PLEASE READ: BPSA(Brethren Public Service Announcement)—Topic—Hijacking in Q-Talk!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sher do godda lodda trouble makers around here... we'd be way better without all dem modzors haxoring our posts all the times. :wink: :twisted:

What if we preface our off topic post with "O/T - "? Is it okay then?

Other areas exist on the forum for things like that.

The issue is that as the forum continues to grow, the good natured comments that weren't a problem at one time can quickly derail a thread and make it difficult to sort out the information that can become buried in the banter.

The issue is that as the forum continues to grow, the good natured comments that weren't a problem at one time can quickly derail a thread and make it difficult to sort out the information that can become buried in the banter.
Excellent point Jorge. I'll miss some of the banter though.

Excellent point Jorge. I'll miss some of the banter though.

I think its important for each of us to remember to differentiate between helpful bits of information, and clowning around... I would really hate to lose the "I've tried it this way" or "I used to do it that way, but don't now because..." Type of info.

So many times I open a thread on some mundane been there-done that topic only to find a nugget of inspiration or revalation from someones off handed (not off topic) comment.
Its those gems that make this community special and a great source of info.

Exactly. Well stated, Jorge.

What if we preface our off topic post with "O/T - "? Is it okay then?
Only thing I can do is simply refer to the header once again:

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

As Jorge stated, there are other forums here that would be better suited for off topic posts and material.

Thanks again. In all seriousness, this is a problem we've noticed get more and more out of hand. As I stated in the BPSA, we will be more proactive in cleaning up threads. Again, it's nothing personal, but more of a "house cleaning" and "forum efficiency" issue, but more importantly getting people the real information they need and are asking for.

Bob

Bob, Jorge, and all,
I know that I sometimes can be blamed for the off topic remarks. I mean no harm, but now realize that it can be a problem. I'll try to refrain, even though, that'll be difficult for me at times. You all know what a sense of humor Pastors have. LOL. Seriously, though, if I do forget and post off topic, I won't be offended if you scrub the post, and ask that you not take it as an insult or disobedience when I do. I'll get it sooner or later...Lord willing, sooner!

Actually, I was serious Jorge. I have learned my lesson and was surprised these posts have remained.

Actually, I was serious Jorge. I have learned my lesson and was surprised these posts have remained.

you are good to go:becky:

Bob put it about as nicely as he could have. I'm sure it was appreciated more than my usual hardass approach. Where did that courtesy get Bob? A bunch of folks wanting to get the last shot, or word in. I think he's due an apology from some.

If anybody wants to screw around, Woodpile is there.

Seriously... As someone who ran my own forum for several years, with the help of two conscientious moderators, I understand the importance of good moderation and not allowing things to stray to far off topic. But considering the origins of this forum, there does seem to be some irony here, and I hope the message isn't that all banter and good natured, light hearted "ribbing"(pardon the pun) will no longer be allowed in the q-talk sub-forum. That is one of the things that makes this forum appealing, along with the vast amounts of helpful information to be found here.

Seriously... As someone who ran my own forum for several years, with the help of two conscientious moderators, I understand the importance of good moderation and not allowing things to stray to far off topic. But considering the origins of this forum, there does seem to be some irony here, and I hope the message isn't that all banter and good natured, light hearted "ribbing"(pardon the pun) will no longer be allowed in the q-talk sub-forum. That is one of the things that makes this forum appealing, along with the vast amounts of helpful information to be found here.

Let's put it this way. Posts to this thread are no longer necessary UNLESS, they are ON TOPIC. We can actually start practicing with this thread. The original post is signed, "Your Moderating Team." I think the reasons and purpose were stated quite clearly in the Original Post.

Bob

DennD-The problem with "good natured, light hearted "ribbing" is that one "good natured, light hearted "ribbing" post, leads to two, then three, then four and before we know it, the thread has been extensively derailed. By no means are we trying to ban good natured banter within an On Topic post, but posts that contain nothing more than "highjacking material" and offer nothing to the topic at hand is what we are trying to get under control.

Thanks,

Bob

I think what Bob and the rest of the Moderating Team is asking is worth our respect - not just because they are moderators, but because they are right. With so many people on list now, it's easy to get totally lost.

I appreciate the humor, good natured ribbing, etc. and that can continue [the way I understand it] as long as it doesn't take over - or predominate the post. In Q-talk, people want answers when they ask questions - we should help them to get the answers they are looking for - and if we do so in a good natured, humorous way, there should be no problem.

Is that right, mod team?

The occasional comment is one thing. The trashing of a thread is something completely different.

With the growth of this forum, myself and other moderators really don't have the time to go back and clean a thread up after the fact as we used to. Beyond that, Woodpile exists for a reason:becky:

If the membership can control those urges to hijack a thread, the moderators can let it go. However, it seems to be a recurring cycle that when we do that...the restraint initially shown by membership will fade.

In a polite manner, Bob pointed out the issue and the resulting comments seemed to reinforce the point. Everyone is encouraged to contribute and have a good time. We'd just appreciate if the membership would recognize that after a zinger or two, that they are NOT the next Rodney Dangerfield.

Fair enough?

This thread actually became a very strong example of the point we are trying to get across. ONE jacked post....................leads to MANY(Most times very quickly!). Which leads to more work on our end. One more thing I will share at THIS point is the number of PMs I have received from new and long time members that actually DON'T appreciate their threads getting "jacked".
Take this thread for example. Look at the "Moderation Work and Detail and PMs" it created. One last thing I'll add, is that when any mod goes "green" or "red" it's because we are trying to get a point across or difuse a touchy subject or situation. At that point, we are not "Insert Mod Name Here" the Member, but "Insert Mod Name Here" the Moderator.
The last thing any Mod wants to do is extensively scrub a thread or worse, move to Woodpile, because it has lost its original purpose and intent.
The point is really this......."Keep the Original Poster and the purpose of their thread in mind when you reply to it."

As Jorge inquired........"Fair Enough?"

Thanks.

Bob

Last edited:
I think what Bob and the rest of the Moderating Team is asking is worth our respect - not just because they are moderators, but because they are right. With so many people on list now, it's easy to get totally lost.

I appreciate the humor, good natured ribbing, etc. and that can continue [the way I understand it] as long as it doesn't take over - or predominate the post. In Q-talk, people want answers when they ask questions - we should help them to get the answers they are looking for - and if we do so in a good natured, humorous way, there should be no problem.

Is that right, mod team?

That's right. I'll add one little item though....."and if we do so in a good natured, humorous (and On Topic) way, there should be no problem."

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back