Pizza on the Primo.... disaster!

Speeed

Take a breath!
Name or Nickame
Speed
Often we proudly share our successes when we cook and say "hey look what I made"... It didn't go that way this time...

Well, we made pizzas on the primo for the first time tonight and it was nothing short of a disaster. Thankfully I know what I did wrong and will hopefully have much better success next time. Sorry. no pics.

I had the primo WAY too hot. I was running 700+.
Pizzas were cooking in about 2 minutes and all the bottoms burnt.
I had the indirect plates in and pre heated the pizza stone.
Next time I will not heat the grill up so hot. I'm thinking around 500*
Naturally the last one was the best of the bunch but the bottom was still a bit too burnt.
Round 2 will be better.
Chalked this up in the fail column :sad:
It happens and keeps us humble.

Been there and done that many a time in the beginning of my pizza making days. Pizza can be a real finicky thing:). It will be better next time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What was your setup? For my BGE is put in the plate setter, and then put a baking rack on that and put the stone on the baking rack.

I run the egg at a dome temp of about 600, and my cook times are in the 7-9 minute range.

I had the indirect plates in (same as the BGE plate setter) I put the grill grate in and placed the stone on top of the grates. I was just way too hot.
I will run a much lower dome temp next time.

Would have loved 7-9 minute cook times LOL

I find I burn the bottoms when I’m coming down from high temps. If I have a few pizza stones stacked and let them warm up to around 500 then put my pizza on and let it rip it’s hot and fast and turns out good.

I’ve burned some cookies real bad too when my stones are preheated really hot and the fire is burning out so less heat floating up to the dome and chimney.

I burned my first pizza too. Just part of the learning curve. Good to hear I'm not alone.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Not a bad thing to share the failures—I could create quite a long, scary, and humorous thread with all mine. Now, let’s see your next attempt; betcha it’s a winner.

I think the advertising that the Kamado manufactures use is part of the problem. We’ve all read about how they can hit 900 degrees for pizza etc. That’s great if you want to try to make a Neapolitan pizza. For they typical pie most of us eat with a decent amount of toppings and a thicker crust it’s wayyyyy too high. Even on my Blackstone which is easier to get more heat from the top than a Kamado I ended up with a lot of burnt pies when I really cranked it up

I love my BGE but Kamados are terrible pizza ovens. No amount of fiddling is going to get you the intense heat radiating down from the top. You'll get much better results with a baking steel and your home oven's boiler. However, they do make excellent grilled pizza using the "flat bread" method where you quickly grill your dough direct on both sides before topping and finishing on a stone.

vIOD8lhl.jpg

SrQsgTEl.jpg

I've never quite understood the fascination with cooking a pizza on a grill. Pizza is something that requires consistency to produce a good product.

I'm clueless...can you clue me in? Is it just the fun of doing it that way?

I'm clueless...can you clue me in? Is it just the fun of doing it that way?

It's no different than cooking meals that you've had in a restaurant at home.
Its creative and fun and allows you to put your own twist on something.

While the pizza's may have turned out a disaster. My whole family was in the kitchen rolling dough, adding toppings and making pizzas. My kids (Who are in their late teens) now have a memory and can say "remember that time we made pizzas with Mom and Dad and Dad burnt them, man the pizzas sucked but we had fun"

Hopefully they'll be able to say "remember the second time we made pizzas with Mom and Dad and Dad nailed it"

There have been some silver linings to this whole corona quarantine. I am absolutely loving the quality family time we are spending together in the kitchen.
My youngest son is now well versed in chopping vegetables/prepping food and he also has a bit of confidence that he can actually cook something other than scrambled eggs or ramen.

I love my BGE but Kamados are terrible pizza ovens. No amount of fiddling is going to get you the intense heat radiating down from the top. You'll get much better results with a baking steel and your home oven's boiler. However, they do make excellent grilled pizza using the "flat bread" method where you quickly grill your dough direct on both sides before topping and finishing on a stone.

I agree and glad you posted this.

I cooked many pizzas on my Kamado when I had one, and can honestly say it's not worth the trouble when given the option to crank out amazing pies in a home oven combined with a quality pizza stone. If your oven has a convection feature, all the better. That's not to say you can't cook a good pizza on a ceramic, but you won't get anywhere near the surface browning like you would a home oven, or a Blackstone (Which is what I use), or a dedicated wood-fired pizza oven.

For example:

Three%20Meat%20Spicy%20Pizza%203_zpsk5o9utaa.jpg

IMG_5564_zpszy4dwuf0.jpg

IMG_1601_zpsp3vmpp8r.jpg

IMG_1901_zpsdgtqpd6s.jpg

Last edited:
I really like pizza from my Primo. I use deflector plates, regular grates, and then put pizza stone on top of extension racks to get pizza high in the dome. I typically run temp around 425 to avoid burned crust. A thin homemade crust takes 11 minutes (I rotate pizza half way through). Usually put it on parchment paper to keep it from sticking to the stone.

Attachments

• pizza.JPG
    pizza.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 48
It's no different than cooking meals that you've had in a restaurant at home.
Its creative and fun and allows you to put your own twist on something.

While the pizza's may have turned out a disaster. My whole family was in the kitchen rolling dough, adding toppings and making pizzas. My kids (Who are in their late teens) now have a memory and can say "remember that time we made pizzas with Mom and Dad and Dad burnt them, man the pizzas sucked but we had fun"

Hopefully they'll be able to say "remember the second time we made pizzas with Mom and Dad and Dad nailed it"

There have been some silver linings to this whole corona quarantine. I am absolutely loving the quality family time we are spending together in the kitchen.
My youngest son is now well versed in chopping vegetables/prepping food and he also has a bit of confidence that he can actually cook something other than scrambled eggs or ramen.

I didn't mean to derail or get your thread off track. We're all learning here, and I really like that you and your family have found the "silver lining" to the dark cloud we're living under at the moment. There's nothing quite like cooking pizza together as a family! :clap2:

Back