PBC mods - Who's done what?

I got used to the business card magnets on my clone- it did the trick on the bar holes.... but once after cooking chicken at a "higher than recommended temp"- I had to...use a scraper to remove the melted sheet magnet from the inlet. I since modded the inlet to use a home made S.S. slide damper.

A good way to deal with the ashes is to vacuum the inside with a shop vac. Works great and keeps the outside cleaner.

I haven't used anything but KB in it, so plan to experiment with a bit of lump and also try 100% hardwood briquets.

I use a leaf blower to get ash out

I jumped on the pizza pan ash catcher bandwagon but no other mods. I have tried Stubbs and Kingsford. No real preference but Kingsford is the only one that has the two large bags for 9.99 deal around here so that's what I use.

With intake vent replaced with a S.S. adapter, and the PartyQ, ( better than a ball valve - Fwismoker) and the ash catcher installed, only one significant thing remains in my mind.

Casters! My wife cannot move it around on the patio. Thing is I don't want to mess with the nice looks, or robust nature of my little PBC. So this will take some thinking.

That many many mods should never be needed on a good cooker unless you want to change things for your personal liking. Most don't do any mods so they must be happy.

I don't own one but if I found one Craig's List etc... for a good deal then I would add a therm in the center, drill holes in the side of the charcoal ring (I like side air in addition to the bottom air for best convection)

The intake I would find a way to close off the flap intake and replace it with slider vent or ball valves for easy control. I think temp should be controlled from the intake vs exhaust.

The exhaust I would make bigger because there isn't that much room when the rebar is inserted. In addition to that I would go buy cork to plug the holes for shut down to save fuel.

Lastly I would put a pan under the basket instead of having to use foil.

I have guru's and IQ's and don't use them now so that would be out.

No permanent mods are necessary in my opinion. The most common addition is a pizza pan or heavy duty foil to collect ash. I use a Maverick thermometer but I don't consider that a mod because I use the same one on my weber that has an analog temp guage. I just like to know what's going on and it to be accurate. Nothing else is really necessary. I've got my vent cap configured and it stays at 270-285. When I want an increase of Temps I can pull a rod or Crack the lid slightly. I could see someone potentially adding a drip pan (or diffuser) for some cooks but only if they get more dripping from meat than they want. But again this can be don't in a non permanent manner.

Edit: I typically cook everything in the 260-280 range so I don't need to adjust the vent cap all the time. I'll cook chicken hotter but again it's easier in my opinion to just pull a rod and/or Crack the lid to get a temp increase. If you change your temp range for every cook you may wish to mod the vent cap or look at another cooker. The PBC is awesome just the way it!

Back