Pitmasters - At a Breaking Point

I understand that they are trying to reach a larger audience in an attempt to sell Kingsford Charcoal. I think that's driving the new format. It's the golden rule. He who has the gold sets the rules. But, the thing I like the most about the show is watching the brethren. I think that aspect is great and is a lot of fun.

My biggest problem with the show is the fact that it is too focused on the drama and too little focused on technique and tips for cooking. Heck, they haven't even showed a single tip for starting Kingsford charcoal outside of dropping a match in a pile of matchlight. At this point, I'd even appreciate a shot of someone lighting charcoal with a charcoal chimney.

I just think, if they really feel they need the over the top drama, they should at least add more cooking tips and techniques to the mix. They don't have to give up any secrets but they need to add some good cooking info. Instead of going so far on the "American Idol" spectrum, maybe they should reel it in a little to the "Good Eats" side too.

I've listened to both interviews on Greg's show with the producer and the host.

Both are self-centered, cocky twits who THINK they know what people want and are disconnected with the audience that made them what they are today. Kinda like politicians.

John Markus claims that NOBODY was speaking up during last year letting him, the media co. or TLC know that they loved the show. Now all they hear is the "It sucks!" comments. Well, it does, compared to "BBQ Pitmasters v.1"

I can't say I haven't enjoyed the show, but would I rather have seen some goings on from the spring and early summer BBQ season 2010? Uh, yeah.

John Markus was waiting for your call the last time he was on Greg Rempe's show.

I have a job that I need to be at before 8:00 am and about an hour of driving to get there. I am usually trying to go to sleep come 10 pm. I've voiced my opinion online, not hiding from anyone. I don't think I need to stay up and wait on my call to be answered.

Does John have a number I can give him a call at on the weekends or another time that is convenient for both of us?

By the way, I said I LISTENED to the shows. I KNOW Markus was sitting there on go, waiting for the folks to call in. I find it funny that there was no discussion of nobody calling in until the segment was over and that NO ONE called in to say that they liked the current format.

Just a thought on Turducken: I think it's hard to argue that the big four BBQ meats are pork shoulder, pork ribs, whole hog, and beef brisket. I'd throw in Beef chuck as a fifth, and maybe lamb as a sixth. Being as Pitmasters wanted 5 qualifiers and a sixth final, they used the four I mentioned above and included Rack of Pig for some reason.

The question though is why choose Turducken? It's rather obscure, but I think it fits a bill. In competition, the other big meat is "Chicken," but how long does it take to smoke chicken thights, or even a whole hen? Not very! Smoked turkey is great, but not really BBQ. I think in trying to come up with another meat, trying to make it poultry to fit in with competition, and trying to keep the format about the same, Turducken is a great dish to fill that need. Obscure, sure as hell, but it makes sense to me. BBQ Crowned pork roast, not so much. I think that one was messed up.

I'm not saying I like the show, but Turducken is not so bad considering the a poultry option, the format, and the alternatives. MHO.

dmp

I have a job that I need to be at before 8:00 am and about an hour of driving to get there. I am usually trying to go to sleep come 10 pm. I've voiced my opinion online, not hiding from anyone. I don't think I need to stay up and wait on my call to be answered.

Does John have a number I can give him a call at on the weekends or another time that is convenient for both of us?

By the way, I said I LISTENED to the shows. I KNOW Markus was sitting there on go, waiting for the folks to call in. I find it funny that there was no discussion of nobody calling in until the segment was over and that NO ONE called in to say that they liked the current format.

I'm sure you can send your thoughts to TLC via email. The change in format this year was due to viewer feedback, and a network decision based on ratings. Their business is to provide a product that viewers will watch, in order for them to sell advertising and make some $. If you want to make your opinion count, I'd submit it to someone that can do something about it.

John Markus was waiting for your call the last time he was on Greg Rempe's show.
I was listening to that show live, on vacation with my family in my hotel room. I was seething at that comment. We expressed our PLEASURE with season 1 by giving KCBS and the BBQ-Brethren unheard of growth. Buying pits and taking KCBS judging classes.
How many people watching season 2 signed up for KCBS? 4?
Listening to Myron on Greg's show even before it aired seemed like even he admitted defeat. The party line shared "Any BBQ on TV is better than no BBQ on TV" has gotten long in the tooth.
That all being said. I will watch the last episode as I have them all. I will listen to Greg's radio show. (if you don't, you should) But will John Q Public do the same?

Anyone who can only cook chicken, brisket, pork shoulder and ribs is not a master of the pit.

First, I'll also add in whole hog. You're correct, however the title
of the show is "BBQ Pitmasters". BBQ being the key. Turducken? Aligator?
Catfish? Jackalope? This ain't BBQ, IMHO. Perhaps rename the show
to "Pitmasters", and that's fine, but BBQ Pitmasters should be cooking
BBQ.

I do wonder (pondering to myself); what are the factors that are driving
the increasing ratings? Apparently their ratings are up. Is it possible that
their ratings are up because the BBQ purists talked it up all year last
year? I dont know; that's not my forte. I'll leave that to them. However,
they seem pretty certain that the increase is a result of their change in
format. I wish them well with it, but haven't watched since the first
episode and have no plans to watch next year, if there is a next year.

Everybody seems to be complaining about this show, but they still tune in and buy Kingsford products.

Why should TLC care about your complaints if you are still drawn to view?

Maybe we all just love to hate this thing.

I think it helps if you can train yourself to not think of the show as a competition at all. It is, after all, just a game show.

Don

What I don't understand, is why so many people seem to take this show so personally as if they have some sort of stake in the show or that it represents them personally.

