Oregon Oak for smoking?

dustydust

Found some matches.
Hi all, I'm curious if anybody has any experience with the oak found in the northwest, west of the mountains. I'm in Washington state and have a friend with a few oak trees. He said I can take all the fallen branches I want.

I've never smoked with oak before, but my buddy swears by it for his brisket. He uses the oak Traeger pellets. I like to keep it traditional with locally sourced wood, so I'm gonna give our local oak a shot, unless of course, you all say it's not very good.

Here are the names Wikipedia has for this oak grown in Washington: Quercus garryana, the Garry oak, Oregon white oak, Oregon oak, or Hu'dshnam.

I don't know anything about the oak up there but oak is used all the time. I use red oak on my santa maria and offset.

It says that species of wood is similar to other white oaks so you should be good to go. It's a hardwood so you'll need to season it for probably a year or more, but free wood is good wood.

• Thanks
Reactions: EdF
I've had tri tip cooked santa maria style over white oak as well as the preferred, traditional red oak. I couldn't tell the difference. Smoking with it, I couldn't say for sure but I would bet that just like red or post or any other oak I know of it will burn very hot and very clean. Very mild smoke, maybe none if it's too dry

Back