I cooked an 8 & 1/2 pound rib roast for Christmas on the PBC. On Christmas Eve I prepared the roast with a minimal of trimming.

I used sea salt (I need to get some QSalt) to set up a brief dry age.

The roast was wrapped in film and refrigerated for 18 hours.

I untied the roast and removed the rib plate. I trimmed the meat from the ribs and seared the pieces in a cast iron skillet with some onion. Added some red wine, herbs and water and cooked it down to reduce. Then I prepped the roast for a run on the grate. I suspended another grate below to catch drippings. I strained the skillet into the drippings pan and slipped it under the roast. Inserted my temp probe and we were off!

About 4 hours later I pulled it at 123 degrees. It rested under a foil tent for 20 minutes, then into a cooler to rest until dinner. It settled at 135 degrees.

My family was a bit late to finish the other dishes, so the roast rested long than I had planned, but no matter. It was tender, moist and tasty. The gravy was delicious, but not needed for the beef. It went well with the potatoes! The "sliced" photo is post-dinner (and poor lighting), but it's all I got.

I hope everyone had a great holiday meal and my hat's off once again to my PBC!

No one has seemed to answer this yet and I think it's a good question I'd like to see an answer to too. Also my pbc under the ash catcher it's getting a little rusty. Any need to maintenance?

i scrape my ash catcher with a paint scraper after every cook or two. seems to work well. mine has light rust, but nothing that's really concerning. i've had my PBC for a couple of years now and i leave it outside exposed to the elements and get rain, snow, subzero temps and very hot in the summer. i've yet to scrape the walls of my pbc. i have scraped the bottom of the barrel and juices do flow off of the ash catcher and absorb ash and cake up at the bottom after a while. i just scrape it and dump it out every couple of months. i can see my PBC lasting years and years to come.

depending on where you live, the humidity and factors like that can effect rusting.

Last edited:
other than the official PBC cover, does anyone have any recommendations for a decent cover that fits well? i've seen some reviews on some covers and seen the question asked, but no definitive answers.

other than the official PBC cover, does anyone have any recommendations for a decent cover that fits well? i've seen some reviews on some covers and seen the question asked, but no definitive answers.

I buy the cheap kettle covers at walmart. The $6 will last a season, the $14 will last a lot longer.

I found a canvas smoker cover at Walmart for $15. It’s a year old and looks new. I’ll see if I can find the brand for you. Initially I ordered one that Amazon recommended and it didn’t fit. [emoji1361]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found a canvas smoker cover at Walmart for $15. It’s a year old and looks new. I’ll see if I can find the brand for you. Initially I ordered one that Amazon recommended and it didn’t fit. [emoji1361]

Expert Grill is the brand.

PBC Carving Knife

fjaApoxl.png

Long time no post in the PBCAT since I've been used the PBJ at the cabin on occasion. Late post but I did a Christmas two bone rib roast in the PBJ

zovIoZ1h.jpg

Stuffed with garlic cloves

lksHlzdh.jpg

XTJfgQ2h.jpg

H8sBAQdh.jpg

Had to finish off in the oven since it was cold and I ran through charcoal fast

4qhJvxRh.jpg

:hungry:

W58adZxh.jpg

7Nlqp9Ah.jpg

9BmOyuXh.jpg

Woke up to this Christmas morning :thumb:

8XTtoDph.jpg

dDzZhoXh.jpg

I've been a long time reader and I finally got a PBC for Christmas from the wife. I don't think she realizes what she has done.

I've read so many pages on this thread and I check it everyday to see the mouthwatering pictures and new recipes. Before I get started, I wanted to see if you could provide me with some of the "must have" items for a new PBC owner. The PBC I got came with the accessory package, so I received the ash pan, cover, hinge grate, chimney starter, and the pit grips.

I was looking to get some solid recommendations for thermometers, rubs, bbq sauces, or any other upgrades that I should look into. I'm extremely excited to get started on my first cook and look forward to any responses.

Thank you all for providing so much information throughout these pages. I hope that I posted this in the right forum.

-J Hobs

Welcome Hobs! Sounds like you got everything you need but meat! Get to cookin!

Remote therms come in various price points. Maverick is a good entry level. The Thermoworks Smoke is a bit more but top notch! Also Thermoworks has excellent instant read thermos too...either the lower price ThermoPop or the higher priced ThermoPen.

Back