Patio Smokers: Lang 48 vs Shirley 24x50

I think it safe to say that no one here wants you to feel slighted,Lang is a great smoker!!

If your happy were all happy!

Smoke on brother!!!

I didn't mean to post anything false guys.

I am retired and could only swing about $1800, plus freight. So that left me with Lang's smallest 36 patio model. I went upsized to a 36 Hybrid and added front wheels and stainless steel grates. I thought that was a great deal and was in tall cotton.

I didn't see the same exact set up char-griller/smoker at Shirley's site, unless I went with a trailer model. I must have missed a comparable.

I'll take my cheap grill and move onward. Ya'll have a great evening.

I didn't mean to post anything false guys.

I am retired and could only swing about $1800, plus freight. So that left me with Lang's smallest 36 patio model. I went upsized to a 36 Hybrid and added front wheels and stainless steel grates. I thought that was a great deal and was in tall cotton.

I didn't see the same exact set up char-griller/smoker at Shirley's site, unless I went with a trailer model. I must have missed a comparable.

I'll take my cheap grill and move onward. Ya'll have a great evening.

Langs are great smokers and it will last a life time too and you have a fine built unit sir but the problem with the Shirley is there website is real out dated and they are just trying to get smokers done because they are so backed up . there is so many options that they do not list and it took me 6 months to figure out what I even wanted , if you wanted a chargrill like Lang , Shirley would of built for you and cheaper . I just wish they had a better website but it might hurt me on the wait on my next build too , smoke on brother .:wink:

Agree with that 100%. Their site is not any help at all. But it's probably good for all us brethren.. Shirley Fab is still kind of a secret.. If his site was better, the wait would be a lot longer than it already is!

But seriously, if anyone wants more info or to see more cooker Paul and Tyler have made, check out their FB page. They keep that up to date. If you want a quote, give em a call. They are the nicest guys you'll ever meet.

Can't wait to see your new rig, bbqfreak! Sorry if I helped you spend more money ;-)

Been a long time fan and owner of a few Langs. Each one was filled to capacity for charity cooks and never gave me a lick of problem.... and kept one hot for several days (OBR/Hershey and OBR/Hurricane Sandy).

Filled a Lang 48 with 12 butts... no problem.
Filled a Lang 60 with 24 butts... no problem.
Filled a Lang 84 with over 300 lbs butts... no problem.

Have yet to see a defective Lang.

Langs are great smokers and it will last a life time too and you have a fine built unit sir but the problem with the Shirley is there website is real out dated and they are just trying to get smokers done because they are so backed up . there is so many options that they do not list and it took me 6 months to figure out what I even wanted , if you wanted a chargrill like Lang , Shirley would of built for you and cheaper . I just wish they had a better website but it might hurt me on the wait on my next build too , smoke on brother .:wink:

I appreciate the insight. I found that many of the pit maker's websites could use some work. Many are back logged with orders. But I kept telling myself that they are fabricators not webmasters. Only when digging into Lang's own forums, did I realize there were somewhat confusing options available.

Prior to my Lang order, I was also looking at an off set smoker from Lone Star Grillz and after all was said and done, they stated that it would take 4 months. I just couldn't wait and kept looking.

Lone Star Grillz offered a 5% discount to all Veterans, which is why I looked them up.

I drafted and administered contracts for state and federal governments for over 35 years. Buying a smoker was still a challenge. This site does help very much in making those decisions/investments.

I probably should wait a year before I roll another smoker/pit into the back yard. My wife would spot it instantly, when covered with a new tarp.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Been a long time fan and owner of a few Langs. Each one was filled to capacity for charity cooks and never gave me a lick of problem.... and kept one hot for several days (OBR/Hershey and OBR/Hurricane Sandy).

Filled a Lang 48 with 12 butts... no problem.
Filled a Lang 60 with 24 butts... no problem.
Filled a Lang 84 with over 300 lbs butts... no problem.

Have yet to see a defective Lang.

Thanks for the assist and info BBQ Bandit. It's good to know that I made a decent choice, out of the many great choices available. It is mind boggling seeing everyone's smokers/pits here.

I now realize that I need to expand my inventory. Heck it's cheaper than trading in my truck...I keep saying to myself, before I break the news to my wife.

I do pretty good on off set smokers. Buying a reverse smoker is new to me and many of my fellow Texan neighbors who were skeptical...but not any more!

FYI- Lang is now drilling holes in their smokers, and come sealed with an end cap, so that you can run your temp probes.

Thanks for taking time to respond!

This does pose a problem:

When cooking wings in a Shirley, do I only cook the left wings?

And then the conundrum of dealing with the right wings-- or is that Trumped by a different set of values?

either wings CAN be good.....but both are usually equally bad

I have a 30x88 cabinet smoker on order as we speak. Im super excited to get it. Suppose to have it in December. Merry Christmas to me!

I have a Lang 60D and am happy with it. But that being said I have a Shirley on order now.
I've cooked side by side with my Lang and a Shirley. They are both great smokers, but the Shirley is in my opinion a better quality smoker. I like the set up Paul has, and if you were able to see them side by side you'd go with Shirley.

I'll be keeping my Lang because the Shirley I have ordered is much bigger and I do some smaller cooks. So having the cooker to fit the cook is a good choice for me.

Good luck with which ever you choose. Like I said they're both good quality smokers.

Sorry for asking this question then going MIA.... life's distractions what can I say.

I keep reading more and more. I really think the Shirley is the way to go for me between the two now unless I can find a used one of either which has been a struggle ultimately.

But now some folks pointed me to these posts about traditional offsets vs RF. Damn... so many options. Start getting into analysis paralysis around these things when they are so dang varied.

Back