Place to buy Rubs in Atlanta

The Big Green Egg store in Tucker has a nice selection.

That was my thought too. The ACE suggestion is a good one, also. The ones that carry the eggs seem to have some rubs.

That said, if you're in ATL (i.e. within striking distance of DeKalb Farmer's Market) why on earth would you buy a rub? Go spend $10 on spices, pick up a 6-lb bag of Sugar in the Raw at Costco (or smaller at Publix for a bit more), and a box of kosher salt (let the Morton's vs Diamond Crystal debate begin), and get to mixing. There are plenty of books of recipes out there and online, too.

Even if you toss your spices at 6 mo.s and replace, you're still ahead of buying a pre-made rub that's been sitting for who knows how long.

Buddy from Tampa just stopped through and headed out with a box (wine case) full of spices to replenish. I bet the total at YDFM was $20.

That was my thought too. The ACE suggestion is a good one, also. The ones that carry the eggs seem to have some rubs.

That said, if you're in ATL (i.e. within striking distance of DeKalb Farmer's Market) why on earth would you buy a rub? Go spend $10 on spices, pick up a 6-lb bag of Sugar in the Raw at Costco (or smaller at Publix for a bit more), and a box of kosher salt (let the Morton's vs Diamond Crystal debate begin), and get to mixing. There are plenty of books of recipes out there and online, too.

Even if you toss your spices at 6 mo.s and replace, you're still ahead of buying a pre-made rub that's been sitting for who knows how long.

Buddy from Tampa just stopped through and headed out with a box (wine case) full of spices to replenish. I bet the total at YDFM was $20.
This is what I've generally been doing (though not going to the DeKalb Farmer's Market for the spices), is making my own with recipes off the net and from books. But with all the talk about award winning rubs, I thought I'd like to give some a try. The Farmer's Market is killer, but with work and all, it is hard for me to get there very often.

Ace Hardware in Dunwoody village has a pretty good selection. My parents just told me that BBQs Galore in Alpharetta recently re-opened. They have a pretty wide selection as well. But, I agree that for the money your best bet is to make your own...

This is what I've generally been doing (though not going to the DeKalb Farmer's Market for the spices), is making my own with recipes off the net and from books. But with all the talk about award winning rubs, I thought I'd like to give some a try. The Farmer's Market is killer, but with work and all, it is hard for me to get there very often.

I'm right there with you. If I'm lucky, I get there about once every 6-8 weeks.

I respect you for complimenting our brethren, but how do you know what all is available at every store in Atlanta? If I had to guess I would say that some of the brethren rubs you refer to are indeed available at Atlanta stores. There are probably hundreds even thousands of stores in the Atlanta area selling rubs from all over the country and beyond. You have tasted everyone of them?

I respect you for complimenting our brethren, but how do you know what all is available at every store in Atlanta? If I had to guess I would say that some of the brethren rubs you refer to are indeed available at Atlanta stores. there are probably hundreds even thousands of stores in the Atlanta area selling rubs from all over the country and beyond. You have tasted everyone of them?

Well that is the title of this thread "Place to buy rubs in Atlanta"
So if you have some suggestions, throw them out there.

I have yet to find a store locally (ATL area) that has a great selection of rubs, so I would be thrilled to hear about the "hundreds even thousands of stores in the Atlanta area selling rubs from all over the country and beyond"

So far in this thread I have read about ACE hardware stores, The Big Green Egg Store, Whole Foods (Harry's), Bass Pro Shop and American backyard.

Not only is this not hundreds (or thousands), I have been to everyone of these stores except for the Big Green Egg store in Tucker), and have been underwhelmed.

So right now I tend to agree with Saiko.

Well every grocery store sells BBQ rub, not all of which are the mass produced type. So there is the thousand right there. There are multitudes of BBQ restaurants in the area that sell their rubs and sauces.
I didnt claim to have all the answers. But for someone to claim that a product(s) is better than anything available at any store in any given major metropolitan area is without merit. None of us know everything that is available out there.

Back