Pitmaster's EDICT - If you are new to briskets... perhaps you should read these results about Hot and Fast

Pitmaster T

Babbling Farker
Results of Snapshot Polling on Hot and Fast and Low and Slow comparisons on Brisket..

Okay this was a snapshot and only 22 votes will be considered. Originally 24 voted, but you had to have tried to smoke BOTH styles.There were some (three) I think who are not even part of the 24 that tried low and slow only... as they only voted on one option.

2 had not done both and felt compelled to make comparisons, probably because they did not read the thread first. No big deal.. I will remove their other data. Please do not feel insulted.

Here is what we can garner from the poll. I will conclude what that means later.

At the time of this poll 22 of you had cooked BOTH Below 250 (L&S) briskets and above 270 (H&F).

I made an area “in between” not count in case someone felt there was a disparity between the actual temp and the term. Doesn't matter what you call it, a temp of 270 and above is a departure from 250 and below.

Here are the contributors who did both... so if you look at the linked poll, you will know why I did not count a vote. SOME GUYS – MAB, TRU FUNK, STEPHAN – SOUGHT TO VOTE WHILE COOKING NEITHER!!!! I bet it was unintentional, thinking there could not be multiple answers. Thanks anyway.

bigabyte
, Bludawg, Boshizzle,caliking, caustin919, Chezmatt, Flat_Rate, FlCracker, jaestar, JCHjr55, jckposter, Lake Dogs, landarc, LGHT, Myrdhyn, Pitmaster T, R2Egg2Q, Ron_L, smokemonster, txpivo, Wampus, woupsman

17 of the 22 learned how to cook low and slow first.

4 learned Hot and Fast first ....It is interesting to note that two who are not counted in these numbers officially are worth mentioning as they seemed to have both learned hot and fast first AND never tried Low and Slow. Did they learn it here?

I worked for the old Kreuz long ago so I put myself in the learned Hot and fast Brisket first....of course I for some reason forgot all my hot and fast knowledge when I decided to make bbq myself years ago. I had to relearn.

13 of the 22 said they nailed low and slow brisket within three tries. These people are liars. :) But I won't count off for that.

More, 18, seemed to nail a hot and fast brisket within three tries.

Only 5 of you that had tried both found that nailing Low and Slow brisket was easier than hot and fast attempts.

11 of you thought that it was easier to nail hot and fast brisket. I love the name trufunk but how can you think it is easier if you never cooked either according to you not registering on questions 1 or 2.

4 of us say it took us more than five tries to get a decent low and slow...

Nobody took more than 5 tries to master the hot and fast process.

2 never seemed to master the low and slow process and had better luck with hot and fast while 1 of you had better luck with low and slow.

This is kind of a tricky question.... many of us have mastered low and slow, tried hot and fast and still prefer it. You will notice many of the folk (1
8) that voted in the “nailed hot and fast within 3 tries” are not in this group... I can assume because they mastered low and slow too. These are obviously men that can go both ways. NTTAWWT.

2 felt the modifications and adjustments to a low and slow cook were extensive to get a good brisket.

While only 1 thought that is was much a bother to get a good Hot and Fast brisket.

7 thought that they only needed to make minor adjustments to a low and slow brisket.

11 thought adjustments to hot and fast brisket were minor.

7 have given up on low and slow briskets while only 1 gave up on Hot and fast. Sorry Stephan... not sure how you could make this determination if you did not answer Q 1 or 2. I bet some like you and trufunk maybe thought they could only answer one question.

9 of us have since merged elements of low and slow brisket with hot and fast.

Although technically the last question was another trick question... for saying yes essentially meant you had never done a hot and fast brisket. Apparently none of you have done hot and fast ribs... or were smart enough to have ignored the question because you HAD done a H and F brisket.

So what are my conclusions.

My conclusion is once again.... if you want to make a good brisket, and you are a novice, want to save money and feel good about yourself; or if you suck at low and slow and are tired of wasting money.... you should do your first brisket at 270 or above.

