Potatoe Tarrine

BBQ Bacon

is One Chatty Farker
Name or Nickame
Dean
Have seen a few videos of this and since we had a pile of potatoes I thought I could give it a try.

Using the mandolin, sliced the potatoes as thin as possible and started layering into the pan. Brushing with garlic, tarragon and rosemary seasoned melted butter.

Potato-Tarrine-2.jpg

Potato-Tarrine-3.jpg

Potato-Tarrine-4.jpg

Once I reached the top, I sat another pan on top and baked at 325 for 2 hours.

Potato-Tarrine-5.jpg

Once cooled, I added weight to the top pan by putting a cast iron loaf pan on it and put it into the fridge over night.

For dinner last night I pulled it out and started cutting it into shape.

Potato-Tarrine-6.jpg

Potato-Tarrine-7.jpg

Then it was into the hot oil.

Potato-Tarrine-8.jpg

and cooked until crispy.

Potato-Tarrine-9.jpg

Then drain on paper towel.

Potato-Tarrine-1.jpg

They tasted fantastic but they were not holding together overly well. Could be the mandolin did not cut the slices as thin as needed or did not have enough weight while cooking and cooling or a different kind of potato may have held better.

Regardless. I would do it again, but it would have to be a special occasion as it was a lot of work for crispy fry!

Looks amazing!

RE: Not sticking together. Well, it looks good to me from your picks.

I've seen several recipes that include some milk...maybe that helps act as glue? Or maybe you just needed more pressure to get the potato slices to stick to one another better? Not sure...haven't ever made this dish. But I will be soon!

Bruce

Interesting concept - I tried something kind of similar recently, using layers of thinly sliced potatoes with herbed butter and parmesan cheese between each layer, but in a cast iron pan. It was pretty good, I like the shape you got from using a terrine.

Never heard of it but that looks fantastic. I'm sure it tasted great no matter how you spell it.

Looks impressive and a great side when entertaining!

I wonder if leaving out the butter and just using seasoning between layers would result in them sticking together better? Might lack some of the flavor you got but that could be added back by using some butter in the fry possibly.

Looks great to me.

I remember as a child going to farms in Northern Ontario with the natural peat soils. Carrots as big and thick as my upper arm, and potatoes that would take up an entire plate. Some of the biggest vegetables I have ever seen in my life.

Your dilemma of "not sticking" could be due to the variety of potato used. Northern grown potatoes tend to be higher in starch and do not hold their shape when cooking; they tend to crumble / fall apart very easily. They are more suited for baking because of their higher water content.

Potatoes from the southern warmer climates tend to have less water and a "waxy" texture that allows them to hold up well under cooking. These are more suited to stews, soups, stews, and casseroles. Smaller "new potatoes" and "creamers" right out of the ground also seem to have a waxy texture, but during prolonged storage they seem to loose their "waxy" texture and become more starchy.

And then in between you have your "all purpose" potato, some starch and some wax which might me more suited to your purpose. Of this category, the Yukon Gold has a great balance of the two textures.

I looked up Terrine recipes and several soak in milk then layering them into the dish. And they call it Pave! I just learned something new, so I'm done for the week.

That'll teach me for not proof reading before I hit submit!

I just assumed it was the Canadian spellings..

I tried a Pave a few years back after seeing it raved about on some food show. It was definitely good, but took a TON of work for the end result. I feel like if you made it regularly and had a routine and all the right equipment it wouldn't be too horrible. I was using a loaf pan that had sloped sides, where a perfectly square pan would have been easier, etc. I also had really small potatoes where I could have used something larger and cut lengthwise and made life easier.

But, we live and learn. And the best part about this hobby is even when you find things you want to change next time-you still had a good meal from it!

Back