One more please...

The chicken is too small to really see... but it looks good, probably an 8
Ribs look a bit fatty to me, but good overall, 7
Pork... put a LOT more in the box... 7
Brisket... Lose the parsley on top; it detracts and hides the meat. A judge may thing you're covering something up. Put more in the box; same with anything else, you can have more than 6 servings, especially if 6 makes the box look too empty. - I also can't tell from the pic if it looks dry or not, probably a 7-8.

scores

chicken 9
ribs9
pork 7- need more meet
brisket 6/7 looks disorganized with the parsley on top of the brisket.

I think we're all in line with the scores...

Brisket - 7
The slices aren't placed in the box evenly, the garnish is uneven around the box and the parsley looks like an afterthought. The meat looks dry, but that may just be the picture.

Pork - 7
I agree that you need more meat. The bark pieces look nice and it looks like you tried to arrange them, but not quite. The garnish is uneven around the box.

Ribs - 8
The garnish is a bit uneven and there are bits of loose leat on the rib in the lower right hand corner. Otherwise they look good.

Chicken - 8
A larger picture would help, but in general they look good. Some of the pieces are slightly different sizes and shapes but not too bad.

Thanks to all...

Well here is what we got.

Ck-7,8,7,8,8,8
Rb-8,8,8,7,7,8
Pk-8,8,7,7,7,8
Bk-6,6,5,6,8,7

Felt we got hosed on the brisket scores, the rest seemed in line. Always telling my sister and mom what more could be done to make this look perfect, on thoses boxes I was scratching my head I though they all looked pretty good! Scoring is 15% of the total so I just don't worry about it as much as I should. My sis and mom are the ones who do the presentation. I pick how much to put in a box. After hearing the comments, I guess I will up the amount of pork, I am the kind of judge that does not like to see a bunch of meat in a container. There are 6 judges, why have more? I always take a box of extra to the turn in for table captians and vol., so I have never gotten the reason to add more. Maybe they use huge boxes where you guys compete, but I find it hard enough to get six ribs in the box, and chicken, it's a Beatch just to get the 6 in!

Mista - on your slices, are those stains from the injection or just dark spots from lighting/exposure issues? They seemed a little pronounced, and I thought it might be the contrast in the digital imaging software.

It's some of both. I'm going to adjust my injection for the next comp. I like the flavor but the worchestershire is just too dark.

Scoring is only a small portion of the score but its the first scoring done on your turn in. Judges shouldn't let their taste and tenderness scores be effected but I bet that once they score you low on presentation they have a preconcieved notion that taste and tenderness won't be as good. Maybe I'm just crazy.

Scoring is only a small portion of the score but its the first scoring done on your turn in. Judges shouldn't let their taste and tenderness scores be effected but I bet that once they score you low on presentation they have a preconcieved notion that taste and tenderness won't be as good. Maybe I'm just crazy.

My sister says almost the exact same thing! Great minds think alike I guess...

Back