"Porky", Gamey", "Disgusting" Flavor

just farkin with you bro! All in fun with the brethren. Good question but it was just wide open for a right hook.

Lol, I know. After I hit the "post" button I had one of those moments kind of like the one you just at the point that you let go of your car door and realize that your keys are still in the ignition and will be locked in as soon as the door slams. But, this time it was the thought, somebody is going to have fun with post.

I also notice this in the darker pieces of meat, and I believe packaging plays a part in this as suggested earlier. I have noticed that the twin-packs I get from Sams tend to cook up with more of this dark meat and more of this flavor than the butts I get at a butcher I like going to. I prefer the butts from the butcher for this reason, but still get the twin packs from Sams when the price gets really low and I buy a case of them to stock up.

Wild boar tastes gamey, but I doubt a restaurant was serving boar without advertising it to make it sound all "exotic" and charge extra for it.

I think it's a beast-by-beast thing happening. The large packs of thick-sliced boneless chops they have at Costco usually are all quite light, but there are some that are significantly darker. These are all packed on the same day. Every once in a while there is a pack that is mixed, I suspect having parts from two different beasts.

I have no idea what these beasts eat, but if they are given a mixed bag of items to eat, this could simply be a reflection of what that particular animal liked to eat out off their own dinner plate. Certainly that meat is a big function of what that animal is eating. The jamon in Spain labels the diet of the particular pigs and the difference is significant.

I think it's a beast-by-beast thing happening. The large packs of thick-sliced boneless chops they have at Costco usually are all quite light, but there are some that are significantly darker. These are all packed on the same day. Every once in a while there is a pack that is mixed, I suspect having parts from two different beasts.

I have no idea what these beasts eat, but if they are given a mixed bag of items to eat, this could simply be a reflection of what that particular animal liked to eat out off their own dinner plate. Certainly that meat is a big function of what that animal is eating. The jamon in Spain labels the diet of the particular pigs and the difference is significant.

That's a good point. My father raised hogs all the time. He only fed them grain and, on occasion, corn. The meat was always good tasting. I noticed that the meat we would eat from some other folks that we knew who raised hogs would sometimes have that "porky, fatty, strong" flavor and usually the the hogs it came from were fed what we called "slop." Slop was table scraps and whatever else they could find to feed the hogs with.

I think as pork gets past it's prime, the fat tends to go a little rancid. I believe that might be what you are tasting. I do suppose, however, that what the pig was eating has some influence on what it tastes like, and we know that what hog farmers feed their stock can span an awfully wide spectrum.

Thanks, guys. I like the flavor of pork, I just don't like that strong, fatty, flavor (what ever it is) and the best part is the burping of it. You can enjoy the meal over and over again for several hours. lol

Fresh pork flavor like that from well cooked shoulder or broiled pork loin is good stuff. But, every once in a while you run into that "porky fatty" (is that a better description?) flavor that just sucks.

I did buy some ribs from Wegmans a while back that had it and I decided not to buy Wegman ribs again because of it. Maybe I will look for the lighter color meat from Wegmans and give that a try.

I like using megmans ribs...but it depends where you get them from you can get them fresh from the butcher or in cryovac ... Ive never had a problem with them

pig food

I grew up on a farm and we fed a mix of commercial feed and grain grown on our own farm. Later, after moving out I recreationally raised a few pigs at a time for our own use and family and friends. We lived in Washington, semi-rural and there were lots of apple trees with apples going to waste. Fed our buttcher size pigs lots of apples in the fall for a few weeks before butchering. Best pork I ever ate.
Then one spring we went to the sale barn to buy some weiner pigs to start off with. A group of beautiful butcher hogs was auctioned off per each, by the lb. The price was right, it was Saturday, and a local butcher was present to take orders. We could buy a hog, the butcher would pick up the animal at the sale barn and take it to his facility a mile or so away and do the slaughter and cut/wrap to your order.
A week or so later we picked up our order and I was anxious to have some fried pork chops (my favorite at the time). When I got home from work next evening I was a little surprised to smell that my wife was frying fish.
Looong story short-- even the bacon had a fishy smell. I complained to the butcher, and he told me everybody else was mad too. It seems a local commercial fisherman was feeding his pigs the scrap fish he brought home from work.
we are what we eat

aca38fab77e499e0d3a8900527137298_dont-want-this-thread-to-end-by-motonova-meme-center-thread-meme_551-579.jpeg

This condition in pork is referred to as "boar taint." It is not spoiled meat but it sure does carry an off-putting flavor. Visual examination is usually insufficient for detection.

Could Be the breed also. Some pork is stronger than others. And could be what they fed the hogs the first 45-75 days. Hogs are finished like a beef is. The flavor of the hog actually comes from its earlier life. Although good to finish well also.

Over the last two years ive greatly cut down the amount of pork i eat. I used to love ribs and pulled pork. They were my automatic goto when bbqing, now i cant stand them. No matter how i cook them there is always a foul almost dirty taste / smell that i cant stand.

More recently ive started to notice it more in certain brands of breakfast sausage, not so much bacon or ham. In my house we could go through a box of jimmy dean sausage biscuits like it was nothing. I ended up trashing a good deal of the last two boxes because there was a smell that we couldnt stand.

I dont know if its related but about two years ago congress passed some measure where food manufactures didnt have to label country of orgin on pre-cooked food or raw foods. But ive come to the conclusion that the issue isnt in my head.

I hate when old threads like this get popped. I never look at the first post date. I get about halfway through it before I realize it's 7 years old. Don't get me wrong, still some valid information...

Back