This does not mean they are superior..... nor does it mean you can't deviate... but from the data you will get a product closer to exceptional than with low and slow your first few times.

Are you ready to win the Taylor (THE BRISKET VERSION OF THE JACK DANIELS)? No. Will you maybe get a walk... hey maybe if you have tasted all the crappy brisket out there. Hot and fast is the quickest way from A to B without getting all upset about the Q. Furthermore, according to the overwhelming numbers here, where most of us learned low and slow first; you will have better luck getting an exceptional to good brisket at 270 and above and with less hassle.

So once again... this is the EDICT! That if you want to impress probably 95 percent of the mortals (non-competition people) and maybe 70 percent of the immortals (those if us that live BBQ) --- I said impress, not be Myron Mixon first trip out.... I would seriously consider the EDICT because you will save time... and if you tweak a little at a time... you will get to your personal zenith sooner – then move on to the next meat. And with meat prices like they are... remember many of us started Qing when meat was a third of what it is now... you are making some good sense that way.

In short... if you want to actually master low and slow (under 250)..... well... you even would be saving time to start hot and fast (above 270) and tweak you way down to below 250 than actually starting at 225 and keep working at it in that realm.

This is especially essential for the novice.

Sample Poll Located here

I have cooked brisket low and slow. <25024 85.71%
I have cooked brisket hot and fast. 270>23 82.14%
I first learned to cook brisket in the low and slow style <250 19 67.86%
I first learned to cook brisket in the hot and fast style 270>6 21.43%
I succeeded in cooking l and s brisket that was good to exceptional within 3 tries 15 53.57%
I succeeded in cooking h and f brisket that was good to exceptional within 3 tries18 64.29%
I found it easier to cook a brisket that was good to exceptional using the low and slow style. 6 21.43%
I found it easier to cook a brisket that was good to exceptional using the h and F style.13 46.43%
It took me over five tries to master the low and slow process on brisket..4 14.29%
It took me over five tries to master the hot and fast process on Brisket.. 0 0%
I still never seem to master the low and slow process but have better luck with hot and fast. 2 7.14%
I still never seem to master the hot and fast process but have better luck with low and slow. 1 3.57%
The adjustments to my low and slow cooks to make a good to exceptional brisket were extensive.2 7.14%
The adjustments to my hot and fast cooks to make a good to exceptional brisket were extensive. 1 3.57%
The adjustments to my low and slow cooks were minor to arrive at a quality brisket. 7 25.00%
The adjustments to my hot and fast cooks were minor to arrive at a quality brisket.12 42.86%
I gave up on low and slow for brisket.7 25.00%
I gave up on hot and fast for brisket. 2 7.14%
I have merged elements of hot and fast with low and slow brisket.. 9 32.14%
I have never tried hot and fast on brisket but have on ribs and like the results.

Last edited:
I think the question "I succeeded in cooking a rack of l and s brisket that was good to exceptional within 3 tries" leaves a lot to interpretation. I can cook a good low n slow brisket and I did it on my first try. That doesn't mean it was my best brisket. But, it was good.

So, to call me a liar on that is a bit of a stretch based on the actual question. bro.

I think the question "I succeeded in cooking a rack of l and s brisket that was good to exceptional within 3 tries" leaves a lot to interpretation. I can cook a good low n slow brisket and I did it on my first try. That doesn't mean it was my best brisket. But, it was good.

So, to call me a liar on that is a bit of a stretch based on the actual question. bro.

Its a ****in joke doofus!

Jesus how in the world could you if all people not get that was a joke... not to mention... when I was doing my first briskets, the internet was only in Al Gore's mind.

****... I did my first brisket .............ON A ****ING GAS GRILL ROTISSERIE!!!!!

Funny thing was, it was tough... I thought I ruined it being too high... now I know it just wasn't on long enough... heck I even sauced it with farking .. sorry. ****ing... hunts the whole time... all that sugar burned before it got done.

Just so no one gets all technical... I dressed a lot of briskets at Kreuz... never really cooked them though... and I saw hot hot they did them... when I decided to start qing... I had forgotten all that.

