Pitboss Copperhead

rkoener

Knows what a fatty is.
I purchased one of the 5 series copperhead smokers from Walmart a couple of weeks ago. I have done 2 cooks on it and I like it so far. There have been some challenges for sure but that is the case with any new cooker in my experience. I have never used a pellet cooker of any kind so there was a bit of a learning curve. Having said that both cooks turned out great.

Assembly was relatively easy. I did it by myself in about 40 mins and I wasn't in a hurry. I set it up and did the burn in right away. it burned off all the assembly chemicals etc...

I did have a damaged door. That seems to be a big issue with these, many are apparently damaged inside the box. I think they need to rethink their packaging. Dealing with the company for warranty was very easy though. They are shipping me a new door. In the meantime the damage is only cosmetic so I am still using the smoker.

Both cooks I did were in the 6-7 hour range. The first time I did beef ribs and the second time I did 3 racks of spares and 2 boneless turkey breasts. Both were delicious! On the first cook the temps spiked a little high after the water evaporated out of the pan. I didn't have it all the way full so that is my fault. I think in the future I may put some foil wrapped fire bricks in the pan in lieu of water.

The second cook I had an issue because I was cooking on my driveway which has a pretty good slope! When I topped off the water pan it spilled out the back of the pan from the slope and it must have gotten into the bottom of the hopper or the auger area. It got an error and quit working. When I inspected the cooker I noticed that the pellets had gotten wet in the auger area and wouldn't let any new pellets in. I dumped all the pellets out with the access door in the back. Then I took out the 15 or so screws that hold the hopper on the back of the cooker out and pulled that part off. This gave me access to the top of the auger. I cleaned out the mushy mess with a screwdriver and shop vac. After I put more pellets in and held the prime button for a bit it fired right back up and we were smoking again. It was a pain but it was all my fault. I guess my main point to posting this is that I have read a couple of other posts were people either complained or were concerned about how to access the auger area for a clean up like this. If you take the back of the hopper off (which was easy) then it was a breeze to fix the issue. If you tried to do all this through the access door it would be almost impossible.

Over all I am VERY happy with the unit. It holds steady temps (as steady as anything) and produces good BBQ. I love the capacity and easy access to the meat! I can't justify spending the kind of money it would take to get a FEC or other comp style vertical cooker so this is a good alternative for me.

Quite a bit more convenient than my WSM so I think I will be using it a lot more.

That is for sure! It made quite a mess in the auger area. Luckily it was fairly easy to clean up. I was back up and going in less than 10 mins.

That is for sure! It made quite a mess in the auger area. Luckily it was fairly easy to clean up. I was back up and going in less than 10 mins.

Your fortunate to unplug/clean it while it's wet, if you would have let them dry, it would have been like concrete.:thumb:

Congrats! I like Pitboss, and I am glad to have a real persons review on the Copperhead. If and when I have to replace my grill, I will go with one of those. Good luck and keep on posting.

So any updates on what you think of the smoker so far?

I just picked one up last weekend.

First smoke for me was a pork butt and it was soso. I think it more had to do with me then the smoker.

This weekend I have done 1 batch of chicken wings. I have to say they are the best ones i have ever done to date. I am also using an A-Maze-N tray for extra smoke flavor, but I have to say even on its own the Pit Boss puts out some nice clouds.

My prior smoker was a good ole country smoker CS570 which I am comparing results to.

But that old girl is showing its age and it was getting to be to way to much work to get it to run so I kind of dropped off for a while feels good to be back.

Today I am smoking up a rack of Baby Back, St Louis, short ribs and beef back ribs. So far so good.

My only complaint on the smoker so far is the water pan dries out on me at around the 3 hour mark. Definitely have to figure out something to be able to do an overnight smoke.

Pellet consumption has been good. Way better then the old smoker.

I would say I am using just a little over a pound per hour running the smoker around 225 to 250.

Temp control so far for me has been okay. I know it swings but overall I think it stays within the temp average its set at.

I have a 6 probe thermometer coming in on Monday. I'll have to do a test run plug all the probes in and see what kind of variances and see if I can make up some kind of Graph.

Overall if you are on the fence I would say get off and go and buy one. For the price it is a hell of a deal for a hell of a smoker.

I am glad that I finally pulled the trigger on this and got back into BBQ again

As far as longevity goes i am pretty hopeful... Look's like the thing carries a 5 year warranty so even if it does have some issues they should be taken care of.

Back