I think the problem was too much wood. I've found that the drippings will hit the wood and cause it to smolder which causes dirty smoke. It happens worse with bigger pieces of wood than the smaller prices. Also when you light your chimney let the coals get good and lit. I never go by time, always by how they look to determine when to dump them.

Agree completely. I have learned to really dial back the amount of wood I use in the PBC. 1-2 small chunks (small= about 3"x2"x1/2") is plenty, and you might try a cook or two without any wood.....

This is what I discovered on my PBC today. I was actually going to use it for the first time in a long time. I scraped some of the old grease and a little bit of ash that had accumulated around the inside edge of the barrel. I turned it over to get the stuff out and hit the middle of the bottom and a piece of the bottom fell out. I guess it was rusted even though it looked fairly solid.

hqCHFeWl.jpg

TLI6nJwl.jpg

This was an older powder coated PBC that I've had about 3 or 4 years. I bought it used from a guy who had it for about a year. It sits with a PBC cover on it under a covered carport and I dump out the ashes after every use. I also have the ash catcher under the basket.

I was a little surprised to see this happen. You guys might want to check yours if you have an older one.

This is what I discovered on my PBC today. I was actually going to use it for the first time in a long time. I scraped some of the old grease and a little bit of ash that had accumulated around the inside edge of the barrel. I turned it over to get the stuff out and hit the middle of the bottom and a piece of the bottom fell out. I guess it was rusted even though it looked fairly solid.

This was an older powder coated PBC that I've had about 3 or 4 years. I bought it used from a guy who had it for about a year. It sits with a PBC cover on it under a covered carport and I dump out the ashes after every use. I also have the ash catcher under the basket.

I was a little surprised to see this happen. You guys might want to check yours if you have an older one.

I found my original cover wasn't blocking water well. I'd have pools on top of the lid if I didn't use my barrel a lot. After getting the inside coated with mold I upgraded my cover and it's great. I've also since moved and have a spot where my barrel is cover by a small porch so it's less like to get snow and rain on top of it

I found my original cover wasn't blocking water well. I'd have pools on top of the lid if I didn't use my barrel a lot. After getting the inside coated with mold I upgraded my cover and it's great. I've also since moved and have a spot where my barrel is cover by a small porch so it's less like to get snow and rain on top of it

I have never found water in mine but I don't check that often either. I'm wondering if the cover is actually doing more harm than good. When I opened it up today, I found a little bit of mold on the hanging bars that were stored down inside the barrel but that was it.

hqCHFeWl.jpg

TLI6nJwl.jpg

I would contact Noah at least so he knows what is happening with the older model after a few years in service. Maybe he can help out.

Beautiful. Now hang some chicken halves and post some pics. Congrats!

Unfortunately bob, my wife is allergic to chicken of all things. I am going to hang a couple of butts and make me some good ol’ eastern NC BBQ for the maiden voyage. I am in TX now but lived in eastern NC for over 50 years. After reeading up on things, I thimk the PBC is going to be perfect for the types of cooking I enjoy.

Monte,

Contact Noah or Amber. I bet you anything he'll make it right.

I did call PBC but I just called to order a new barrel and lid. The lady that took my order said that the warranty for rust through is one year so I didn't figure I had anything coming.

I guess I could contact Noah to let him know about this but surely I'm not the only person that this has happened to but I'm a little surprised that it didn't last longer than it did considering that I take pretty good care of it.

I did call PBC but I just called to order a new barrel and lid. The lady that took my order said that the warranty for rust through is one year so I didn't figure I had anything coming.

I guess I could contact Noah to let him know about this but surely I'm not the only person that this has happened to but I'm a little surprised that it didn't last longer than it did considering that I take pretty good care of it.

Just tell them brethren sent ya. ;)

not sure how long I have had my barrel but I would guess 4 or 5 years. I took really good care of it at first but then after that I somewhat neglected it but it has no rust threw issues , does have some rust on the lid where the water or snow lays , yes I have to admit I leave it out in the elements most of the time anymore . has some rust on the bottom also but like I said earlier not clear threw and does not appear that it is close to rusting threw either, in fast I am kinda amazed how well mine has held up in the elements with ash left in there from previous cooks until the next cook. I will say I do use my barrel pretty often. spring, summer and fall months at least once a week , winter months when weather is permitting , just my 2 cents and heck maybe I will just order me a new barrel and lid and maybe a few accessories

ps : no cover on it either when sitting out

not sure how long I have had my barrel but I would guess 4 or 5 years. I took really good care of it at first but then after that I somewhat neglected it but it has no rust threw issues , does have some rust on the lid where the water or snow lays , yes I have to admit I leave it out in the elements most of the time anymore . has some rust on the bottom also but like I said earlier not clear threw and does not appear that it is close to rusting threw either, in fast I am kinda amazed how well mine has held up in the elements with ash left in there from previous cooks until the next cook. I will say I do use my barrel pretty often. spring, summer and fall months at least once a week , winter months when weather is permitting , just my 2 cents and heck maybe I will just order me a new barrel and lid and maybe a few accessories

ps : no cover on it either when sitting out

Mine did not look bad either but when I hit the middle, that piece dropped out and surprised the crap out of me.

I'm wondering if using the cover is holding moisture inside?

You are using the stand? It’s not resting on the ground?

It is always been on the stand and not resting on the concrete floor on which it is stored.

I really don't know why it rusted like that. It's always been covered with a cover and has always been under a covered Carport so it's never been out in the elements while I had it. The original owner had a generic cover on it in his back yard.

But like I said before, this thing still looked almost like new on the outside when I got it because the original owner didn't use it much. He even gave me the rest of the PB rub that came with the cooker which both of them were at least half full.

I know these things can't last forever so it is what it is. I just know I did pretty much everything I could do to make it last as long as possible.

And we are underway. Two pork butts and a half fresh turkey breast. I made a rub for the turkey breast but the butts (ha ha) are being cooked naked. I am going to add my eastern nc sauce when I pull them. I’ll post the pictures when everything is done. Purchased the Fireboard thermometer to monitor everything. Smells good already.

Attachments

• 78AF51E4-7318-45D1-BF58-3E4C2B7EF047.jpg
    78AF51E4-7318-45D1-BF58-3E4C2B7EF047.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 220
if he was letting it sit on grass I would say that is the problem. on grass even on the stand is not good in my opinion

It has never sat on grass, even to cook. I took the picture of it on grass because I was dumping the stuff that I had scraped off in the grass. The original owner had it on his concrete patio. Who knows why it rusted out already.

My half turkey breast.

The butts are still cooking. Perhaps I didn’t start with enough coals but my temp dropped to around 200 at about 4 1/2 hrs or so in. I lit another chimney full of coals and then added them. Currently pit temp back up 245 ish. All in all, I am not worried even if I have to finish these rascals in the oven. I know that there is a learning curve to cookers. Not worried or stressed because I know you guys will give good guidance.

Attachments

• 8076DF0D-407B-4C43-A994-15A9A11695BC.jpg
    8076DF0D-407B-4C43-A994-15A9A11695BC.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 191
Back