THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R2Egg2Q

is One Chatty Farker
My wife has been asking me to cook paella for a while. I'd been putting it off as it really takes a lot of time to gather all the ingredients and prep for the cook. Today we decided it was time to break in our larger paella pan which is 18" in diameter.

Here's the pan and the prepped ingredients:
IMG_9351.jpg

Basically we referenced two paella recipes for this cook: one from La Paella and the other from the Naked Whiz site. The Naked Whiz site has Egg specific cooking instructions that were helpful. I couldn't find Spanish chorizo so I substituted portuguese linguica.

I got the Egg fired up and the shiny new pan on:
IMG_9360.jpg

Browned the chicken a little in some EVOO:
IMG_9361.jpg

Removed the chicken, and sauteed the red bell pepper, green beans, garlic, and artichoke hearts (not shown in this pic - still on the pan at the time):
IMG_9364.jpg

Reduced the red onions, tomato puree, and spanish paprika for "sofrito":
IMG_9367.jpg

Then put all the ingredients together at 350 degrees and tossed in a couple hickory chunks for a little smoke:
IMG_9375.jpg

Almost there (the bomba rice had soaked up all the chicken broth):
IMG_9377.jpg

Lifted the edge to see if it was starting to stick a little and for signs of soccarat forming:
IMG_9384.jpg

Off the Egg and resting:
IMG_9392.jpg

IMG_9390.jpg

Then it was time to eat:
IMG_9395.jpg

It was my best paella yet but then again, I've only cooked this three times now so what do I know? Well, I know it was tasty!

Thanks for looking.

That looks fantastic! How was the soccarat?

Good question Ron. I'm no expert on paella so I can't really say for sure if I got good soccarat or not. One of these days I will take a trip over to the North Bay area and track down Gerard (the paella cook who beat Bobby Flay in a Throwdown) and taste his to get an idea of what to shoot for.

The soccarat came off the pan mostly in a light carmelized brown to a small patch of medium brown (see lower right in pic below - apparently a slightly hotter spot in the lump). I forgot to take pics last night of the small sheets of soccarat that came off the pan as I was scooping out the paella. Here's one I took of the leftovers this AM and you can see some soccarat:
IMG_9401.jpg

Any input on the soccarat from those experienced in making or eating paella is welcome!

That looks absolutely beautiful. Thanks for a wonderful post. That has been on my To-Do list for over a year. You didn't mention the saffron.

Good point Gore. We lightly toasted the saffron in an empty skillet and then crumbled it into the simmering chicken broth.

I didn't talk too much about the prep work. My wife helped and quickly said "we need to simply this". :heh:

That is awesome, I really would love to try making it one of these days.

Just buy the ingredients and invite Greenleaf BBQ and his fiancee over and it'll be the easiest paella you ever "made"! :becky:

Back