Pellet Pooper Reverse Sear Without the Sear

Bacchus2b

is Blowin Smoke!
After several years of practice I'm finally mastering my own version of Prime Rib. I go with a pretty extreme trim losing the tail completely. I keep the tail for sausage and then take off as much silver skin as I can before rolling and tying before seasoning. This one was hit with McCormick Montreal Steak seasoning, Kosher Salt, and 16 mesh Pepper before spending the night in the refrigerator.

Smoked at 180 degrees for about three hours before increasing the heat to 225 for an hour, then 250, and finally 275. I pulled it at an internal temp of 121 degrees, then it carried over to an internal of 126 degrees while resting over the next hour.

Originally I was going to pull at 115 and sear it in my oven at 500 degrees, but I liked the color so much I just stuck it back in the smoker and skipped the sear!

Seasoned Overnight

Smoked Prime Rib Dry Brine 12-25-19 by David Miller, on Flickr

Smoked to 221 Degrees Internal

Smoked Prime Rib 12-25-19 by David Miller, on Flickr

Sliced after resting

Smoked Prime Rib Sliced 12-25-19 by David Miller, on Flickr

Richard is a Master of the Understatement. I say -
That F+++ 'in Piece of F)*^%# 'in Meat Looks
farkin' Delicious - is more appropriate!
I will say, however, to Up your game on the knife, you see 'saw' marks (like on mine as well) use long slow, deliberate strokes...not quick back and forth strokes.
If your knife is good, one slice, one push, then one pull..

Richard is a Master of the Understatement. I say -
That F+++ 'in Piece of F)*^%# 'in Meat Looks
farkin' Delicious - is more appropriate!
I will say, however, to Up your game on the knife, you see 'saw' marks (like on mine as well) use long slow, deliberate strokes...not quick back and forth strokes.
If your knife is good, one slice, one push, then one pull..

You are absolutely right! :clap: In my excitement to cut into the damn thing and see how the color looked, I pulled out a serrated slicer instead of my straight-edge carvers and that's the result you see. I actually have several really nice carving knives that were left in the drawer tonight, but at least I remembered to take pictures!

Back