Pork Butt Ruling

But the rule isn't inconsistent Chris. You can't part pork. End of story. They (the BOD at the time) felt you could part brisket, and that is why there is no rule for it. Remember, this rule was put into place not to screw people out of being able to reheat their pulled pork. It was to discontinue the use of cutting the nose of a butt off and finish cooking the rest of it for pulled pork. I for one would rather this BOD grow some and say you can't part any brisket or pork butt. That would take care of the whole mess that cooks are making this rule turn out to be.

But to me, I do not see an issue. You can't co it, complaining about it does no good either. so if I was you, I would start a drive to stop the parting of brisket. You might have a better chance at getting that one passed than the pork issue.

I see, I am complaining. I thought as a paid KCBS member I could ask a board member a question.

The rule is inconsistent. You can part and return all meats except Pork. Thats inconsistent. If there is a reason to single out Pork, I ask those on the rules committee to let the reason be known.

I see, I am complaining. I thought as a paid KCBS member I could ask a board member a question.

The rule is inconsistent. You can part and return all meats except Pork. Thats inconsistent. If there is a reason to single out Pork, I ask those on the rules committee to let the reason be known.

Chris, I apologize, as that "complaining" part was not directed at you individually. But as a group in whole. The only way to get something done is to address the BOD. They have said they don't want anything to do with it.

Trust me, I understand the frustration, as there are inconsistent rules. I've always complained about the "gray area" in rules. I don't want one rep ruling one way and another rep ruling a completely different way. But I also realize that to have a rule book as complex as we really want it for the cooks side, would be unrealistic. So I play within the rules that they give us. If they ever change the rules, then I guess I would have to re-think my cooking...

As for getting a response out of a BOD member on a Forum. I 'm not sure how much of that will be going on. They all read it, I am not sure if they can respond though.... :evil: Ah, the life of a KCBS BOD Member... No thanks... Not for me...

No harm, no foul. Linda chimed in so I was hoping to get more comments from her. I play by the rules too. Honestly its not a big deal for me, I've learned to work around it. I would just like to see the rules committee comment on why they think this rule (and its interpretation) is important to preserve.

Chris, I apologize, as that "complaining" part was not directed at you individually. But as a group in whole. The only way to get something done is to address the BOD. They have said they don't want anything to do with it.

Trust me, I understand the frustration, as there are inconsistent rules. I've always complained about the "gray area" in rules. I don't want one rep ruling one way and another rep ruling a completely different way. But I also realize that to have a rule book as complex as we really want it for the cooks side, would be unrealistic. So I play within the rules that they give us. If they ever change the rules, then I guess I would have to re-think my cooking...

As for getting a response out of a BOD member on a Forum. I 'm not sure how much of that will be going on. They all read it, I am not sure if they can respond though.... :evil: Ah, the life of a KCBS BOD Member... No thanks... Not for me...

Actually no - the thigh would be fine as the brisket is just one cut of the bovine and the butt and ribs are both just one cut of the swine.

But to be consistent with Juggy's post above regarding pork and butts, maybe chicken should be limited to thighs. :icon_shy (ill go duck now)

Yes, and seperating thighs from the chicken is illegal.

Actually no - the thigh would be fine as the brisket is just one cut of the bovine and the butt and ribs are both just one cut of the swine.

But to be consistent with Juggy's post above regarding pork and butts, maybe chicken should be limited to thighs. :icon_shy (ill go duck now)

You can say that again!

Thanks! I hope they do tweak the parting rule if for no other reason than to finally end these tireless discussions. And a flat is a brisket with or without the point IMO.

The pork rule was intended to make new guys like me learn how to cook a pork butt whole in the BBQ style.

I'd say that when they made the no parting pork rule, they never even remotely farking imagined that someday guys would slice their brisket and put it back in the cooker. But then they probably didn't think that someday we'd all be cooking thighs only, poached in a pan of butter. The teams used to cook BBQ back then so it was a lot different.

