THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hominamad

Knows what a fatty is.
Thought this could be a good place to throw this question out...

A local supermarket chain (with a real butcher shop) was running a special - 13.99 /lb for prime grade rib roast or rib steaks. Today is Sat - I bought a gorgeous 4-bone roast, but plan on cooking it on Friday. Do you think it will be good staying in the refrigerator for 5-6 days? I had assumed yes, but as I was leaving I wanted to confirm with the butcher, and said no no - 3 days max. Now I'm worried that the meat will spoil in this time.

Should I unwrap it and leave it open in the fridge for the last 3 days? Or is it better to just leave it as is? The butcher suggested freezing it, but I feel that will change the texture of the meat, and it seems crazy to freeze it for 2-3 days, and then let it defrost for another 2-3 days.

What should I do??

Thanks!
H

It really depends upon the processing date, which only the butcher would know from the packaging.

If he's selling it off at a discount because the sell by date is close, I would heed his recommendations.

Sounds like your plan of freezing and a slow thaw is probably your best bet.

Thanks - I don't think they were selling them at discount because it was close to the sell by date - it was just a holiday special. They had tons of them going out the door. I could see them opening the cryovacs and prepping them. Do you think that freezing and thawing will ruin the meat texture?

If you don't want to freeze it, just stick it in the coldest corner of your fridge. If you are really worried, dial your fridge temp down to it's lowest setting. BTW, I freeze meat all the time and have never tasted a difference, presuming you defrost it slowly.

Unwrab it and put a on a wire rack over a sheet pan. It will be even better if you let it do a short dry age by leaving in the fridge. Nothing wrong with freezing and than thawing it back out either but like you already said it's going to be just about frozen when you take it out to thaw.

I agree with Norm. All beef benefits from a few days drying in the fridge, especially store beef. I would wrap it in cheese cloth though, to keep it from drying too much. Just be sure and trim any of hard bits off before cooking.

It's not going to go bad.

Two options:

1) As above...bottom shelf, at the back, on a rack. Trim off any hard bits that form before cooking.

2) If you're really worried about it, see if your four bones will fit inside a gallon ziplock freezer bag. Then put it in a deep pan or a pot and cover with ice. Keep it iced. Don't remove the ice water unless you're in fear of it running over. The ice bath will keep it in fine shape.

But in all seriousness...it would hang out in the open air just fine.

Thanks everyone. But I should definitely unwrap it either way, as opposed to just letting it sit in the original packaging? (butcher paper and plastic wrap)

Like to brine/season with Q-Salt 24hrs before the cook, left open in the fridge during that time frame.

oB2CI3Y.jpg

GinbObc.jpg

Brining one tomorrow. :wink:

Back