Opinions on choosing a new grill

I have experience with the SMOKE HOLLOW combo.

Christmas 2010 - Wife and I were walking through Academy Sports, noticed the combo grill. I was like "wow, sear burner, gasser, chargrill, and offset firebox - and on sale for $299!" --- Done. My wife said "Merry Christmas".

I cooked on it pretty regularly for the next 10 months. By October 2011, I was SO SICK of that grill I could puke. Parts falling off of it, firebox would NOT hold temp, sear burner is only big enough for ONE steak at a time (really? ONE steak at a time? -geesh)
Long story short....I drove to The Jack Daniels BBQ Invitational, met Ben Lang, and he made me a killer deal on a Lang 100 trailer (60 deluxe + 40" chargrill). Wrote him a check.....and you oughta see my BBQ NOW BABY! ;)

If you want a stick burner, and you are on a budget, get a Lang Patio model (even if you have to save up a few more months, you'll be thanking me).
If you want a charcoal unit....grab one of the webers all the others have been speaking of.
Stay away from "Jack and Jill" crap at the local department stores. I learned my lesson, the hard way. Save up......and get a killer grill. ;)

I don't know about the gas but my experience with Weber has been all positive. I have a WSM cooker and a gold kettle. The kettle is easy to clean up and is well-built. The only thing I didn't like about it was the built in hook for the holding the lid. I added the slide aside for about $30 and it works great.

I have a Holland Grill and am satisfied with it. It pretty much stays in the 350-400 degree range. Very hard to burn anything on it. All aluminum and stainless so it will not rot out.

I have the Chargriller duo 50/50 and for the price it is a very good grill. The gas side is hot but can be controlled down for lower temp cooking, the charcoal side has an adjustable fire level pan which is also very nice, and you could add a side fire box for smoking if/when you want to. Having said all the good things, it is what you pay for. After 3 years on the atlantic coast and our salt air it began to rust even though it has been covered since the day I brought it home. High temp paint and some sand paper has taken care of the problem and it has become a weekend project each winter to touch up the grill. Again, for around $300 on sale at Lowes it is a good started grill to let you decide what you want and what works for you.
Hope this helps
Lola

As a lot of people have stated Weber makes a great product(I have had a gasser for about 6 years now and it is like new still) but it looks like to me like you have narrowed it down to these 2 and in my opinion the charbroil one is a nice unit but the other brand looks like it is a little better quality.

Here is the only Charcoal & Gas combo you need consider

image_11749.jpg

2011-06-21203829.jpg

Oh there's more where that came from!!! :becky:

I just wanted to make sure the msg came through LOUD & CLEAR! :heh:

+1 on the Weber Performer. Had a weber genesis for 8 years and love that grill. Bought a Performer from CL's then Genesis was gone in 3 weeks. Best grill I've ever owned. The gas start is an amazing feature for me.

Bought a stainless steel gas grill from costco about 5 years ago and have been in love with it ever since. They don't stock the same model anymore and the price has almost doubled but this one is like what I have. Lots of reviews out there on the old version. I really like mine. The model I have also has the side burner on it. Its parked next to the charbroil smoker until I get the new smoker done.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc...1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC28055-Cat115&topnav=

The T3 BBQ Offset smoker build

Back