Pizza Related Product Review: The Super Peel

I understood what you said, and still disagree with it. I get a fantastic crust with screens, no sure why you can't.

Then I guess you didn't read exactly what I said:

Some people may actually prefer this, which is fine by me, just not my personal preference.

I'm hoping this will end here - I really didn't post this review as a debate about pizza screens, and frankly, I just should have kept quiet and not bitten the bait. :tape:

:laugh:

20110825.jpg

Then I guess you didn't read exactly what I said:

Some people may actually prefer this, which is fine by me, just not my personal preference.

I'm hoping this will end here - I really didn't post this review as a debate about pizza screens, and frankly, I just should have kept quiet and not bitten the bait. :tape:

Moose, this is what I read.....

The pizza will retain its shape perfectly using a pizza screen, and toppings won’t shift around, but the downside is considerable: it will change the texture profile considerably, and is nearly impossible to get a truly uniformly crisp, bottom crust, which is usually more chewy than crisp.

So yeah, I guess it can end here.

Oh, and I can only assume you got that peel for free...:wink:

Maybe it's just that I'm using the wrong kind of screen. Can you show what yours looks like? Maybe next time you do one I'd like to see it if possible.

Sure, Norm, I'll take some pics of the ones I use, they can be had at Restaurant Depot for a few bucks.

I understood what you said, and still disagree with it. I get a fantastic crust with screens, no sure why you can't.

I have great success with a non-stick pizza pan with holes in the bottom. While I guess it is not technically called a pizza screen it serves the same basic purpose. It heats up super fast and produces a lovely crispy crust.

But I do think the peel contraption is a great and fun idea!

Good review Moose,

I thought about the Super peel but ended-up going with the Italian Fly Swatter, aka the Gi Metal Perforated Pizza Peel. It work as well as the Super peel as long as you dust the GI metal with flour before putting the dough on.

Thank you Moose! I received a super peel on Thursday and made my first really good (and round) pizza directly on a stone.
Well worth the price.

Later,
Doug

That's cool Doug, love mine!

I bought a pizza screen so I'm going to do 2 pies, one with and one without to see what I think of them.

That's cool Doug, love mine!

I bought a pizza screen so I'm going to do 2 pies, one with and one without to see what I think of them.

I'm curious to know what you think of the difference between the two, Norm.

If you're going to cook both pies on the BS Oven, when you use the screen, (just a suggestion) be VERY careful. The screen gets REALLY hot when you're ready to pull the pie, especially when cooking at very high temps. I'd pull the screen with the pie out of the oven using a pair of tongs and get it onto a pizza pan, or get it onto a cold screen to sit for a few before you slice. The screens retain their heat really well, so they stay hot for quite a while.

I use a California pizza stone and I originally tried corn meal and then flour on a metal pizza peel, with lots of failures. I then purchased a wooden peel and although it was a bit better, I still had some failures. (I define failure as a completely distorted, folded-over pizza with toppings everywhere, including off the pizza.) What I do now works perfectly. I sprinkle some flour on the wooden peel and assemble the pizza on it. When it's time to transfer to the pizza stone, I use the metal peel to "coax" the pizza off the wooden one, with a bit of shaking. This works every time. I then use the metal peel to turn and remove the pizza from the stone. I cut it while still on the metal peel and easily transfer it to a large round serving plate. Problem solved. I looked into getting one of these things, but I didn't want to deal with washing the cloths.

Thanks Moose for the tip!

The blackstone is a bit harder to get a pizza on because of the smaller opening. I still struggle to get it right.

Back