Pastrami, pork butt, and STL spares

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
I need to do some meal prep for the week and figured I'd let the Primo XL do the cooking for me today while I take care of some other things around the house, such as getting my Shirley hot so I can clean off the outside. And since I'm getting the Shirley hot, I might as well do a short cook of some ribs on it.

I injected the Smithfield Prime Reserve pork butt with the "Chris Lilly" style injection last night and broke down the ribs this morning. I bought a "corned beef flat" from Sam's a couple weeks back that I wanted to make pastrami with, so I figured I'd throw it next to the pork butt since I'll have all that extra unused room on the Primo.

I always hate to waste the rib tips I trim off for St Louis style cut, but I don't care to fish out all the cartilage when I eat them. I started poking around at these and the cartilage inside looked easy enough to trim out in one piece, so I gave it a whirl. Was I was left with was some nicely marbled boneless pork that I seasoned up and will throw it on along with the ribs. I figure I can dice it and use it for beans at a later date. Much less waste this way, probably < 1lb out of the 9.5lb package.

Attachments

• pb1.jpg
    pb1.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 169
  • ribs1.jpg
    ribs1.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 168
  • ribs2.jpg
    ribs2.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 167
  • ribs3.jpg
    ribs3.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 165
  • ribs4.jpg
    ribs4.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 166
  • ribs5.jpg
    ribs5.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 165
  • ribs6.jpg
    ribs6.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 167
My Sam's stopped carrying the Grobel's (sp?) brand about a month ago and switched to the Member Mark brand. Which did you get? Are you planning on a soak-out on the corned beef?

My Sam's stopped carrying the Grobel's (sp?) brand about a month ago and switched to the Member Mark brand. Which did you get? Are you planning on a soak-out on the corned beef?

Yes, Member's Mark here too. The meat had a pretty decent amount of marbling for a flat, so we'll see what happens. I may try to pick up a 10 or 11lb packer from Costco and corn my own beef in a few weeks. And yes, I did soak it, been in for about 12 hours now with 1 water change.

Attachments

• pastrami1.jpg
    pastrami1.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 155
Yes, Member's Mark here too. The meat had a pretty decent amount of marbling for a flat, so we'll see what happens. I may try to pick up a 10 or 11lb packer from Costco and corn my own beef in a few weeks. And yes, I did soak it, been in for about 12 hours now with 1 water change.

That should be plenty of soak time. Please report back with a review of the Members Mark product. It wouldn't surprise me if they purchase from an established producer and just re-packaged them anyway.

Other than the good quality the Groble's brand had, the flats were straight cut on the front end, so they always had a strip of point meat on them. I do a pressure finish on my pastrami and will get plenty of broth, which is excellent for dipping or when making soup.

Off to a great start. I'm a huge fan of the Lilly injection myself. I've sort of made a hybrid with his and the Harry Soo injection. Works great! Looking forward to seeing the end product!

The pork butt and pastrami are in the Flame Boss and Primo's hands now.

Rockwood charcoal and a mix of hickory and cherry chips providing the heat and flavor. Oakridge BBQ Secret Weapon on the pork and the pastrami rub recipe from Amazingribs.com on the beef.

Attachments

• primo1.jpg
    primo1.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 127
Nice job suds. Those ribs from Sams look nice. I might have to make a trip To KC to pick up a couple packs.
My sams still only carries BB’s

:pop2: :pop2:

So much goodness before... and so much more to come.

Keep rockin' up there in KC!

My mom wanted a slab of ribs, since I was firing up the smoker after all, and so did my brother. Made a quick run to Sam's for some more chicken wings and picked up a nice looking pack of Smithfield Prime Reserve spares. Hit those with EAT Barbecue Zero to Hero and my two IBP slabs with Oakridge Dominator Sweet Rib Rub.

Attachments

• primoxl.jpg
    primoxl.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 94
  • pastrami1.jpg
    pastrami1.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 93
  • pork.jpg
    pork.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 92
  • ribs.jpg
    ribs.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 93
  • oakridgerub.jpg
    oakridgerub.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 93
  • ribs2.jpg
    ribs2.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 93
  • ribspr2.jpg
    ribspr2.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 93
  • ribspr1.jpg
    ribspr1.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 93
  • shirley2.jpg
    shirley2.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 93
  • shirley.jpg
    shirley.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 93
Whew, everything is in...those rib tips came out greeeaaat. I'll be de-boning them more often, I think they'd make great tacos. These are destined for baked beans (anybody got a good recipe) but lots of flavor and super tender.

I'm going to refrigerate the pastrami overnight and try cutting by knife...if that doesn't work, I'll run to the storage unit and grab the meat slicer.

Attachments

• pastrami2.jpg
    pastrami2.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 39
  • ribtips3.jpg
    ribtips3.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 39
  • ribtips2.jpg
    ribtips2.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 39
  • ribtips1.jpg
    ribtips1.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 39
  • ribs4.jpg
    ribs4.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 39
  • ribs3.jpg
    ribs3.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 39
  • pork2.jpg
    pork2.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 39
Another solid looking cook. I don't see how Sams on the weekend is quick, at all. I feel like I spend 45 minutes walking between having to park next door, and then how large the store it.

Trying to get back on the low carb train, and my highest potential for success exists when there is a plentiful amount of meat at my disposal to help mitigate cravings while I transition into keto. :thumb:

That's for sure. We have been going Keto for a few weeks now (sans a cheat day here and there..) and the only way I can keep her going with it-is to load up the house with keto kibble before I head out for a week. The meal prep is essential for us.

Back