Pork Butt..

As Keale said, it is pretty hard to mess up, good luck on your paper and enjoy the cook.

I don't see pics, this obviously ain't happening.

I want to Q but my cookers are 3 hours away, so I need to cook thru someone remotely.

Worry about the paper and not the butt!!! Trust me on this one. I have two master's and have cooked hundreds of butts. You will be hard pressed to mess up the butt and only one chance one the paper.

Spritz, no spritz, foil, no foil, fat cap up, fat cap down... it really doesn't matter. Just get the internal temp to 190 or so and then cooler for at least an hour. It will all be good!!

Best of luck brother...

Lets see... you posted just before 5:00 pm... and smoking a butt @ 225*
When did you butt go on and how much did it weigh?
At 90 minutes a pound... realizing its not nuked Q... some folks are requiring pics.

Don't ask me how I know this...:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

True to the above suuggestions on butt... its very forgiving.... and easy to work with. You will indeed enjoy the results!

Lets see... you posted just before 5:00 pm... and smoking a butt @ 225*
When did you butt go on and how much did it weigh?
At 90 minutes a pound... realizing its not nuked Q... some folks are requiring pics.

Don't ask me how I know this...:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

True to the above suuggestions on butt... its very forgiving.... and easy to work with. You will indeed enjoy the results!

The butt weighed 8.86lbs and I put it on the smoker at 5:36pm CST. I anticipate it coming off around 7:06am CST. Letting it sit foiled in the cooler for a few hours while I take the family for a short boat ride around the lake. Pics will follow.

Pulled pork for lunch!

cooler the butt until it hits 160* to allow the connective tissue enough time to break down ... and get potato rolls! also try some mustard sauce on it. use 1/2 cup yellow mustard, 1/8 cup molasses, hot sauce, sugar salt and pepper to taste and heat to mix.

Looks like a great weekend. Good looking smoked pork and a small child peeing in the lake!

What more could anyone ask for?

Great job!

I lived in Texas for over 30 years and did not know what pork butts were until I moved to AR.

Good job on the first go round.

Cook one with spritz and one without spritz and I guarantee you won't waste your time spritzing a pork roast again. I just never found that it did anything other than cool off the inside of the smoker. Spritz is not the same as mop and mop should only be used on smaller cuts of meat to add flavor during the last hour of so of the cook.

I do know that it gets pretty boreing tending the pit and an occasional spritz and mop keeps you involved and awake. If it makes the process more fun for you then do it, because life is more than just eating BBQ. If that was the case we would all have electric smoker ovens that we loaded in the morning and unloaded for supper after a $hiddi day at work.

Cook one with spritz and one without spritz and I guarantee you won't waste your time spritzing a pork roast again. I just never found that it did anything other than cool off the inside of the smoker. Spritz is not the same as mop and mop should only be used on smaller cuts of meat to add flavor during the last hour of so of the cook.

I do know that it gets pretty boreing tending the pit and an occasional spritz and mop keeps you involved and awake. If it makes the process more fun for you then do it, because life is more than just eating BBQ. If that was the case we would all have electric smoker ovens that we loaded in the morning and unloaded for supper after just another $hiddi day at work.

Wayne! You have such a way with words...

The pull pork look wonderful but it look like a picnic to me but Im' old and don't see all that well

You are right jestridge, it do look a lot like a picnic. Butt it does look wonderful too.

Great job there salth2o. Yumm-o. [rachel ray mod]

Back