Polish food?

aswoboda

Knows what a fatty is.
Alright brothers, I'm polish but I've never eaten any authentic food or know where to find any near st Louis, any body got Amy suggestions?

I dont know any Polish places near St loius. But I love O.T. Hodges Chili Parlor.

I could share with you how to make the best perogies in the worlkd though.
I have some ither good Polish recipes too that are specialties of the house like a pot roast of beef and dill pickles.

The best Polish food is made at home. You wont get it in a restaurant unfortunately.

I dont know any Polish places near St loius. But I love O.T. Hodges Chili Parlor.

I could share with you how to make the best perogies in the worlkd though.
I have some ither good Polish recipes too that are specialties of the house like a pot roast of beef and dill pickles.

The best Polish food is made at home. You wont get it in a restaurant unfortunately.

Please PM me on the Perogie recipe and if you have a Polish Goulash recipe I'd appreciate that also.

We usually start making a lot of Polish and Eastern European food when the weather starts getting cold. I love coming home on a cold day to pack the crock with cabbage to make sauerkraut and rolling out the dough for perogies. Great soul warming food.

For my perogies I start by gathering all of the ingredients and first boiling the potatoes. Use good boiling potatoes. I like the yukon golds. After they are coeked set them to cool and save the starchy water.

Then I start the dough in the kitchen aid mixer or other. You can even make the dough in a food processor. You will have to adjust the dough recipe if you are making more perogies.

2cups flour
1/4 cup sour cream
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon salt.
1/2 cup boiling water from the potatoes.

Mix the dough and add the boiling water till it makes a workable dough. The form it out into golf ball size pieces for average size perogies. Sometimes I make really big ones.

For the filling take a saute pan and brown some a large onion chopped fine, with a couple of cloves of garlic chopped fine. I use butter but you can use veg oil or other. When through in a healthy pinch of marjoram, a good pinch of caraway seeds and a pinch of celery seeds, salt and pepper. Then mash the mixer well into the cooked potatoes, mashin one egg too. This will help the filling bind a little when cooked.

Perogies004.jpg

Perogies005.jpg

Then roll out the little balls as thing as you can. drop a tablespoon of filling onto the center. put your finger in a little water then pas it around the edge of the dough where it needs to seal. Then carefully pull the sough over and pinch the seam closed. Drop them into vigorously boiling water to cook. Put them gently into the water and use a slothed spoon to keep them off of the bottom for a few seconds. This will keep them from sticking. When the perogies float they are done. Set them aside on a plate with a little oil on them so they do not stick together.

Afetr all of the perogies are cooked and just before serving brown an ass load of onions in a large pan, using butter or lard, you can use cooking oil too.

Then drop the perogies into the cooking onoins and fry them a little flipping them over every now and again. The best ones are the ones that get a little crispy brown on them.

Perogies006.jpg

mamka-2xchecksfromPattie008.jpg

Ill post some more good ones tomorrow. Beef and pickle pot roast, goulash, sauerkraut, and cant forget Bigos!

I'm NOT 100 percent Polish but several of my family members are ( I'm American mostly german to be exact)....... Authentic well in Poland they probably boil it BUT. get some LEGIT kielbasa and grill it like you grill brats and IMO it's the finest sausage you can put on a grill. HOWEVER I happen to originally be from an area where there isn't any white people that don't have kraut or polock roots (I have both). That might get me a warning but you Know what I mean. I can't buy legit Kielbasa here in Virginia. I buy a S ton of it when I go home to Michigan freeze it ice the crap out of it and put it in the freezer as soon as I get home.

Didn't read your whole post sorry. I thought you had been deprived of Perogies and duck blood soup all your life. Either way REAL Kielbasa needs a lot more press and maybe you need to start making and selling it in your area. I'm thinking about it.

Oh my god my drunken german / polish behind just read it again......... You haven't....... I read in the polish fashion!

google some kielbasa recipes. buy the stuff make some and GRILL IT! If you gotta you gotta. and it sounds like you gotta.

