Operation BBQ BBQ Basic Class Review

Sharkyj

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Sam
Recently attended a BBQ basics class taught by the Operation BBQ Relief organization. This class is an outreach to first responders or military personnel and it consists of a 2 day event. The class consisted of 23 people with 5 teams of 4 and our team which consisted of 3 people. In this class Operation BBQ suppiies everything for the class all you have to bring is an empty stomach. On the first day we had a meet and greet in the morning followed by and introductory class in using the supplied equipment. We used Pit Boss pellet grills and Sweet Swine O Mine Red Box smokers, alone with a digital thermometer and a full assortment of tools to prepare the food we were going to cook. First up was how to properly prepare and cook St. Louis ribs , followed up with how to select Ribeye Steaks , and how to cook them on a set of grill grates on the Pit Boss. The day ended with us preparing to compete on the next day by prepping, cooking and turning in for judging ST. Louis ribs and Ribeye steak to the KCBS trained judges. Day 2 consisted of cooking the food and competing against the other teams in ribs and steak. Our team finished 3 overall with 3rd in steaks and 3rd in ribs, so no a bad day. Overall the class was an awesome experience and would highly recommend attending as it is a great organization, and it a great cause. One thing I forgot to mention was this event was held the same day as the annual 9/11 stair climb event here in Kingsport TN, and Operation BBQ came out and provided meals for all of the participants. So check out Operation BBQ / Always Serving Project on facebook. I would highly recommend attending this class if you ever have the opportunity.

Back