Organizer Feedback

Incomes are also generally higher on both coasts then in the midwest too - correct?

Can't say for elsewhere, but here's some census numbers for my state compared to Iowa, from the Washington Post in 2006:

Median Houshold Income
National = $41,994
Georgia = $49,136
Iowa = $47,292

I don't think it's a question of income level as much as it is the cost to produce an event and supply vs demand.

not sure if i've ever seen a contest for under $200.

The problem is that Iowa already has a lot of really good comps where plenty of the top teams compete. If you want to bust into that schedule I find it hard to believe that you would charge more than other comps! Go to Marshalltown and many of the top 10 TOYs are there and the comp is $100 less than the brand new comp in Iowa. Now, maybe the logic is "no good teams will be there so I gotta get a call this time" :)

Hey - that just may be worth the extra c note!

The problem is that Iowa already has a lot of really good comps where plenty of the top teams compete. If you want to bust into that schedule I find it hard to believe that you would charge more than other comps! Go to Marshalltown and many of the top 10 TOYs are there and the comp is $100 less than the brand new comp in Iowa. Now, maybe the logic is "no good teams will be there so I gotta get a call this time" :)

Hey - that just may be worth the extra c note!
Yeah, and they expect 48 teams. Maybe someone can chime in here, but the entry form already states the payouts. Aren't they bound to that if it is published?

Monty, you are right. Besides Marshalltown the BBQlossal and Mason City bring in over 50 teams as well. Last year there were two first year contest in Iowa. Both had less than 30 teams with entry fees $100 lower and the same payout as this one for Grand and Reserve.

The midwest may have lots of comps, but down here in Oklahoma, not so much. The event I'm starting the planning for should have a fee/prize structure that will be attractive. Between entry fees and sponsor money I am looking to pay to 10th in all 4 categories and overall.

I'm contemplating a Backyard-type contest requiring advance registration where the fee is between $150-$175. Each entrant would get a Weber One-Touch Kettle, Grilling Utensils and a Kiddie Home Fire Extinguisher to keep after the competition. They'd also be given a bag of charcoal, a prep table and 2 chickens, either whole, or quartered. 3 hours to turn in anything they want as long as they used the grill, charcoal and chicken we gave them. Prizes - 1st $300, 2nd $200, 3rd $150, 4th $100, 5th $75. maybe more, maybe less depending on the number of entries. Just thinkin' out loud...

Back