What's weird a LOT of the stuff I grew up eating I never actually KNEW it was Polish food until I was in my 20's I thought all Americans ate Kielbasa and Saurkraut all the time. If you are ever headed to Bay City Michigan Hit up Krysiaks. Or if your hatred of the Cubs is small enough you can get to Chicago, you can get the real stuff there to.

I actually love sauerkraut or sauerkraut and mushroom pierogi a lot. I normally just buy pre-made from Polska Delikateski out here locally.

Oh yeah, gotta so some sauerkraut. You need to get some big late season cabbage. Comes out around here in September October. Then grate it up and put it in a tub big enough to salt it and toss it around so it is covered in salt, Use only kosher salt.

I pack a big ceramic crock, but a food grade plastic bucket works great.

Then take a big piece of wood, baseball bat or your fist and punch and pack it down till it yields its juice, a brine will fill over top of the cabbage.

Pie005-4.jpg

Pie008-2.jpg

Then put a plate or something on to and weight it with a gallon milk jug full of water, this will keep the kraut under the brine. Cover it with a cheese cloth or clean towel and tie it with twine to keep dust and bugs out. Put it in a dark place and leave it for 4-10 weeks or more. some people skim off the scum from time to time but I dont.

I think one of the most interesting polish dishes is a beef pot roast made with dill pickles. Sorry I forget what to call it in polish.

Beef bones for stock (simmer bones with all of the peelings form the other veg and strain)

Pot roast beef, You can use almost any roast cut but look for something with some fat in it.

About six good deli dill pickles chopped to half inch squares.

Two large onions, chopped fine.

two cloves of garlic chopped fine.

stalk of celery chopped.

Fist full of fresh chopped dill.

1/4 cup red wine.

teaspoon of marjoram.

1/2 teaspoon of caraway seeds.

1 bay leaf.

salt and pepper

Butter and flour for a roux.

two cups sour cream.

In a large hot stew pot add a little oil and brown the roast on all sides remove and set aside.

Then put all of the chopped onions and garlic. Stir till golden brown. Now add the chopped pickles and let them caramelize a little too. Add the chopped celery.

Add all of the spices and herbs except for the fresh dill.

Toss for a moment then deglaze with the red wine, return the beef back to the pot and pour the beef stock on top till it is 3/4 the way up the roast.

Bring to a boil then turn it down to a simmer and let it simmer till the meat is tender.

Then melt some butter in a pan and lightly stir in some flour till it gets a little toasty. This will be the thickening agent for the gravy.

Take some of the broth out and pour it in a bowl, mix in well two cups of sour cream. Then return the mixture to the pot and stir it in. Keep it simmering and then gradual add a little roux at a time until the desired thickness is archived.

When the sauce is thick remove the beef to a plate, slice it and then top it with the dill pickle gravy.

mamka-2xchecksfromPattie009.jpg

Gulash2009085.jpg

How bout peroshki? They are basically perogies, only you make bread dough, let it rise then roll it out and fill with the potato filling just like perogies, then you deep fry them and they become little potato pies. The kids go nuts for these.

Gulash2009087.jpg

Gulash2009088.jpg

Gulash2009089.jpg

Oh, cant forget cured and cold smoked kielbasa and assorted meats.

Gulash2009016.jpg

I have more but my typing skills suck. Ill feed them onto here over the next several weeks. :becky:

Thats easy, Bigos may be different in every house.

Most Polish people make bigos over a few days. They start by browning onions with a little garlic. Then they put in a bunch of drained sauerkraut and saute it. The sauerkraut should get brown. Then they put in some left over smoked or roasted meat. And heat it a little. Then put it in the fridge. Every night they may put some leftovers in there and reheat.

By Sunday it is ready, It is heated up one last time, some kielbasa is added and some red wine and broth is added. Some put in tomato past or even brown sugar.

Bigos is any variation of this including caramelized onions and sauerkraut with smoked game and kielbasa, garlic, Broth, vegetables, marjoram, celery seed, paprika salt pepper.

The secret to authentic flavor in your bigos is let the onions and sauerkraut caramelize till they are dark brown.

I don't wish to hijack, but......

Capozzoli, with your perogies how many potatoes do you boil for this recipe?

Back