It's a cooking show. I've tuned in every week to see at least one team that I KNOW personally. In that context it IS personal. That being said, they are all big boys and girls, had the opportunity to read the contract, and make their own decision.

Last year folks swore up and down that they'd never watch again, because Myron was such a pottymouth. This year, it seems Myron Mixon is the savior of the show based on the comments I've read. In some cases from people that skewered him for being profane last year, seem to view him as some sort of BBQ apostle this year. Where's the consistency? Enough folks pitched a fit last year, that with the ratings where they were, TLC felt the need to make a change. Capitalism in action.

IF there is a third season, I can't wait to see what folks want to complain about then.

My comments are not based solely on what I've read here. I've followed the debate on more than one forum.

The format is like the other hundred food challange formats being put forth this year. It sucks. Its either cake or something generic or in one case, BBQ or food related TV. I'm not interested in the format.

Last edited:
I think we can all agree on TLC's motives, but how do we pull it back towards competition style BBQ? Even if they keep the "Challenge" format, they can get rid of some of the "Racheal Ray" feel. I like BBQ, and I like grilling, and I like TLC, and I like the idea of the show, I just want to be more real and more educational. I mean, how many of us tried to duplicate Johnny Triggs ribs last year after watching the show??? This year, you really can't learn anything.

Pretty much we are all in agreement, and given the chance, there must be a way to have some dialog with the people who make decisions. These are some very brilliant people who created this show and others, so again, there must be a way to provide some influence without just saying that it "sucks!"

What I don't understand, is why so many people seem to take this show so personally as if they have some sort of stake in the show or that it represents them personally.

Amen to that! I've never understood why folks are so personally invested in this show.

John

I think the host is just brutal. His facial expression and mannerisms when he says "and the loser of the challenge....(contorts eyebrows)....will be eliminated (said as he contorts his mouth)"

That's painful to watch, and he does it every week, and they show it at least twice. It makes me feel embarrassed for him.

This is a minor point, but I also don't understand why they make such a point about how the pitmasters have their own spices but they can also use the pantry.

Great.

The elimination challenge seems to take any strategy out of the competition. I guess not ALL of the strategy, but it just adds a random element. I guess that may be broadly appealing since people seem to like that on shows like Survivor or whatever, but it makes it more like a show than a contest, if that makes sense.

Even Myron comes across a little weird in this format. Last year, you saw a more complete version of Myron. A great competitor who also talked trash and was in your face. Now we just see this guy sitting there who tosses in extra "damns" and "ass" in places where they don't make sense.

Who is he if you don't already know him? It's like last season was a pre-req for this one. If you watched last season or know him, he's cool in this format. But I bet new people are like "who is that weird man?"

Just my 2 cents. I'd be curious about how the ratings are vs. last year. Can this be made like Hard Knocks, the HBO show which shows the NFL training camp experience? I guess that was more like last year's format. Maybe not that broadly appealing, but at least you can nail it to people who like BBQ plus others who just like good television.

The current format is not appealing to people seeking out good TV and even less appealing to people who like BBQ contests. I think it appeals to the National Enquirer/TMZ/Survivor crowd, though. And if that's more appealing from a ratings POV, then I think the current format is right.

I think the host is just brutal. His facial expression and mannerisms when he says "and the loser of the challenge....(contorts eyebrows)....will be eliminated (said as he contorts his mouth)"

That's painful to watch, and he does it every week, and they show it at least twice. It makes me feel embarrassed for him.

This is a minor point, but I also don't understand why they make such a point about how the pitmasters have their own spices but they can also use the pantry.

Great.

The elimination challenge seems to take any strategy out of the competition. I guess not ALL of the strategy, but it just adds a random element. I guess that may be broadly appealing since people seem to like that on shows like Survivor or whatever, but it makes it more like a show than a contest, if that makes sense.

Even Myron comes across a little weird in this format. Last year, you saw a more complete version of Myron. A great competitor who also talked trash and was in your face. Now we just see this guy sitting there who tosses in extra "damns" and "ass" in places where they don't make sense.

Who is he if you don't already know him? It's like last season was a pre-req for this one. If you watched last season or know him, he's cool in this format. But I bet new people are like "who is that weird man?"

Just my 2 cents. I'd be curious about how the ratings are vs. last year. Can this be made like Hard Knocks, the HBO show which shows the NFL training camp experience? I guess that was more like last year's format. Maybe not that broadly appealing, but at least you can nail it to people who like BBQ plus others who just like good television.

The current format is not appealing to people seeking out good TV and even less appealing to people who like BBQ contests. I think it appeals to the National Enquirer/TMZ/Survivor crowd, though. And if that's more appealing from a ratings POV, then I think the current format is right.

Wow, I thought I was the only one whose blood pressure rose 20 points when he did the whole...."will be eliminated" speel. Ive read all the post in this thread and with that being said...I am done watching the show. I was on board and tried to go along but after the last show...I just cant take it anymore. Between Warren Sapp and twinkle toes its just too much.

By far this past weeks episode was the worst. To make it better I would get rid of the elimination challenge and announce the side dish along w/the main challenge. This way every team has a chance to do a good job and explain some techniques or ideas along the way, making it more informational. Right now it's mostly teams getting blindsided with ridiculous challenges and very little time to produce something worth eating. These teams are getting set up for failure, rather than given a chance to shine. In the end, just the team that sucked less gets a chance to move on which is stupid. What's next? Teams voting each other off?!:crazy: BTW the host's deficiencies really stuck out after a week off from watching this show.. really cheesy.

Last edited:
Back