Pastrami & Chicken - WSM!

blazinfire

Babbling Farker
Hey everyone! Hope everyone is having a good Wednesday! Picked up a corned beef flat last night. Soaked it for 6 hours then rubbed it down with Oak Ridge BBQ Black Ops!
IMG_1054_zpseswh7ecc.jpg

Here it is wrapped at 165 degrees internal temp!
IMG_1055_zpsukgbl2mu.jpg

Oops, I realized I should run to the store and pick up something else to put on the smoker! Picked up a few packs of our local stores BBQ Chicken. Not sure what kind of rub they use but Its pretty good. Its BBQ something! These chicken leg quarters 2-3 bucks for 2-3 quarters already seasoned!
IMG_1056_zps3pqmwcln.jpg

Here's the corned beef probed tender! I let it rest open for 15 mins then wrapped back in foil!

IMG_1057_zpsthbybmmi.jpg

Here's slices of the pastrami! It's a little more salty than the last one. Didn't expect this. should of just soaked it over night! Its pretty darn good tho!

IMG_1059_zpsggovozwd.jpg

here's the chicken. Looking pretty good!

IMG_1060_zps63nsp6qh.jpg

IMG_1062_zpsm7njcuc4.jpg

Gonna have a feast! thanks for looking!

Try changing the water every two hours when you soak. Also check to see if Black-ops has salt in it, I believe so as it is the first ingredient in the list. Usually the ingredients ar listed in order of volume/weight so there is more salt than any other ingredient.

Try using fresh cracked pepper and fresh ground coriander for the rub.

Both the chicken and the pastrami look awesome.

Great looking grub. The corned beefs all seem to be a bit different when it comes to salt content. I have soaked out some that I wished I hadn't soaked at all and others that were still too salty. Only way to "cure" that is to cure your own.

Try changing the water every two hours when you soak. Also check to see if Black-ops has salt in it, I believe so. Try using fresh cracked pepper and fresh ground coriander for the rub.

Black Ops has very little salt in it (in my opinion) so unless you added salt, that is probably not the problem.

Try changing the water every two hours when you soak. Also check to see if Black-ops has salt in it, I believe so.

Black Ops has very little salt in it (in my opinion) so unless you added salt, that is probably not the problem.

it is the first ingredient in the list. Usually the ingredients ar listed in order of volume/weight.

Try changing the water every two hours when you soak. Also check to see if Black-ops has salt in it, I believe so as it is the first ingredient in the list. Usually the ingredients ar listed in order of volume/weight so there is more salt than any other ingredient.

Hey, I soaked for 6 hours changing ever two hours. Just using that as what I learned to do the first time I fixed pastrami. I'm pretty sure its just the meat. Its not bad at all, Was just stating it was a little saltier than the first one.

Over all It was a fantastic meal thanks everyone! I've learned something today tho, When cooking thigh's and other chicken I always take it to 165. Thigh's are much better at 180+ IMO

I have to try one of those, looks damn good:thumb:

How much salt is in Black Ops? (I've never tried it) You could make a Rub without or little salt. I've read a few threads on soaking and some go 24 to 48hrs changing the water every 12hrs.

blazin you need to get you a lid hinge for that bad boy, you won't regret it.

I have to try one of those, looks damn good:thumb:

How much salt is in Black Ops? (I've never tried it) You could make a Rub without or little salt. I've read a few threads on soaking and some go 24 to 48hrs changing the water every 12hrs.

blazin you need to get you a lid hinge for that bad boy, you won't regret it.

I'm sure the lid hinge is nice but I don't need it right now. Maybe some day.

Have no idea how much salt is in black ops. Like madman said its top ingredient but oak ridge is known for low salt content in their rubs right? Not sure if that's all rubs or not.

I like it tho. I think its time to buy a brisket and do the whole process myself.

Goodmorning! So decided to share the picture of my brunch! Made my own kind of Reuben sandwich with pastrami, swiss cheese, sauerkraut, and my home made hot pepper mustard.

Here's a shot warming the ingredients in the "restored" cast iron skillets! Man these pans are NICE now that they are seasoned and restored to what they use to be.
IMG_1065_zpsdmncsa3b.jpg

Final product! Had a craving for twisty/curly fries with my sandwich!

IMG_1066_zpshayg2xmr.jpg

Fantastic looking cooks, brother! Both of them! Can almost taste that pastrami. Glad your enjoying those skillets! :clap2:

It all looks great but I love the looks of your sandwich. Yum!!

Fantastic looking cooks, brother! Both of them! Can almost taste that pastrami. Glad your enjoying those skillets! :clap2:
The best thing about it My grandma Loves her "GOOD" Cast iron skillet again! Loves it so much she doesn't wanna cook in it HAHAHAHA! I told her the other day "I fixed those so you can cook in them the right way" lol

Looks great Blaze. Love the color of the chicken...

Thanks man. I cook a lot of chicken, put a lot of practice on my chicken since its the wife's favorite meat. It's still awesome how I can go toe to toe with cooks here on this site! Not in a competition stand point but as far as sharing my food with people who clearly has much more experience with smoking than I do. Although I do have many of years worth of cooking experience outside of smoking/grilling!

Back