THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Don Marco

is Blowin Smoke!
Howdy folks...

I just cooked the first food on the new excel 20.

Had some leftover roasted garlic and chipotle mashed potatoes from yesterday. Added some grated cheddar, aged westlite cheese and some italian herbs, mixed it up good and put in the fridge overnight.

57_s_011_Small_3.jpg

Heres 2 small salmon filet pieces seasoned with Texasbbqrub "Texas Wild" and the potatoes. Made a flat ball of half of the taters and put the rest into the freezer for later use.

57_s_030_Small_2.jpg

Made a fire in the excel with lump and put the grate directly on it to roast the maple plank

57_s_032_Small_2.jpg

Then turned the plank around, mounted the stacker and (empty foiled) waterpan and put the grate + plank on top.

I added some cherry sticks to the fire and put the taters on the plank, then closed the lid and watched the excel set in at around 275 F.

57_s_033_Small_2.jpg

57_s_034_Small_2.jpg

~20 Minutes later i added the salmon.

57_s_035_Small_2.jpg

Here it is ! Yummy !

Guess theres not much to say bout the fish as propably everybody knows this, but the taters rock !

The Cheddar melted all through the potatoes and the diced westlite cheese with less fat made some nice cheesy bubbles. Add to that the herbs, chipotle and the smoky crust and you got a winner.

57_s_040_Small_2.jpg

57_s_041_Small_1.jpg

57_s_042_Small_2.jpg

57_s_044_Small_2.jpg

So long,

DM

Wow!! New ideas!

Looks great DM!

Fleur de sel......mmmmmmmm

I see you have one of those really slow GRAY thermapens!
Get you a sonic speed RED one. MUCH faster and more accurate too!:wink::lol:

I really like the charcoal basket.

After smoking i added the top to the bottom and closed all the vents.
30 Minutes later the Excel was cold.

57_s_011_Small_4.jpg

Heres the remaining lump

57_s_045_Small_2.jpg

Now the fun starts. Just shake the charcoal basket and all ashes and too small pieces fall through into the bottom.
Just take the now clean basket out of the smoker, empty the bottom and set it back in. Perfect coals for the next run without a big mess.

57_s_046_Small_2.jpg

57_s_047_Small_2.jpg

DM

Back