PBC 12# Brisket and spatchcock chicken at the same time?

th3r00st3r

Knows what a fatty is.
i have a 12 lb brisket ( my first) trimmed, rubbed and ready to go in the fridge. I also have a young chicken that I will spatchcock tomorrow. I am 700 feet above sea level (so cal) with the intake 1/4 open. I estimate the brisket to cook 3 1/2 - 4 hrs on the PBC to get to 160, then will wrap and put on grate for another hour hour and a half to 200-205. I expect the chicken to take under 2 hrs.

Can I put the chicken on the hooks 1/2 hour before I remove and wrap the brisket, keep the chicken on the hooks, and put the grate on top when I put the brisket back on? I will let the brisket rest for 30 min before serving, so I guess I could put the chicken on the hooks when I remove the brisket for wrapping.

Just looking for some guidance from those that have done this before.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I don't think you will have enough room if you put the grate on top of the rods with a brisket on it unless you are only cooking a flat. What I would do is start earlier and cook the brisket fully then "hold" it in an ice chest while the chicken cooks. I don't think you'll have problems getting the brisket to hold for 2 hrs.
You really need to cook the chicken hotter than you would the brisket anyway. You'll probably need to Crack the lid on the PBC to get the temp up. If not the while cook then definitely the last 15 minutes or so to get the skin crispy.

That's a good idea, I was just trying to save some time. If I start at 10am, I can put the brisket on for 5hrs (3pm) and put it in a cooler and then the chicken for 2 and eat at around 5. That sound like a good plan?

When I cook a brisket it usually takes about 1 hour per pound.
I don't think you can cook a 12 lb brisket to tender in 5 hours, at least not in my experience.

I usually cook only brisket points, and a 7 lb point takes around 7 hours.
A 12lb brisket takes me 9-10 hours, even at 275.

For the chicken, 325-350 is going to give a much better result than 250-275.
Hot and fast for chicken, lower and slower for a good brisket.

Best of luck!

I would allow more than 5 hours as well for the brisket. Did a 12 lb one last week and total time was about 8 hours. Your mileage will vary but it is best to start earlier and you can always rest in a cooler until ready to eat. Perhaps when you take off the brisket you can add coals to the basket and start with a fresh hot fire for the chicken

I would allow more than 5 hours as well for the brisket. Did a 12 lb one last week and total time was about 8 hours. Your mileage will vary but it is best to start earlier and you can always rest in a cooler until ready to eat. Perhaps when you take off the brisket you can add coals to the basket and start with a fresh hot fire for the chicken

Ok. I didn't think 5hrs was long enough, but Noah's video had him at about 5 hrs, but I don't know the size his brisket was.

If we want to eat at 5,I will start it at 6 am and hopefully take it off at 3 still giving me 2 hrs for the chicken.

Thanks Harley for the tip on adding more coals after I take off the brisket. I will also crack the lid to up the temp on the chicken.

It on!
0mCcEam.jpg

2uWWFUR.jpg

Am a little Leary about the time I added to it based on recommendations. Noah's video on the PBC had a 14# at 5-5.5 hrs as did smokey ribs YouTube video with his 12#. I will let you know.

Last edited:
The good thing is that the cook is followed by a rest period. That rest can be several hours if you wrap in an insulator and rest in a cooler.

As I mentioned, your mileage will vary from mine. Every brisket is different and everyone's PBC can run differently based on elevation and the exact setting of the bottom vent. I just hate having people wait for dinner if the cook is running slow, so I think it is best to start early and put the meat in the cooler if done early. Best of luck to you and keep us posted.

Thanks Thingfish and Bob. I'm sure it will turn out fine. It's just the first brisket on the first cook oil the new PBC jitters.

Thanks for the advice.

I have cooked a full packer brisket 3 racks of ribs and two chickens at the same time in my PBC. I'm an advanced beginner. Any skill at all you can too

Run 75% all natural briquettes and 25% Lump and about a beer can size amount of pecan on top of the coal right before you hang meat. Close the freaking lid and play with the dog. Check chicken in two hours, ribs in 4 if baby backs 4.5 if spares and brisket at 6. Use a low sugar rub- like listed 4 and lower on label. For get spritzing. Want sweet meat?? Place a glaze the last 30 minutes.

Again, I'm a novice.post up what you learn so we can all advance.

I know what FDA says about chick temp safety. I cook my pollo to 187. Juicy succulent and crispy skin. I tear it off anyways

Last edited:
Th3 might also suggest reviewing hanging instructions in the PBC videos. I've always followed the instructions, takes up less room(makes more room for other meats) and I've never dropped one. Not saying yours will, but imho your taking up rib and chicken space.

If you think this suggestion is BS- that's ok too. Lots of ways to getting to a destination.

Hey Adams, do you wrap in foil and put a both or liquid in the wrap when you do brisket on the PBC?
I'm doing my first today but wasn't wanting to add a liquid if I didn't need too. Thanks!

Oh and I was going to mention the interesting hanging method too. :p

If I do a lot of fat trimming, yes I add liquid. Usually chicken stock. If I've gotten lazy or the fat is really white and soft- nope no liquid. I'm sure you've seen it. Sometimes the fat is soft and white, at times it looks like a dark callous. I trim hard fat.

Yes I foil around 165 175 place on the grate- check it at 205 and let that foiled sucker rest in a cooler wrapped in bath towels for 2 hours at least

I have found the smaller 10-12# briskest need less trimming as the fat is pretty soft. And cooks quicker

Ok, thanks. I bought a choice brisket but I may have taken out too much fat. I trimmed it similar to the way Noah did in his first brisket video from about 2 years ago. I noticed he did another one more recent and didn't trim as much. This is my first ever brisket so I'll learn. I think I may go without liquid just to see. Here's a pic of the fat side but realize I trimmed a lot out of the middle. I have that flap thing going on again like Noah did in his first video. The fat was fairly soft so I probably should have left it.

Last edited:
Th3 might also suggest reviewing hanging instructions in the PBC videos. I've always followed the instructions, takes up less room(makes more room for other meats) and I've never dropped one. Not saying yours will, but imho your taking up rib and chicken space.

If you think this suggestion is BS- that's ok too. Lots of ways to getting to a destination.

I'll take any advice!

I hung out that way as it was too close to the coals. I'll rehang it after it shrinks up a bit,
Any advice I'll take! ;-)

I just hung it like that as it was too close to the coals to hang on the first hook. When it shrinks up a bit I'll hang out back on the first hook. :)

Back