possible 500 gallon smoker build

Clos1986

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Name or Nickame
Carlos
looking to buy a 500 gallon propane tank and turn it into a smoker. thinking of making it a regular offset vs a reverse flow. any difference in flavor profile? does a smoker that big need tunning plates ive been doing research and been reeding how important air flow. should i get a round fire box or sqaure vents or just crack the door open? the fire box will be insulated and going to try to make it as fuel efficient as possible. have never smoked meat on a offset smoker only uds.. also what size pipe should i get for the stack

Wait for DownHomeQue, I hope he'll be by soon. He's got 3 killer smoker builds and I believe his big beast is a 500-gallon special. You could always shoot him a PM--he's the man in the know.

Hey my advice is to go for it! I have a build that is a 600 gallon that me and my dad completed last year. My advice is if you don't go RF definitely do tuning plates no difference in smoke flavor from RF to traditional flow in my experience. I actually prefer traditional with tuning plates. My pit is dead even left to right. Please feel free to PM if you have any questions. also here is a pic of my build!

Attachments

• Memorial Day Weekend 2k17 (5).jpg
    Memorial Day Weekend 2k17 (5).jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 108
Also Feldons is a great tool for getting dimensions for your smoker. I like to go around 108% of what feldons recommends for the FB size, Intakes and exhaust. The firebox on my pit is 30" tall, 40 wide, and 40 deep. Link to my build is in my signature if you would like to check it out. On my pit we went with 2 12" exhaust and 4 6" intakes. I have found my exhaust to be a little overkill lol Unless I want to run some really high temps. For the most part I keep her halfway closed. The intakes are spot on though so I would recommend them.

As far as fuel efficiency it won't come close to using the amount of fuel that your UDS does it will require a lot of wood to keep her going. I think a basic 8 hour cook requires half a bag of charcoal and 16-20 sticks depending upon ambient temps. Fuel efficiency and a cooker this size just don't go together. If you are buying your wood maybe a cooker this size isn't the best way to go. If you can get wood for free it definitely is the way to go. I am just giving my advice having a cooker this size and what to expect.

Back