THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

halfcocked

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
George
Got the steel because my wife complained about unpleasant odors emanating from the stone I have used for the kettle pies when used in the oven. Have to say I'm impressed. This 12" pie was done in under five minutes at 500 degrees. Did only a cheese NY style to test out the new dough recipe. Turned out great, as good or better than a good pizza joint fare. Highly recommend the steel in that it comes up to temp quickly and cooks fast. The stone would have taken considerable more time to heat up and cook on. I usually do only one pie so I don't know how quickly it would have rebounded to do an other.
Leopard-ing on the underside was nice and even. forgot to take pics of that.
I should have rotated the pie a bit earlier to to get the crust uniform in color.

Attachments

Love my steel also. Did you use your boiler? If not, and assuming you have a gas broiler, you can get get your pies cooking in 90 seconds. Preheat the steel on a middle-top rack and when it's up to temp, switch on the broiler. The heat blast from the top helps even out the extreme heat coming from the bottom resulting in super quick-cooking pies.

Love my steel also. Did you use your boiler? If not, and assuming you have a gas broiler, you can get get your pies cooking in 90 seconds. Preheat the steel on a middle-top rack and when it's up to temp, switch on the broiler. The heat blast from the top helps even out the extreme heat coming from the bottom resulting in super quick-cooking pies.

My oven is electric with max temp.525. When it reaches that I start building the pie and slip it on the steel. I then turn on the broiler and the rest is history.

Yep, steel far superior to any stone I have used over the years. Mine is 1/4”...I’ve seen 1/2” but they r super heavy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Looks great! Do you like to use corn meal ever on your pies.
I use corn meal on the peel to slide the pie onto my steel or stone. If I'm using the stone I sprinkle corn meal on that too. It acts like little bbs makes the dough slide nicely. Never tried it on the pie.

I use corn meal on the peel to slide the pie onto my steel or stone. If I'm using the stone I sprinkle corn meal on that too. It acts like little bbs makes the dough slide nicely. Never tried it on the pie.

You should give semolina a try some time. Same basic "bb" principle but it doesn't burn and turn bitter like corn meal.

You should give semolina a try some time. Same basic "bb" principle but it doesn't burn and turn bitter like corn meal.
I have not been able to find it in my store. Probably just not seeing it. The corn meal does not stick (much) to the pie in my experience and does not impart any flavor. I'll keep looking and give it a try when I score.

I know a thing or two about pizza, and this is one of the finest NY Style pies I've seen on this forum! Classic NY style in every way.

attachment.php

Glad you are having great results with the baking steel! Please share new dough recipe.

Signed,

Hungry in LA for pizza at lunchtime.

I know a thing or two about pizza, and this is one of the finest NY Style pies I've seen on this forum! Classic NY style in every way.

attachment.php

Glad you are having great results with the baking steel! Please share new dough recipe.

Signed,

Hungry in LA for pizza at lunchtime.
http://doughgenerator.allsimbaseball9.com/recipe_listing.php?style_name=New York
Thanks Moose. I recently stumbled onto this site. Made the first recipe (Belucci) for these pies. Definitely the best crust I have eaten and certainly the best dough I have made. Anyone interested in making pizza should bookmark that site.

Back