Please Educate Me On Buying A Prime Rib Roast

I agree with VoodoChild. Great thread, and I'm enjoying it immensely. BTW... thanks VC for posting that chart. That helps a whole lot!! :clap2:

Great Information. I found a few Pictures on the Web of some Roasts.

I would like to know which end these cuts are from and will list them as close to the ones at Albertsons. Which Bones and end are they from?????????

First one is closest to the $3.97 a lb roasts Albertson's are selling as to Marbling.

This one looks boneless but the ones at Albertson's are Bone In.

PrimeRib3.jpg

This looks to be the same cut but flatter and Less meat, still looks to be Boneless.

PrimbRib6.jpg

This would be close to the Ribeye Cut for $4.99 a Lb. It looks to have the best Marbling but also the least meat.

PrimbRib5-1.jpg

I am thinking that the Ribeye cut looks more appealing but may not be the best choice because it has less meat.

You can definitely see the difference in the muscles for the top two. If you're feeding many, the more actual meat may be best. It's not as if there's THAT much of a difference as it's all still "ribeye" and your guests are going to love it anyway Terry because you cooked it after all.

The first picture is hard to tell because of the angle; but it may be bone-in
like the other two.
The second and third pictures look like the Ribs (bones) have been cut off
and then tied back on to make it easier for you to serve. This is very common
for butchers to do now. The third picture is what I usually look for when I
buy "Prime Rib". It has the most meat, and it has the best marbling of the
3, I look for the "spiderweb" type of marbling throughout the meat....where
it has very small lines of fat all over; this will melt out as it cooks making it
very tender (as long as it isn't overcooked) and will provide the most
flavor.

Top pic looks like the chuck end (2nd cut).

The middle pic looks like the chuck end of the loin cut (1st cut).

The bottom pic looks like a loin end cut (1st cut).

Typically, the loin end (1st cut) has a a larger center piece of meat (the "eye" part of Ribeye) with less meat around the edges while the chuck end (2nd cut) cut has a smaller center piece of meat with a larger portion around the edges. Also, the chuck end of the rib roast is larger in diameter than the loin end.

I'm going to try one Christmas day too. Went to Sam's Tuesday and they had some whole and some half ribeyes but the sell by date was Dec 22 so I'm going back today for a fresher one.

I'm going to try one Christmas day too. Went to Sam's Tuesday and they had some whole and some half ribeyes but the sell by date was Dec 22 so I'm going back today for a fresher one.

Whenever I buy Beef; I look for the "sell by Date", and plan to cook the Beef
2 or 3 days after that date; this gives it a couple more days to "Age" and
develop more flavor and become more tender. Those dated with the "Use
by date" of December 22 would be fantastic to have, and cook for
Christmas.

{Midnight ☼ Smoke};1887732 said:
I feel thicker in the head than a 2X4 about this.:doh:
Don't. Every time I do an expensive cut of meat, I always have to assure myself of what I'm doing by researching everything. I've spent some time this week reading up on roasts, and this thread is a great thing. Actually, I bet I'll be reading this again next Christmas!

{Midnight ☼ Smoke};1887732 said:
  • Ribs 6 through 9, which comes from closer to the cow's shoulder (aka the chuck) are referred variously as the "chuck end," "blade end," or "second cut." It's got more separate musculature, and more large hunks of fat. Personally, I prefer this end, because I like to eat the fat in a well-roasted piece of beef. If you prefer leaner, more tender beef, then go for...
  • Ribs 10 through 12, taken from further back and known as the "loin end," "small end," or "first cut." It's got a larger central eye of meat, and less fat.
Just to confuse everyone even more, I bought my roast at my local grocery chain (Giant Eagle) and after they cut it for me, the label they slapped on it said "First Cut, Ribs 1-5." :noidea: I paused. :hand: I remembered that the rib roasts don't even start until rib #6. So, I asked where it was cut from and the butcher said it was from the loin end. So, apparently you might see a label that numbers them backward. But, after the butcher said it was from the small end, I felt like I knew what I had in my hands. Hopefully he told me the truth.

But, I agree with others. To most people, it won't matter which ribs you serve them.

Okay, I pick up our Roasts. My buddy the Butcher cut them up for me. I think they will turn out great, if I do not screw it up. :wink:

Decided to get 2 Roasts as suggested, great plan for the picky eaters that want a little more cooked beyond Med Rare, Like me.

Picture003.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Picture016.jpg

Picture019.jpg

I will be starting a new Thread on "Cooking The Perfect Prime Rib Roast"

Thanks to everyone for helping and making this a great Thread!!!!

Those look great Terry! As the labels indicate, they came from the large end. I'm sure you will do a fantastic job cooking them and your guests will love them. Please post pron if you get a chance. :becky:

Hope it turns out great. Just hope it's not one of those get what you pay for things. That would suck.How can a roast like that go for less than burger meat?

I hope they are not a waste of money too.

I think a lot of sales like this are to bring customers into the store. They hope they will buy other items at the same time. I am sure the store loses money on these Roasts.

OK back to the restaurant. Bone in or boneless is which way you want to present it. If you have a big plate get a bone in. I bought whole boneless lip on because I did not want to crowd the plate. Buy the whole roast because one end is for medium and the other is for rare. Tip, if you run out of medium or some nut thinks he wants medium well just put the cut in the Au Jus for a minute.

Back