Pellet Smoker Pulled Pork pr0n!

sleebus.jones

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
sleebs
Put one of those $0.99/lb pork shoulders to work last night on the wee little GMG Davy Crockett. Salted at 2.5g/Lb about 12 hours prior to the cook. Used Meathead's Memphis Dust for a rub, stuck it to the meat with Worcestershire. Set grill to 225° and left it there for the ~15 hr cook. No spritzing, wrapping, saucing or other tomfoolery. Not only that, I cooked it fat side down. Hah!

So, this will likely be one of my last cooks at a temp this low. For a hunk this big, the outside starts to get pretty dry before the inside cooks. Next time I'll cook at 275°. I took this one up to 200° IT before it finally probed tender. At 195° it was a no go, but 5° more and I was in the butterzone.

On to the pr0n!

Straight off the grill
Fz7PE2ah.jpg

Bone came out easily and cleanly
4hHZdXLh.jpg

Chop chop. I don't pull, I roughly chop. I like the texture better that way.
vuHvTNhh.jpg

:shocked: Mmmmm look closely into my pork :shocked:
8tAr7Nlh.jpg

Looks like we're gonna eat well for a few days! :thumb:

So if it came out so well why the change from 225 to 275? Fuel consumption and time?

Good question.

I mentioned in the first post that the outer part of the shoulder was starting to get a bit dry. This cook was a bit of an experiment with cooking a big one at low temps to see if that would happen and it did. I'm a big proponent of Hot n Fast (HnF) cooking, but wanted one last shot at LnS before making a change. I've had very good luck with HnF brisket and ribs, so next time I'll be cooking at 275. I've seen with large (and small!) cuts that the meat gets done so fast, it doesn't have time to dry out...and this was a 15 hour cook.

So, yes, this will definitely save some time. It should be a juicer, moister product also. Fuel consumption will probably be slightly higher as I'm getting further away from ambient temps, but I don't think it'll be much.

I'll post again with the results from a HnF pork shoulder, but I gotta get though the ~13# yield from this one first! :shocked:

^^^being relatively new to pellet cooking, I've been experimenting a good bit and am getting excellent results by doing butts and briskets around 200 for 2-3 hours and then ramping it up to 275. Getting good smoke and bark and getting done in 8-10 hours vs 15. I have not done any 300-325 butts or brisket cooks on a pellet yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

^^^being relatively new to pellet cooking, I've been experimenting a good bit and am getting excellent results by doing butts and briskets around 200 for 2-3 hours and then ramping it up to 275. Getting good smoke and bark and getting done in 8-10 hours vs 15. I have not done any 300-325 butts or brisket cooks on a pellet yet

Well, when I first started with the pellet smokers, I used to do that; smoke for a few hours at 170, then go up to the cooking temp. I found that it really didn't make any difference other than to extend the cook time. So, I stopped doing it. Give it a try...cook straight through at your cook temp and see what you think. I am with ya on the 275 cook temp for pretty much just about everything. My only exception is chicken (skin on) and sausage which I cook higher.

That looks great.

I've noticed better results with my butts when I started cooking them at 275. Not much of a stall.

I also simply score the fat cap in 1" squares and place it down towards the heat deflector. I'm cooking in a kamado and this yields the best results for me.

Back