Pit Boss 5 Series Copperhead 1st Cook (Brisket): Put you disappointment pants on!

Since we haven't tired of talking about this thing yet... When did probe jacks become the new cell phone charger proprietary type? Between the PB, my GMG, two Mavericks and an iGrill Mini, not a one of them is the same as another. Found two on Amazon for around $15 that look like they will work for the 2nd jack, but like the original the tip is huge. Not bad for pork butt, but it would be nice to find a smaller tip to avoid going into the cooker with my Thermapan too often. I might still pick up a second to measure ambient temp at multiple spots at once.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JLS6ZCZ/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=ASXZ08NF9JAFV&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C7JPK3W/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A3RFCB56HIHPI8&psc=1

Great point and probably the reason I've stuck with my maverick 732's for basically ever (not having to do the probe dance with multiple types). It's nice the pits come with probes, but having a remote is nice for monitoring. I don't even see the pit coming with probes a big add when there are so many remote options. Igrill does partner with Weber and such so that makes sense to me.

Lol. I think this one will be here to stay. There are still other locations around that have them, just not discounted yet. I'm still checking daily as I have a buddy that would like one. Keep looking :-D.

Hi All the Walmarts in my area have them listed for $446.You got a excellent buy.:-D
DanB

Last edited:
Would a Pro Series temp probe for the Thermoworks Dot or Chefalarm work?

https://www.thermoworks.com/TX-1001X-OP

It does look close (and of course the tip is perfect and the price decent), but without an exact jack size it is probably not worth trying (if anyone is putting out a proprietary device, it is Thermoworks - see the "works only" line in the decription). Now, if someone had one and access to the cooker to try it... :biggrin1:

It does look close (and of course the tip is perfect and the price decent), but without an exact jack size it is probably not worth trying (if anyone is putting out a proprietary device, it is Thermoworks - see the "works only" line in the decription). Now, if someone had one and access to the cooker to try it... :biggrin1:

Just tried the chef alarm. Doesn't fit. To small. Hope this helps.

I tried one from a Farberware I have, it fits perfect but doesn't work. I read somewhere that you also have to get the ohms/resistance right for it to work correctly. Maybe it's BS but I can see that being another issue altogether.

I tried that too. Sure... we have 2 in stock. Get there and... we can't find them but we show to have 2. 30 minutes later i walk out with no cooker. But at least the guy tried really hard to find them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Struck out!!! First time brickseek was wrong for me. There are about a dozen units at full price near me. Will keep checking.

You sound Italian...

Lol. I am still looking for more of these. I'm looking forward to see how they do with jerky and also for smoking sausage.

Jerky Makers/Dehydrates (at least the good ones) cost over $80, especially for the larger ones. This is much larger and if you only did jerky in it, it would be worth the $109.

Not saying I might get another and have 2 side by side........but.........I've done dumber things :becky:

Lol. I am still looking for more of these. I'm looking forward to see how they do with jerky and also for smoking sausage.

Jerky Makers/Dehydrates (at least the good ones) cost over $80, especially for the larger ones. This is much larger and if you only did jerky in it, it would be worth the $109.

Not saying I might get another and have 2 side by side........but.........I've done dumber things :becky:
Yes you have. Some of it is legendary...

How will you approach making jerky in this? Using smoke mode or a higher temp? Anything in the water pan to help reduce temp swings?

If your store sold all of last season's stock and only has new stock they will not clearance out the new stock. Only way to know if it's old or new is to ask the department manager. Also, some managers refuse to put them on clearance while others do it quickly to clear shelf space. One manager thanked me for buying the big item.

Brick seek has been pretty off on locations an hour or so away with showing quantities of 2-4, I called and they said they were all gone. Another example of sometimes they update quickly and other times they don't.

Same here. I've been on the phone the past hour trying to find one. There are some stores with 4 to 8 in stock but at normal full price. The mark down locations are all sold out, even the ones showing available on BRICKSEEK. One location shows 3 and they sold those last week. Looks like there is not going to be one in my future for now.

Not bad if you have the gear to experiment with. $4 USPS shipping. I'm going to have to look through my box o' stuff and see if I have a 2.5>3.5 adapter, I just might.

On a different note (actually cooking related), I've got two racks of St. Louis cut spares and a pork butt about 2 hours in. Almost topped the water off to start and it was pretty much gone an hour in. I'm not going to bother opening the door to add any more. It loses way to much heat even going in for a few seconds. Temp near the door is about 20 degrees lower than the pit temp according to the actual unit, and it isn't ridiculously cold here like some places (mid 40s here with little wind).

*Edit - ribs came off about an hour ago for lunch. About to wrap the butt.

Attachments

• Ijaj2AN.jpg
    Ijaj2AN.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 110
  • uk81V3s.jpg
    uk81V3s.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Here’s the burn in pic.

7877f8e431108570a44ce2d5ab4cb44e.jpg

And a slight door leak.

c50a91bcaf26364a6da09686b13ec721.jpg

I played with the pellet smoker again, still learning but it's tasting good. Props to the gizzard and Asian sauce threads, great idea to change it up.

I started with rack of St Louie ribs cut in half to do regular and Chinese style then pulled some beef back ribs out of the freezer because you can never have to many ribs, Right?

I didn't get pics of the process but here's when I pulled to wrap after 3 hours at 250. This thing cooks like a dehydrator, I sprayed about every 40 minutes but it still gets dry. Those spots are drips from the top and I'll have to use a pan, that's ugly.
100-4033.jpg

After an hour wrapped in foil then glazed with the Chinese basting sauce it was time to cut and glaze again to get flavor everywhere.
100-4034.jpg

Asian to the left of me, Southern to the right....Stuck in the middle again!:biggrin1:
100-4035.jpg

These Asian ribs are tasty!!
100-4040.jpg

I love the room on this thing.
100-4036.jpg

Ribs done
100-4037.jpg

Terrible pic.
100-4042.jpg

Butternut squash with honey and cinnamon, it was wrapped till the last 40 minutes. Next time I'll leave it open to check the difference.
100-4038.jpg

Grocery store special beef back ribs, not much meat but for 2.99 a lb who can complain. FYI, beef back ribs here are the bones they cut off of rib roast so it's cheap ribeye meat. Not bad for 6 bucks.
100-4039.jpg

100-4043.jpg

Gizzards boiled till tender then braised in Jack Millers BBQ sauce=Scooby Snacks!!!
100-4041.jpg

Not bad for a Thursday night.
100-4044.jpg

Back