THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Congrats to all, especially Ray & Rub for two Top 10 finishes and Tim & Chad on the brisket call.

Nice pics Tex Ex... Looks like a great contest.

Spoke briefly to Sledneck ysterday. He said he and Jimmy were dissappointed with their overall results as they thought everything was good lik usual.

got my arse kicked

Sled walked into camp with a big jug of Ezra Brooks on Friday morning and it was over before it started. We finished the bottle!
My son Nick won 1st in kids Q bird.

Had lots of fun and we thougt the food was good but the judges didn't.
Sled did the chicken!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Ha
Good to see everyone.
congrats to all who walked!
congrats to John for getting his feet wet...about time bro.

Thanks guys, and congrats to all who were called. This was a tough line up.
Chad, I was thinking that too after brisket and pork (they called brisket first). I felt my chicken and ribs were spot on, so I was pretty stoked. End result, 23rd ribs, 45th chicken. Darn judges...
Congrats to little Cracker on his chicken!
Good to meet some new folks, and see old friends.

Great weather, great friends, and a great time!
Great to see the SledMan all the way down from New Yawk :lol:

What a field :oops:

Congrats to all that walked!
And, to Big John for his maiden event in the Backyard.

We are pleased with our results/scores.
Matched up pretty well with the stuff we turned in.
Nothing super good, but nothing to be ashamed of.
Our most consistent event in all four categories, for sure.
Just need to tweak cooking times the next go round.

TIM

Congrats to all who walked. Wish I could have made it to at least meet a few of you. I didn't get back from Finland till late on the 16th and jetlag had me whupped on the 17th. I'm only an hour and a half from Plant City. Maybe next year!

Congrats to all. I say all, because even though some didn't walk, you learn something every time. At least I do. And the best part is, we always have a good time, and meet some great people.

At least you didn't have 37 degrees, and 35 mph winds to contend with like we did the week before.

Hope to see more of you on the circuit in the near future.

Bill

Congrats to all. I say all, because even though some didn't walk, you learn something every time. At least I do. And the best part is, we always have a good time, and meet some great people.

At least you didn't have 37 degrees, and 35 mph winds to contend with like we did the week before.

Hope to see more of you on the circuit in the near future.

Bill

Believe it or not, it was 39 one night and 42 the next and windy. I showed up in shorts and flip flops, had to run out and get some real clothing for the nights.

I'm still in awe over the event. I learned that I still have ALOT to learn and I need a ton more practice. How I placed 8th overall is a mystery to me. I feel really bad for the judges who had to eat worse than what I put out. There were 22 other teams that apparently spent more time at the party than I did and/or only sent in one or two items.

I'm still in awe over the event. I learned that I still have ALOT to learn and I need a ton more practice. How I placed 8th overall is a mystery to me. I feel really bad for the judges who had to eat worse than what I put out. There were 22 other teams that apparently spent more time at the party than I did and/or only sent in one or two items.

Big John,
You are way too hard on yourself and we talked about this!
I just wish we had had time to sample each other's stuff.
The Judges (of which you are one) have "spoken" and you did not do that bad at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol:

I think you enjoyed it and learned a lot.
That is what it is all about! :lol::lol:

Next time--cook in the PRO division!
You can do it, just fine :lol:

We will get together and cook one in the near future.

TIM

Congrats to everyone who got a call! I saw 3 or 4 Jamie Geer pit's in those photos. I want to cook on one of those so bad!

Man.....what a field to compete against! It would be nice to know how your Q stacked up against all these tough competitiors, but i'm afraid my stomach would be so nervous i'd never make it out of the portapot!

Congrats all that got the call, walked and competed!

Man.....what a field to compete against! It would be nice to know how your Q stacked up against all these tough competitiors,

A LOT of those teams were the same ones that were up here for Lumberton , NC the weekend before.... WOW... it is an experience to go up against them and see just where we stand. I had thought a lot about why did I jump into the frying pan and not start out in the backyard division.... well, I think I am learning a LOT more this way. And a lot of great people to meet. And they all will take the time to talk to you and help in just about any way they can.

Not to brag, but everyone has a good day as well as a bad day. My brisket came in one place before ButtRub.com's did. Now that alone is a good feeling. Mine was 14th, his was 15th, out of 42 teams.

That is a lot better than last my last place I took in my first competition.....
So starting out with the "big boys" isn't as bad as it sounds. They have a LOT more money tied up in their equipment than I do, but the scores show something..... I have just a good a chance as they do. And I will accept the walk any time the judges decide mine is the best.......

A great contest and a bad contest all wrapped up together. For the good: Thank You to Jimmy for letting me hang out and get in the the way. It was pleasure hanging with the Brod family they are really great bunch. Congrats to Nick on the the 1st place kids que chicken. Congrats Johnmc on the finish and for popping your cherry. It was nice seeing all of the rest of the Florida boys, Tim, Dave, the doc, Rub and many other new people as well.We polished off a big bottle of Ezra Brooks since it was Crackers birthday. Plant City is a really well run contest and the steak dinner they put out on Saturday night for the teams is the best i have ever had at a contest. For the bad: This has been and forever will be beaten to death and i am not stating this to start another debate. The judging......i have cooked at contests by myself , with other really good teams, judged contests and at none of these previous engagements have i ever seen or tasted a better pork and ribs entry than the one that Jimmy turned in. To receive the finishes that it did was almost criminal. Thank goodness for Ezra Brooks.

Sled---Glad ya made it home safe and sound.

Maybe you should have shared some of that Ezra with the judges?? :lol:

I guess Chad and I used up all the good judges because our scores pretty much reflected the quality we turned in.
We are happy with that.

See Ya next year???

TIM

Back