AMEN!

Parting (processing) pork and putting it back in the cooker only means you didn't cook it right to start with, or you missed your mark on your timing.

I only compete part time, but i know how to cook pork shoulder, and the few times I have put pork back in the cooker was either a timing issue (keep a tray of processed pork warm that was done too early) or a cooking issue. If I nail the timing, and the cooking my shoulder is perfect just the way it is when it comes off the cooker.

Oh..and the money muscle? what a bunch of crap that is.

I would defy anyone to tell one piece of shoulder from another by taste alone - again assuming it is cooked properly.

While we are stirring up controversial issues......I want to taste meat not sauce :mrgreen:

I really hope the board doesn't buckle under to this. IMO it would be a huge step in the wrong direction.
I'd like to warm a pan of pulled pork (not processed, whatever that means) too but not at the loss of the rule that requires you to cook a pork butt in the BBQ way.

If we must change the brisket rule to comply and end this nonsense then so be it.

I really hope the board doesn't buckle under to this. IMO it would be a huge step in the wrong direction.
I'd like to warm a pan of pulled pork (not processed, whatever that means) too but not at the loss of the rule that requires you to cook a pork butt in the BBQ way.

If we must change the brisket rule to comply and end this nonsense then so be it.

Somehow I suspect that would just open another can of worms.

Chime in I will. This was discussed at length at the Rules meeting in Philly, too bad you all weren't there. But several recommendations came from it, they will be compiled and brought to the BOD in Feb. That is the way we handle rule changes. After the BOD approves or disapproves any changes it will be posted.......

Bbq

The rules should read that nothing comes off a cooker and goes back on. There should be be NO foil, pans, or anything other than meat in a cooker or over wood/coals. Spray, baste, turn, move around, then remove, cut/pull/slice, and serve. Its all about the MEAT.

and...

Nothing that requires electricity - pellet poopers or gurus or stokers. Stay sober and awake. Its BBQ, not a fru fru cooking contest. Leave that to Food Network and Bravo's Top Chef....

The rules should read that nothing comes off a cooker and goes back on. There should be be NO foil, pans, or anything other than meat in a cooker or over wood/coals. Spray, baste, turn, move around, then remove, cut/pull/slice, and serve. Its all about the MEAT.

Nothing that requires electricity - pellet poopers or gurus or stokers. Stay sober and awake. Its BBQ, not a fru fru cooking contest. Leave that to Food Network and Bravo's Top Chef....

I'd sign up for that comp in a split second!
It is absolutely all about the meat, and BBQ is an art, not something that should be allowed to be achieved by more & more advanced technology, or by manipulation of the rules.

just saying

Chime in I will. This was discussed at length at the Rules meeting in Philly, too bad you all weren't there. But several recommendations came from it, they will be compiled and brought to the BOD in Feb. That is the way we handle rule changes. After the BOD approves or disapproves any changes it will be posted.......

OK, I didnt realize you needed to be at the meeting to get info on these matters. I'll make more of an effort to attend next time. It would be great if when the rule change was posted the rules committee provided some information as to what the goal of the rule change was.

we all get our meat inspected . I don`t seperate the muscle if somebody is kicking my arse in pork .I can try what they are doing. Or try to get my pork to taste better. Taste scores should start at 6 I AINT SCARED

We're not worthy....

Last edited:
OK, I didnt realize you needed to be at the meeting to get info on these matters. I'll make more of an effort to attend next time. It would be great if when the rule change was posted the rules committee provided some information as to what the goal of the rule change was.

Sure wish you had made it down, Chris! I believe there'll be plenty of time to discuss new rules for 2011, rather than implementing changes suggested at the rules meeting. This was my first ever rules meeting and I'd say most of the changes are clarifications. I was surprised that more cooks didn't attend the meeting. Something about cheese steaks, I believe.

Back