I've been counting 37 coals lately and getting 250-265 range. Next cook I'm going to bump it to 38 and see what happens. Counting them takes 30-60seconds max for me I'd say

I will make a prediction. 38 coals will put you in the 265-280 range.

Let me know if I'm right. :thumb:

Last edited:
The reason I bought my PBC was for the idea of not giving a flying crap about temp. I have other smokers that I have to worry about that with.

I lit mine for the first time last Saturday just like Noah says to, fill basket full, take out 40, light in chimney and add to basket after 15 minutes. Put rebar in and close lid. I hung meat 15 minutes later. I don't give a flip what the temp is doing. I didn't even wait until all coals were red in the chimney. I dumped them exactly 15 minutes after I lit them.

Result was the best ribs I have ever cooked. Not worrying about temp was priceless in my mind and one of the main reasons I bought the PBC. My offset smoker can't put out ribs better than that and the PBC does it effortlessly​ on my part.

Life and weekends are too short to worry about and chase temps. Use the PBC as it was designed to be used and worry about running out of beer rather than worrying about what temp the cooker is at. Just my .02

Select will be fine. Obviously less marbling and less fat content but plenty of people cooking good select briskets here.

If the brisket was cryovaced it will be fine. If it has a littlest freezer burn it can lose some flavor but isn't harmful to eat. Just trim off any grey looking or obviously burned parts. Safest way to defrost is in the fridge for a few days.

Butcher paper you can get cheap here. http://www.webstaurantstore.com/24-x-700-40-peach-treated-butcher-paper-roll/43324PEA.html

Thanks for the quick reply on the brisket.

Looks like a pretty good deal on the butcher paper there. I almost pulled the trigger, but I waited too late and couldn't get it before this weekend.

I'll second what Sportster said. I've cooked selects before and they come out fine. Only reason I don't anymore because we get prime packers for cheap here and sometimes there is no price difference between both so it's a no brainer.

Here's a small select I cooked on the PBC some time back. Every bit tender and moist

Hung it along with a turkey

DFr5qWSh.png

QCdN348h.png

a3iZCMgh.png

Thanks ssv3. Good to know selects can/will be fine. I have now read most of this thread now and envy all of your cooks.

fou - Gordon Food Service stocks the butcher paper I use. They should have a presence in your area.

Edit - 9312 Kingston Pike, Knoxville, TN 37922

Thingfish - that's funny because I actually looked that place up prior to seeing your message. Too bad I didn't see it before because I went ahead and ordered some off A-zon.

Last edited:
The reason I bought my PBC was for the idea of not giving a flying crap about temp. I have other smokers that I have to worry about that with.

I lit mine for the first time last Saturday just like Noah says to, fill basket full, take out 40, light in chimney and add to basket after 15 minutes. Put rebar in and close lid. I hung meat 15 minutes later. I don't give a flip what the temp is doing. I didn't even wait until all coals were red in the chimney. I dumped them exactly 15 minutes after I lit them.

Result was the best ribs I have ever cooked. Not worrying about temp was priceless in my mind and one of the main reasons I bought the PBC. My offset smoker can't put out ribs better than that and the PBC does it effortlessly​ on my part.

Life and weekends are too short to worry about and chase temps. Use the PBC as it was designed to be used and worry about running out of beer rather than worrying about what temp the cooker is at. Just my .02

I bought a Maverick ET type of probe thermometer thing a couple of months after buying the PBC since it was on sale and I saw so many people on the site using one.

I'm getting the alarm going off because the temp is supposedly dropping below 225. Check the cooker and it looks like it always had before. The experience with this thermometer v. just using a ThermoPop was annoying and frustrating.

I haven't used it since and the only time my food doesn't compare to previous cooks is when I have to serve earlier than I'd like due to hungry, impatient mouths.

Amazing cooker. I just light it the same way every time and get consistent results. Some cooks run hotter, some cooler but only to the point really where maybe I have to wrap 30 minutes earlier or later. No big deal.

We all enjoy cooking in different ways so I have no problem with anyone wanting to control or chase temps in the PBC. For me, the prep/trimming of the meat is all the work I want to put in so the ability to set and forget with the PBC is a huge draw. The ease of use, coupled with the product it puts out is why I recommend it to everyone and have watched as strangers I just met buy one via their cell phone!

This is how I roll (no offense to those who cook differently). I don't much care what the temp is. I can just "feel" when it's right and let the cooker do the rest. I haven't been disappointed yet.

This is how I roll (no offense to those who cook differently). I don't much care what the temp is. I can just "feel" when it's right and let the cooker do the rest. I haven't been disappointed yet.

Me too. But I gotta disagree that the ribs are better than in a stick burner. :becky:

I liked the flavor better than my stick burner. Was just something about it that I can't put my finger on. :crazy:

Different flavor profiles due to the PBC's self basting and didn't say PBC makes bad ribs. I've made a ton of ribs using the PBC that were excellent but offset takes it a notch higher for me.

great info here on temps guys...different techniques, etc. and I will say totally see the other side of it - ignoring temps all together and letting the pbc do its thing.
just curious - does anyone follow the 15/10/10 method of starting the PBC on amazingribs.com site?
http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/pit_barrel_cooker_tips_and_technique.html

Yes, when I want higher temps (350 or so) when I do something like hanging chickens. This allows for a higher starting temperature and makes it so the chicken is done in about 1.5 hours rather than 2 (I'll also crack the lid about 1/2 inch after 1 hour). I also use Professional or Stubbs briquettes as they burn hotter and save the KBB for longer cooks. Noah's way of hooking and hanging works fine but while the chicken skin is edible as it's not too rubbery, I like it crispier. Can't beat PBC chicken!

