THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi Cheese

Knows what a fatty is.
This is my Grail recipe. I only modified it once, I went from using short ribs to pot roast. Same execution just different meat. The chuck, in my opinion, tastes better and is cheaper. The toppings are a perfect match up.

Try to find the smallest chuck roast since you're using ground beef too.

For the pot roast

1 Beef Chuck roast
1 large yellow onion, quartered with root end intact
2 medium carrots, 1" slices
2 celery stalks, 1" slices
4 whole garlic cloves, smashed
bunchs of fresh thyme and rosemary and 3 bay leaves
1 box low sodium chicken stock
1 box low sodium beef stock (I forget the amounts, but you just want to barely cover the meat, add water if necessary)

In a duch oven, sear the roast on both sides, add the veg/garlic and lightly brown, add the stock and herbs. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 3.5 hours. Remove the meat, cover and let it cool to room temp. (I strained and saved the braising liquid for sauces or stock)

When cool, use forks and pull/shred the roast. I used a 50/50 mixture of the roast and 80/20 ground beef. Add salt and pepper to the mixture and form your burgers. I cooked these outside on my grill's side burner in a cast iron pan for a nice crust. Be careful and only flip once. I use a spare pan or a large wok lid to trap in steam and melt the cheese.

I made tortilla chips by quartering some 6" corn tortillas and lightly frying in oil.

Building the burger. On top of the bottom bun I placed the tortilla chips, then the burger (dripping with fat) with melted pepperjack cheese, sliced hot cherry peppers, sliced red onion, sliced tomato and ketchup.

IMG_0654.jpg

IMG_0658.jpg

IMG_2822.jpg

IMG_2827.jpg

Back