THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team DD

Full Fledged Farker
Not sure if this is the right place to post, but thought someone out here may have some suggestions.

I just bought an enclosed trailer and want to hook up some 12v lights to run off a battery and then when hooked up to a generator, the ability to charge the battery and run the 12v lights. Also, I would like to have some 110v outlets when the generator is supplying power.

I know I can get a converter for the 12v system, but not sure if I need to have a breaker panel for the generator. Any suggestions?

I think a little 2000 watt Honda "suitcase" generator/inverter might do the trick. They are light, fuel efficient and super quiet. 2-110v outlets and an optional cable to charge 12 volt battery. And it's a Honda so it will run for ever.

Yes you can have a 12 volt syysyem and a 120 volt system. If starting from Scratch, yes add a breaker panel that can be fed from plugging into an outlet (either a generator or other poer source) and use a charger / Battery tender to charge the 12 volt when powered uu with 120 volt.

I have not looked but would bet there are plenty of diagrahms on line or DIY videos.

I'd go all 120 as well. Besides the fact that you only have to deal with 1 current so wiring it up is simple. Feed a 4 breaker box from the generator putting 1/2 the load for the lights and the outlets across the 4 breakers. 2 for lighting and 2 for outlets. Batteries can leak and create Hydrogen gas while charging. Ever seen what happened to the Hindenburg.

Another trick is to use an inlet on the bottom of the trailer. Most RV's have a pigtail, but that doesn't work well with a cargo trailer since you don't have a place to stow it. Your extension cord plugs into the inlet and then to the generator or mains power. I got one at Menard's, but most big box home improvement stores should have them. Putting it under the trailer, tucked in the frame, keeps the rain off. I would run some 10 ga. up the wall to the breaker panel, just in case you decide to add heat/air/etc.

Make a caddy for the battery/inverter and put a pigtail on it. It can just sit under the trailer when you use battery power and you can take it to the garage to charge it instead of running power to your trailer.

I used a very small 2 breaker panel, which can give you 4 circuits with double breakers.

We did a combo of 120 and 12v in our trailer. We bought a converter with a built in breaker box/fuse panel. It works like a champ. We have a 30 amp inlet outside that feeds the converter, which then branches out to all the 12v lights and 120 v outlets and AC. IT has a built in battery charger, but you don't have to have a battery. The main reason we went this route was because we wanted to make sure that we always had 12v power for the guru, and it seemed all the comps we went to had iffy power.

Bought and enclosed trailer with nothing in it and used the inverter /charger and put the battery in the tong.Its the way to go,we always run our guru off of 12 volts so if the power goes out you have nothing to worry about.

I don't have a comp trailer but I tell you in a race car trailewr you sure want both 12 volt and 120 volts. Power the 120 volt from an outlet or a generator and charge the battery(s) when powered up or towing.

I was close to a Cabelas this week, so I went in there and got a good deal on a single bank battery charger. I am going to give this a shot and see how it goes.

Back