THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Home Farm BBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Justin
Cooking pork loins for my friends family Christmas this week. I’m cooking the pork loin to 140. Rest and then need to package for them to enjoy a week later. I’ll be out of state for that week visiting family.

My plan was to let it rest to cool and get up to 145 once taken off. I was asked if I could slice it which isn’t a big deal to me. Just trying to have the best finished product for them. They could always slice it later to avoid using juices if needed.

What are suggestions for this scenario? Packaging and best reheating methods for them? Slice or no slice?

They will have oven, roasters, or I can give them sternos with equipment for serving once heated back up.

Thanks for any advice in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My plan would be to: Inject them at least 4 hours before smoking, and during the 2.5 hours or so on the pit I'd mix an ice water slurry in a cooler. You can add rock salt if you want it super cold. At 140° I would remove and rest until they drop about 10°. Next, double wrap in foil with some apple juice and put them into the 2.5 gallon zipper bags. Submerge the zipper bags in the slurry. Your goal is to get them below 40° as fast as you can. Once they are thoroughly chilled, remove from the zipper bags and freeze.

For reheating, your friends need to move them into the fridge 48 hours to slow thaw. They can take the foil pouches (on a sheet tray with the seam up) and put them in a 250° oven and heat until the internal is 125° or 130°. Let them do the slicing, it doesn't get any easier.

My plan would be to: Inject them at least 4 hours before smoking, and during the 2.5 hours or so on the pit I'd mix an ice water slurry in a cooler. You can add rock salt if you want it super cold. At 140° I would remove and rest until they drop about 10°. Next, double wrap in foil with some apple juice and put them into the 2.5 gallon zipper bags. Submerge the zipper bags in the slurry. Your goal is to get them below 40° as fast as you can. Once they are thoroughly chilled, remove from the zipper bags and freeze.

For reheating, your friends need to move them into the fridge 48 hours to slow thaw. They can take the foil pouches (on a sheet tray with the seam up) and put them in a 250° oven and heat until the internal is 125° or 130°. Let them do the slicing, it doesn't get any easier.

This is the type of idea I was looking for. I agree as said above the whole loin is the way to go for the juices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would do what Thirdeye suggest but I would Vac Seal them Then after the fridge thaw you can put the sealed bag in boiling water or to a sous vide bath to reheat I presliced it will reheat faster

Back