There are three kinds of people in the world guys... those that can do math and those that can't.

What's a brisket?
Heheheeee. To bad I didn't see this poll until now, I could have really tossed a wrench in the draw works because the first 25 years I cooked briskets, none of my cookers had a thermometer.

I more or less cook by ear and smell too... then I open the pit and look and probe with your wonderful 30 inch probe you made me.

The fact that we have masters who do not even use a therm... kind of shows that if you cook a little higher than the obsessive 225... well... you screw up a lot less and thus... you can cook without a therm. the margin of error is so small at 225... as under 213 or so... zilch happens but drying out and over smoke.

The temperature thing is hilarious. I just saw a picture of someone visiting Snow's where they snapped a zoom shot of the 180 degree read on the pit. Now this was during daylight so it's pretty obvious they already stopped cooking and were simply holding temps. But pretty sure there's a bunch of people looking at that reading and concluding Snow's smokes at 180 for like 20 hours or some nonsense.

What had me wondering about Donnie's poll was the gap left out between 250 and 270.

In my experience and opinion, 250 to 270 is the sweet spot for cooking brisket.

It cooks fast, is moist, the stall seems to be shorter, the collagen is broken down quicker, and the sliced brisket has great flavor.

After all, that is the whole purpose for cooking this big piece of meat.

Just another view.

John

The temperature thing is hilarious. I just saw a picture of someone visiting Snow's where they snapped a zoom shot of the 180 degree read on the pit. Now this was during daylight so it's pretty obvious they already stopped cooking and were simply holding temps. But pretty sure there's a bunch of people looking at that reading and concluding Snow's smokes at 180 for like 20 hours or some nonsense.

We have a similar place called Joe's in Alvin... he claims he smokes 24 damn hours.... no....

His process covers a 24 hour period. He has several Pits so each pit at times is like one hour behind... so if one set of ribs is put on at 6:30, another may go on at 7:30 or even 8:30

6:00 AM his kitchen dresses Two Loads of Brisket and then chills them.
6:30 AM Ribs go on the smoker
10:30 ribs are done and held
11:30 Brisket Load B from day before gets pulled.
4:00 PM Briskets Load A go on
9:00 PM Load B of Briskets go on just before they leave
5:00 AM Load A comes off the smoker
6:00 AM Dressing and rubbing of Brisket Loads A and B start for the day

Somewhere they get another load of ribs in I don't remember. They do three damn types....Loins, Spares and Beef. Hell I don't remember when they get the pulled pork in either.

What had me wondering about Donnie's poll was the gap left out between 250 and 270.

In my experience and opinion, 250 to 270 is the sweet spot for cooking brisket.

It cooks fast, is moist, the stall seems to be shorter, the collagen is broken down quicker, and the sliced brisket has great flavor.

After all, that is the whole purpose for cooking this big piece of meat.

Just another view.

John

I think your post actually has the answer in it. I view it too as a no man's land.. kind of in between... in the poll I believe I addressed that I definitely wanted a buffer between what some people consider hot and low.... if the demarcation was, say... 250.... believe me... we would have all sorts of people focusing on the definition. Of course we already do and I put 20 degrees between the two.

This is.... also... If I say keep your temp at 270... then you damn sure are not gonna be below 250 of you work half way at it. I know pits that say 250 and the grate is 210. Ewww... LOL

IMG_5979.JPG

IMG_5985.jpg

WeLLLLLLL worth viewing....

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/kentwang/tags/barbecue/

Some people hated this thread

Don't know about any of that, but, since you resurrected the thread, I'll take issue with this.

The fact that we have masters who do not even use a therm... kind of shows that if you cook a little higher than the obsessive 225... well... you screw up a lot less and thus... you can cook without a therm. the margin of error is so small at 225... as under 213 or so... zilch happens but drying out and over smoke.

I believe that is misstating the case. As the cook is LnS, the margin for error is larger than it is with HnF. The "finished" IT temps will be different, but you have a wider time window with LnS.

Back