"OverSmoked"?

Whenever my father in law stops over while I'm cooking he will always ask "is it even on? Where's all the smoke? I thought you were smoking today!"

Literally the same conversation every. Single. Time.:frusty:

Whenever my father in law stops over while I'm cooking he will always ask "is it even on? Where's all the smoke? I thought you were smoking today!"

Literally the same conversation every. Single. Time.:frusty:

Does he eat your food and go back for seconds? Conversely, when he makes BBQ (assuming he does), do people eat his food and do they go back for seconds? Or is he a rib boiling liquid smoke type of person?

My 1st cook on my new offset was way to smokey , I blame that on poor fire management aided by beer consumption :oops:

• Thanks
Reactions: EdF
I'll bite. I personally never used a stick burner, but from what ive gathered is you run them with lots of air flow. With wood chunks using charcoal you have less air flow to maintain temps so you get a more pronounced flavor using less wood. Not to mention if you put the chunks too close together your getting too much smoke too fast regardless if its clean burning or not, that smoke flavor is going to be strong.

I use about 3 chunks total for a brisket i cut the chunks to about 3x3 each. I get about 1 hour of tbs each chunk. I use the snake method and space the chunks to where as one is no longer producing smoke, the next chunk is starting. I have perfect mild smoke flavor and a nice smoke ring due to charcoal producing nitrogen oxide and converting to nitric oxide on the meat surface.

between 2 , maybe 3 hours of smoke.
100_7069.jpg

Exactly........low airflow smothering the burn on charcoal = Dirty Smoke. Running with more airflow - thus Hotter- you could run more chunks and not get "OverSmoke".......

Last edited:
You can get a smoke ring without wood - just charcoal. You can even get a smoke ring without wood or charcoal or a fire.......

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_the_smoke_ring.html

Yeah exactly. Charcoal produces the gas that causes the chemical reaction that creates the ring. So does wood, among others. Charcoal actually produces the most out of the fuels. I think the reason people don't get a ring using charcoal is they start off too hot and dont allow enough of the gases to pentrate into the meat before the meat reaches a temp where it no longer reacts. You could also dump charcoal in every 20 minutes thats already been burning for a good enough time where the gas has already burned up. That would be about the "cleanest" charcoal heat source, but no smoke ring thats for sure.

I would say that I used alot of Mesquuite ONCE on a chicken and won't do THAT again!
Mesquite is OUT of the rotation. Plus probably had a dirty fire.
Burped up smoke all night! On a kettle.

I think it is possible to oversmoke poultry, but not beef or pork. Bad smoke is the common problem that causes most of the over smoked comments.

I think it is possible to oversmoke poultry, but not beef or pork. Bad smoke is the common problem that causes most of the over smoked comments.

I agree bad smoke is rancid and taste horrible, but i do not agree that there is no such thing as over smoking with good smoke. Even getting that perfect thin blue smoke you can over smoke by using a bold flavor wood like mesquite and hickory. I think this topic is pointless because you can't truly measure in time, but rather in the amount of smoke in that time.

I have never had beef that was over smoked by good smoke. 14+ hours of clean burning mesquite is not a problem. 20 minutes of smoldering creasote depositing fire with any wood can ruin the meal.

Along with other things already mentioned,I find regional preference play's a part in this debate. Is it any surprise that people from an area where strong tasting wood is non-existant would find Mesquite over powering? When I was growing up green Hickory was the majoritie's choice. In those days 90% of people chewed,dipped or smoked which deaden's sense of taste and smell. Same is true when one was raised where wild fresh water trout is plentiful. Catfish and flounder often make them sick. I suppose I'm like a hound dog,some is different but I like it all.

Back