THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Estimates are over 7 million on Monday this week and it's not a new virus."

It's new in the US. First cases were a year ago right now. The virus did not take off significantly until last fall and winter. Massive piglet losses November through February is what is driving current pork prices, which are historically high.

Apparently we have different definitions of new as for me a year ago is old news and 7 million dead pigs didn't happen over night. You're thinking new in geologic terms :wink:

"Apparently we have different definitions of new as for me a year ago is old news and 7 million dead pigs didn't happen over night. You're thinking new in geologic terms "

I understand my friend. New virus introductions are rare (fortunately) and a virus that has been here one year is a very new introduction. This is a bad one and I have spent a lot of time in the past year helping my clients to cope with it. No fun.

The main point for all of us BBQ guys is the pork is safe. Unfortunately it is going to cost us a bit more for the next year, but IMO it is worth it!

Pork butts have always been that price at all the Food Lions near us. That's why I only buy mine at Wegman's since their price is locked in at 1.29 a pound and has been for years. It's part of their policy to never change or raise prices on certain foods no matter what's going on in the market place and no I don't work for Wegman's. :tongue:

"Apparently we have different definitions of new as for me a year ago is old news and 7 million dead pigs didn't happen over night. You're thinking new in geologic terms "

I understand my friend. New virus introductions are rare (fortunately) and a virus that has been here one year is a very new introduction. This is a bad one and I have spent a lot of time in the past year helping my clients to cope with it. No fun.

The main point for all of us BBQ guys is the pork is safe. Unfortunately it is going to cost us a bit more for the next year, but IMO it is worth it!

As I have said in the past it's not just one simple pig virus (Howard stern reference). No Maine shrimp season, winter scallop all time low, ground fish wiped, lobstah at very low groundings, spring smelt canceled... Not good all around. Buckle up and tighten the belt.

I sent that pic to my neighbor who works for Smithfield Meats. He is under the impression the store screwed up. I haven't seen them reach "ridiculousness" here. Yet. But I'm not paying $2.99/lb either. I'll buy beef.

It is not just virus's and onslaught of said virus that is driving prices higher.

All farmers that raise slaughter animals have cut herd populations back due to the increased costs of raising said animals. That started 3-4 years ago. A friend of mine that sells meat by the rail car load warned me of the impending price hikes when it started.

For those of you who have been on the fence about buying meat processing equipment and acquiring the skills to at least butcher whole meat muscle groups, now is the time to do so. Buy the equipment, ie- grinder, a dedicated stuffer, knives, butcher paper, etc etc...I can currently buy a whole brisket for example cheaper than hamburger. It takes a little time out of a Saturday but i can grind and package a brisket pretty quickly and control the fat content. Sausage is easily made.
If you can buy halves/whole animals and cut down the animal and package yourself the cost comes down dramatically.
Otherwise, look to restaurant supply stores that sell case meat. Here in the west we have Cash and Carry, Restaurant Depot. They do have sales, purchase when the sales are happening and fill your freezer.

As I have said in the past it's not just one simple pig virus (Howard stern reference). No Maine shrimp season, winter scallop all time low, ground fish wiped, lobstah at very low groundings, spring smelt canceled... Not good all around. Buckle up and tighten the belt.

Odd, they did not cancel it here. The spring 'nook run on the Columbia was also very healthy, tasty also. :fish2:

I cant wait for the fall run as it is expected be to larger than last falls. Of which i was able to put away 80 lbs of which is now almost gone. :shock:

Odd, they did not cancel it here. The spring 'nook run on the Columbia was also very healthy, tasty also. :fish2:

I cant wait for the fall run as it is expected be to larger than last falls. Of which i was able to put away 80 lbs of which is now almost gone. :shock:

"The Maine Department of Marine Resources has announced a closure of Maine’s smelt fishery along the southern half of the state’s coastline, beginning March 14 and lasting 90 days. The closure is in response to a decline in smelt populations, with the state reporting that 50 percent of surveyed spawning sites have experienced severe reductions in smelt numbers since the 1970s. Smelt are an anadromous fish, meaning they return to coastal rivers to spawn. The closure will cover the majority of this spawning period and stretch from Stonington to the New Hampshire border."

http://www.talkingfish.org/in-the-news/fish-talk-in-the-news-friday-march-14

Don't know where your fishing but yes they did.

I sent that pic to my neighbor who works for Smithfield Meats. He is under the impression the store screwed up. I haven't seen them reach "ridiculousness" here. Yet. But I'm not paying $2.99/lb either. I'll buy beef.
I checked again today at the same Food Lion and unfortunately they are the same price.

My son called me from Atlanta yesterday to tell me that he saw Oscar Meyer bacon priced at just under $8.00 per pound. :shocked:

Back