Post turkey Petite Tender & a great loaf of bread

dgaddis1

Full Fledged Farker
We were on the road Thurs-Sun visiting family for Thanksgiving. Between my family, the MIL, and the FIL, we had three Thanksgivings. Here in the south that of course means turkey and/or ham, plus lotsa casseroles. So for dinner Sunday night, I wanted something very different.

Found some petite tender at the local grocery store, and snapped it up - such a great cut of beef, super tender, nice flavor, and very reasonably priced. For ~$12 the wife and I will get two meals out of the package (which has two pieces in it). Lucky for me, while she likes steak, she doesn't eat a lot of it, so I get the majority!

Did a reverse sear on the kettle. Used a couple small pieces of oak for some smoke during the low-temp cook, and nice hot flames during the sear. Cooked to 120*F, then let the flames lick it till the IT temp 130*F. Seasoned with Hardcore Carnivore's Black rub.

This is her plate...I had about twice that much beef.

4W5E7Lfh.jpg

We didn't eat this last night, it was my contribution to Thanksgiving with my family, but it turned out so well I had to share. Since we had a three hour ride to get there I couldn't cook anything, so I brought a loaf of home made sourdough. Mixed it up on Tuesday after lunch, let it rise till about 6pm with a few folds during the day, then shaped and into the loaf pan and into the fridge until I baked it Thursday morning. Before baking I wet the exposed surface to hopefully allow it to expand better, and get some blisters, and I scored it along the long sides, with a shallow score hoping it would give me an ear. GREAT SUCCESS! Next time I'll score the short sides too and I bet the whole thing will lift straight up.

For fellow bread nerds:
700g of flour total (bread flour except what was in the starter)
140g of starter @ 100% hydration, half AP flour, half dark rye
65% hydration
Baked at 425*F for 20mins w/a pot of boiling water in the stove for steam, then removed the water and baked long enough to brown up, about 30mins I think. I didn't bake it too dark as not everyone appreciates a dark baked crusty bread like I do.

After wetting the top, before scoring. It had two bubbles near the surface that I popped.
AEGIbV2h.jpg

Post-bake
VEjXtCgh.jpg

Y1ZAQ3zh.jpg

Hey the steak looks great After all of the turkey we have eat the last week I could really go for it. I really want to try your bread recipe. It looks and sounds like it would be very tasty.
Thanks for posting

I really want to try your bread recipe. It looks and sounds like it would be very tasty. Thanks for posting

I can post more details if you (or anyone else) wants, but if you're into baking bread you pretty much know all you need to from what I posted before.

But if you're not into baking bread, it probably doesn't make any sense haha.

Back