Pork (Shoulder) secrets from a MIM/MBN/GBA/FBA/KCBS competitor and judge

I'm not knocking peach and perch marmalade. I think that's a good combination, but I just question using it on the pork. For an expert opinion on all types of perch marmalade, PM Ron.

OK, I'll share another secret though I don't thik it's a big secret. Add some lemon juice to the injection recipe.

Ok, sharing a secret. In my injection, we use:

Apple Juice
Worchestershire Sauce
a little of our/my rub

AND (the secret) Creole Butter

1) the important message was received and addressed. :thumb:
2) sorry to hear about your freind.

and waaay down the list in importance my questions...

what's your rub? :becky:
do you make or buy creole butter?

Ok, sharing a secret. In my injection, we use:

Apple Juice
Worchestershire Sauce
a little of our/my rub

AND (the secret) Creole Butter

Is that creole butter like the injection you buy at the store?

PS. I joined the group.

Condolences on the loss of your friend and prayers for Dan.

As for the pork, if we're talking competition, here are a few thoughts:

1 - Fairly aggressive trimming around the money muscle gives you beautiful medallions later for presentation.
2 - Don't inject the money muscle if you're going to slice it, to avoid track marks (we inject everything else heavily)
3 - Take your pulled pork from the meat closest to the bone, avoid the whitest meat entirely, it's tougher and drier
4 - Keep the meat as warm as possible and pour on some very hot, very thin sauce right before it goes into the box.
5 - Peach nectar works very well with pork
6 - Bark is flavor, there's almost no such thing as too much rub on a pork butt

Mister Bob, THANKS! Good "secrets"! We had a team practice today (and sauce tasting) for MBN and practiced pulling the bone (as in presentation) and then immediately going to the money muscle and pulling it out for the first, moist pulled pork pieces with great bark, then back into the meat closest to the bone (as you said).

I PM'ed ronelle (Ron_L) about the pearch injection, he said he formed a group to discuss this and other oddities of the BBQ world. Y'all should PM him also, very informative that group:thumb:

Thanks B-Lazy and everyone else!!!

To the creole butter questions: I use "Cajun Injectors Creole Butter Marinade", but smaller amounts than apple juice, etc. Much smaller.

Back