THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How much wood do you guys use for say a few racks of ribs? I bought 3 bags of Weber Chunk wood tonight. If I was to do 3 racks, will say 3 good chunks be enough or two much? Do you reapply wood when it burns off?

2-3 chunks sounds about right to me. I usually only add wood if I am switching out meats or something. You can get a great smoke flavor from a couple of chunks.

I know the instructions say it is ready to use out of the box, but did anybody just do a burn with no food to burn it off and season it?

Tomorrow's cook for my parents:

Odat3bsl.jpg

3 slabs of Aldi ribs!

What are y'all's saucing strategies for ribs on the PBJ/PBC? Follow what the recipe says on the website, aka put sauce on halfway in? Or sauce near the end and crack the lid to caramelize?

When I sauce I usually do it at the end if they're no wrap ribs. Sometimes I sauce during wrap and another layer towards the end. That's me though.

Couple of questions. Got the ribs on the pit barrel and for starters the damn things are damn near in the pit, second, I have the vent set a 1/4 and the temp is almost touching 340 degrees. I reset the vent almost to a sliver and the temps are still sky rocketing. I am sea level as I live on the ocean. One thing I noticed is that the vent is not flush, does it need to be flush against the barrel. From the pic you can see how it is sticking out away from the barrel. IMO it is just wide open sitting this way? I don’t have a proper probe yet. I just have a single probe for food and hanging it off the rod but it should keep temp right? I ordered one and it has not come yet. Trial and error I guess. I did relook them to the 3rd rib, but they are still just about in the fire. I guess you have to saw off the first two ribs or so?

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_a10.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_a10.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 152
  • fullsizeoutput_a0f.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_a0f.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 151
My ribs are now smoking away in my PBJ! I tried to put my three slabs on, but they were touching the coals; ran back inside and cut them in half, so luckily I had three extra hooks!

FvCtNQ2l.jpg

(Third slab not pictured)

cAkbqeWl.jpg

Smoking in apple wood!

My ribs are now smoking away in my PBJ! I tried to put my three slabs on, but they were touching the coals; ran back inside and cut them in half, so luckily I had three extra hooks!

Looks good. I am having the same problems as my ribs are in the pit, but I cleared away some coals and they have seemed to pull back a little bit and they retracted a bit, but still very close. I am just having a problem with the temps. I have the vent just about shut and it is still in the hood of 300 degrees. I mean is this thing designed to run that hot? The vent cannot be all the way shut as it is shorter, so I cannot close it any more. I may be below sea level as the navigation in my car shows elevation and in the past that I have looked, I am about -10 sea level. I wonder if this is having an issue on mine?

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_a13.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_a13.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 150

Looks good. I am having the same problems as my ribs are in the pit, but I cleared away some coals and they have seemed to pull back a little bit and they retracted a bit, but still very close. I am just having a problem with the temps. I have the vent just about shut and it is still in the hood of 300 degrees. I mean is this thing designed to run that hot? The vent cannot be all the way shut as it is shorter, so I cannot close it any more. I may be below sea level as the navigation in my car shows elevation and in the past that I have looked, I am about -10 sea level. I wonder if this is having an issue on mine?

The PBC is designed to run at about 275, and I wouldn’t fret about 25 degrees either way. Just adjust your cooking time. I don’t even monitor anymore. Just make sure you have a good tight seal on the lid to keep down temps (I used to have to smack with a rubber mallet until it was broken in). Also, as long as the ribs aren’t touching the coals, you’re fine. The extra crispy ribs near the coals are what we like to call the “chef’s treat”. Check for doneness after 3 hours. Done when the ribs pull back about 1/2” and a toothpick slides in between the bones like buttah (usually about 3.5 hours for me. You can sauce and then rehang for 10 minutes to set the sauce if you wish).
Get ready for some good eats!

Having a pretty bad cook. I don't know how, but the lid is not sealing like it did the first two cooks, and therefore the temperature is way higher (380 or so) than I want it to be. I guess I could have warped the lid, but I don't remember anything that would have done so. Smoke is pouring out from under the lid, and it moves back and forth when i poke each side of the lid.

Having a pretty bad cook. I don't know how, but the lid is not sealing like it did the first two cooks, and therefore the temperature is way higher (380 or so) than I want it to be. I guess I could have warped the lid, but I don't remember anything that would have done so. Smoke is pouring out from under the lid, and it moves back and forth when i poke each side of the lid.

Try smacking down, fairly gently with a rubber mallet. You can also try using some foil to get a tighter seal. After gets broken in you should be good, unless the lid is warped and then you should call the company. They will take care of you if that is the case

At least they still tasted good! I left a message on their voicemail box.

Try smacking down, fairly gently with a rubber mallet. You can also try using some foil to get a tighter seal. After gets broken in you should be good, unless the lid is warped and then you should call the company. They will take care of you if that is the case

I am having issues also, Funny you are to. I should have left it alone. Next time I will trust the process. First timer issues I guess . I just got nervous with temps hitting 350. The ribs look fantastic though. Nice color. I dig go out and give the coals a little shake up. Seems like it burned funny and the the outside coals were not getting any fire. Temps have settled down to 250. Only have an hour left. Going to be some learning with this thing.

Last edited:
The PBC is designed to run at about 275, and I wouldn’t fret about 25 degrees either way. Just adjust your cooking time. I don’t even monitor anymore. Just make sure you have a good tight seal on the lid to keep down temps (I used to have to smack with a rubber mallet until it was broken in). Also, as long as the ribs aren’t touching the coals, you’re fine. The extra crispy ribs near the coals are what we like to call the “chef’s treat”. Check for doneness after 3 hours. Done when the ribs pull back about 1/2” and a toothpick slides in between the bones like buttah (usually about 3.5 hours for me. You can sauce and then rehang for 10 minutes to set the sauce if you wish).
Get ready for some good eats!
Yeah I am panicking a bit. Thanks for the feed back. I went to the FAQ’s at PBC.com and it says the first hours the cooker runs hotter. I will monitor. 350 after being on for an hour had me concerned.

Anyway I just pulled the ribs from the grill and I gotta say I am not overly impressed. They been on for 4 hours and some change and they still appear to not be cooked. They never really pulled off the bone and they have a real smokey charred taste to them. Used Kingsford and two chunks of apple. Think I am going to wrap them in foil and see if I can salvage them. This thing maybe going on craigslist! I have done stacks of ribs on the pellet and they always turn out fantastic. Cannot say the same with. Will certainly give it another shot, but first impressions are I made a mistake!

Last edited:
Yeah I am panicking a bit. Thanks for the feed back. I went to the FAQ’s at PBC.com and it says the first hours the cooker runs hotter. I will monitor. 350 after being on for an hour had me concerned.

Anyway I just pulled the ribs from the grill and I gotta say I am not overly impressed. They been on for 4 hours and some change and they still appear to not be cooked. They never really pulled off the bone and they have a real smokey charred taste to them. Used Kingsford and two chunks of apple. Think I am going to wrap them in foil and see if I can salvage them. This thing maybe going on craigslist! I have done stacks of ribs on the pellet and they always turn out fantastic. Cannot say the same with. Will certainly give it another shot, but first impressions are I made a mistake!

My first cook I did chicken and doing some more on it later today with a duck! Hands down the best whole chicken cooker ever! Try it and you’ll change your mind about it. Give the PBC another couple of cooks and then try ribs again. The grease buildup on the inside should help your temperature issues also.

Back