Since we are talking about lighting the PBC and I was reading a charcoal thread on the site, I was wondering something.

I've only used KBB as recommended along with a couple chunks of wood.

If I were to use Stubbs instead, does there need to be a different amount used to light at the beginning? Does it burn faster/slower and is there any difference in taste?

From testing different things that are talked about on the site, I feel like a lot is actually in the mind and not the actual results. So, is Stubbs actually better and does it impact the flavor or is there a "It cost more and KBB is for rank amateurs" vibe going on?

I'm obviously happy with my results so far but would pay more for the Stubbs briquettes if there is a tangible benefit over KBB.

Thanks in advance!

Different flavor profiles due to the PBC's self basting and didn't say PBC makes bad ribs. I've made a ton of ribs using the PBC that were excellent but offset takes it a notch higher for me.

I've looked at some of your cooks and you get killer smoke rings with the PBC. What is your method of adding wood or do you add wood?

I've looked at some of your cooks and you get killer smoke rings with the PBC. What is your method of adding wood or do you add wood?

Doesn't matter, at least on a PBC, if you use wood or not, but the best smoke rings I get in general are from placing wet, cold meat on the cooker. Forget bringing meat up to temp, first off it's a ridiculous notion. Leave your meat on the counter for an hour, then check the temp. I bet it's still in the 40's. At best you're taking a slight chill off the surface.

Honestly, most of the time I don't even use wood. The times that I do, I only use 2-3 chunks depending on size. I feel like the drippings hitting coals, evaporating then the resulting vapor/smoke basting the meat provides the fine flavor by itself already.

As for the smoke ring, my technique is take out the meat from the fridge within an hour to hour and a half before it goes on the grill. In that time frame I season it, make sure the seasoning sweats through, and once the fire is ready I hang it. That's it.

Of course, after posting in here how my temps are always good to go and I have no issues, the cooker ran lower than normal yesterday. I was thinking about the discussion on here about counting out briquettes and think I may have gone from 29 right to 40. Not sure. I also sprinkled the hot coals around the outside of the basket and kind of steered clear from the middle. Don't know if that was the difference or not but, regardless, she ran lower than normal yesterday.

13 pound brisket pre-trimming was at ~140 after five hours. Usually, I'm at 165 minimum after five hours. I also did three baby back racks. Took them off after 5 1/2 hours and they weren't completely done yet.

So I had people over as well. I wound up wrapping the ribs in foil and putting them in the oven. Turned out real good so I was able to save the day with some of the guests saying that this was the best I've made. There have been better ones, IMO, but I may have to give this wrapping another try as I've only done ribs on the PBC from start to finish.

No pics of the ribs as serving food 2 hours late doesn't lend itself to taking pictures of said food. The brisket went on at 10:45. Wrapped at around 4. Off the smoker at 8 and held until 10:15. So 11 1/2 hours from hanging to unwrapping.

Best brisket I've made yet and I was freaking out the whole time haha. Of course, everyone was gone by then so I didn't get to share it with everyone but the girlfriend got out of bed after I had her try some of the flat so she could tackle some point. Great for leftovers at work today. Don't know what I did wrong at the outset, but it turned out well in the end.

Last edited:
I swear my barrel KNOWS when I'm having company and cooks slower than when I'm cooking for myself and my wife. That said, that's a great looking brisket and as long as your cooler was full I would have stayed for the final product!

I swear my barrel KNOWS when I'm having company and cooks slower than when I'm cooking for myself and my wife. That said, that's a great looking brisket and as long as your cooler was full I would have stayed for the final product!

I knew the brisket was more of a 7PM type deal but I thought 5-5 1/2 would be no problem for the ribs and that would tide everyone over.

WAY off hahaha.

Girlfriend got irrational and was mad at me. This happened shortly after the ribs. People got some food finally and saw the perfect opportunity to leave with her being in a mood.

Me, I would of fought through any awkwardness for some of the brisket but that's why I post on here and they've never heard of the Brethren!

I knew the brisket was more of a 7PM type deal but I thought 5-5 1/2 would be no problem for the ribs and that would tide everyone over.

WAY off hahaha.

Girlfriend got irrational and was mad at me. This happened shortly after the ribs. People got some food finally and saw the perfect opportunity to leave with her being in a mood.

Me, I would of fought through any awkwardness for some of the brisket but that's why I post on here and they've never heard of the Brethren!

Murphy's Law was in play for sure. I feel your pain. My wife gets peeved if the food takes longer than my initial estimate. So now i try to start a few hours early and figure with most meats i can always rest in the cooler until dinner time.

This kind or reminds me of an earlier post when people were talking about just letting the PBC do its thing. I agree that is a great way to cook when the only thing you are worried about is whether you drink 3 beers while the ribs cook or 6. I have modified my PBC to allow for precise temperature control so that my timing is always the same. I don't always use it that way, but if dinner is at a certain time, or for comps especially it is nice knowing exactly how long it will take. I am not saying anyone should or shouldn't worry about the temp, but there are advantages to being able to dial in the temp. That being said this weekend I took the who cares what the temp is I am just drinking beer and my wife ended up leaving to go get take out because she was tired of waiting on me to finish cooking! :-D
Murphy's Law was in play for sure. I feel your pain. My wife gets peeved if the food takes longer than my initial estimate. So now i try to start a few hours early and figure with most meats i can always rest in the cooler until dinner time.

Back