Pizza while "camping"

Demosthenes9

is One Chatty Farker
Walmart made it impossible for me to resist. They reduced the price to $79.99 for the Kettle Pizza Deluxe (with metal peel) (KPDU-22) to $79 and they had 8 in stock. I kept watching Brickseek to see if the price would drop even further. Went back to the store one day and found that they had wrapped them all up on a pallet with other stuff and moved them up to the rafters. Luckily, one of the employees was nice enough to bring a pallet down and we got one with minimal effort.

Did a bunch of reading up at WKC and at Pizzamaking. Will have to go back to see who to thank for which pieces of advice. I picked up 3 14in pizza screens to use. Went to a camp out over the weekend. Picked up 8 packages of dough and 4 containers of sauce at Trader Joes to play around with. just in case, I also had a print out of Bobby Flay's dough recipe, a baq of King Arthur bread flour and all other necessary ingredients. For toppings, I'm strictly a meat guy, so I got 2 lbs of ground Italian sausage and cooked it up. Also bought a package of small pepperonis and also got 1/2lb of larger sliced pepperoni from the deli. Being a nice guy, I grabbed red, yellow, orange and red peppers for others, along with some mushrooms and a red onion.

The cook was done on an SSP that's now a dedicated camp cooker. thanks to a couple of posts here, i removed the lid bail. Must have missed teh posts talking about the plastic piece on the vent tab. Yeah, it melted.

this was my first attempt ever at making my own pizzas. Did read that use of a rolling pin was frowned upon, that I should work the dough by hand. Tried that, failed miserably. Ended up grabbing a full beer can and used that as a roller.

here are some pics that someone else took of the first pie coming out. I was too busy being way in over my head for picture taking.

IMG_20161010_150042_02.jpg

IMG_20161010_150103_01.jpg

IMG_20161010_150103_02.jpg

IMG_20161010_150057_01.jpg

IMG_20161010_150052_01.jpg

I ended up making 3 pizzas on Friday, and people wanted some again on Saturday, so I made 4 more. Lots of mistakes were made, to be sure, but everyone at the camp out loved the PK and many commented on how much they liked the pizza.

All in all, it was a lot of fun and a good learning experience.

Looks like a winner to me! Nice looking pie. When nothing else can do the job, always remember a beer can!

Back