One day cooks now "Jack" qualifiers...

Canada doesnt need a seperate set of rules. Maybe have the country be like an american state as far as the draw goes. The weird part is this isnt a region that needs more qualifiers. We have 5 events all in the lower mainland of Vancouver BC that are +25 team qualifiers and a lot more just overthe border in washington. This one was 12 or 13 teams but is an equal draw. Lots of the teams are a mix of bith countries that travel between oregon, washington, and BC. Some alberta, montana, idaho teams as well.

Me either...it's not like they're a foreign country or something...:twitch:
I have been a long time advocate of offering Canada the chance to join the USA, or we invade them. Either way, until then...

Make them compete with the same rules as everyone else does.

The more you get to know about rules for qualfying for the jack the more confusing it all gets, but as everyone always says 'the jack is the jack and it's their party their rules.

blame-canada.jpg

Just kidding!

As has been mentioned, it's the Jack's rules. Maybe some well written e-mails to them would get noticed, but they can do what they want.

Not even sure how the rules work if a Canadian team wins in the US. Lots of good teams in the northeast ("Can't Stop Grilling", "DivaQ") cook over the border on a regular basis and are capable of winning a real US qualifier. DivaQ is now cooking all over the US with Danielle's new show. She is particularly dangerous in the NEBS style grilling contests. If those happen to have pork, chicken, and beef they could count.

What happens when a Canadian team wins a US qualifier? Are they in the US draw or still an international team? If it doesn't qualify them for the US draw, does it count as an international win?

When French speaking Quebec secedes from Canada, the US will annex the remaining 9 provinces as states 51-59 anyway, solving the problem. :becky:

Not even sure how the rules work if a Canadian team wins in the US. Lots of good teams in the northeast ("Can't Stop Grilling", "DivaQ") cook over the border on a regular basis and are capable of winning a real US qualifier. DivaQ is now cooking all over the US with Danielle's new show. She is particularly dangerous in the NEBS style grilling contests. If those happen to have pork, chicken, and beef they could count.

What happens when a Canadian team wins a US qualifier? Are they in the US draw or still an international team? If it doesn't qualify them for the US draw, does it count as an international win?

When French speaking Quebec secedes from Canada, the US will annex the remaining 9 provinces as states 51-59 anyway, solving the problem. :becky:
Well if it's the same as it is for U.K. teams, we have been informed that if we were to win a U.S. qualifier it would give us a bung in the U.K. draw and the next placed U.S. team would get the U.S. jack draw.

The sanctioning body is complicit in this also. Without a recognized sanctioning body giving their approval for this type of contest there would not be any issue with the JD rules.

The last time we collectively came down to the US, the Canadians had a BBQ at the Whitehouse, it got a little out of hand and it seems that we have never been invited back.

To answer the question if an American wins a Jack qualified event in Canada, they will get a bung in their home state. If a Canadian wins a GC in the US they get a bung for the Canadian Draw.

We are limited to 3 draw tickets for all of Canada.

I have been a long time advocate of offering Canada the chance to join the USA, or we invade them. Either way, until then...

Make them compete with the same rules as everyone else does.

Like I said before I think we don't need special rules up here but as for invading. You guys already tried....didn't work. Then we marched down and burned down the white house.:boxing:

The last time we collectively came down to the US, the Canadians had a BBQ at the Whitehouse, it got a little out of hand and it seems that we have never been invited back.

To answer the question if an American wins a Jack qualified event in Canada, they will get a bung in their home state. If a Canadian wins a GC in the US they get a bung for the Canadian Draw.

We are limited to 3 draw tickets for all of Canada.

whoops I didn't realize I copied your retort.

The sanctioning body is complicit in this also. Without a recognized sanctioning body giving their approval for this type of contest there would not be any issue with the JD rules.

Actually the Pnwba sanctioned these contests as one day light cooks. More to get the ball rolling with a venue to get them to a two day cook next year. These contests are also looked at at attracting new cooks who are not ready for the full two day event. Typically these contests are tri-tip (beef), sausage, pork ribs, and chicken... Sometimes the sausage is substituted with salmon or some other category. These were not sanctioned to be qualifiers

In August the Jack notified us that these qualified under their rules. Providing that they meet the minimum team requirements and for American contests they had to have a governors proclamation which we have not pursued. Canadian events don't need a proclamation therefore the are qualifiers according to the Jack and rules for Canada.

I just hope that all this can be resolved peacefully like the Pig War of 1859!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig_War#The_pig

On the morning of June 15, 1859 an American settler named Lyman Cutlar shot and killed a pig belonging to the Hudson's Bay Company, as it was rooting in his garden. When Cutlar refused to pay for the pig Charles Griffin, the farm's manager demanded his arrest. The other Americans on San Juan sent a petition to Brigadier General William S. Harney the anti-British commander of the Department of Oregon. Harney was regarded by many as something of a hothead.[3] Harney responded by sending troops from the Ninth Infantry under the command of George Pickett to San Juan Island. Pickett arrived there on July 27th.[4]

In the meantime James Douglas, Governor of the Crown Colony of British Columbia dispatched a naval force to protect British interest, although he was angry over the situation he ordered Captain Geoffrey Hornby to avoid armed conflict if possible. Hornby wisely decided not to take too much action until is superior, Rear Admiral Robert L. Baynes arrived. When Baynes arrived on the scene he was shocked to find that the two countries were about to go to war over a pig.[5

Have a drink!

The issue here overall, is not Canadian rules and teams vs. US rules and teams. The essence of the issue is that the Jack chose to allow these contests to be qualifiers for the Jack draw after the fact of the contest. Had teams known this before the contests were executed, they might have made different choices.

As for what the PNWBA choses to do as far as pursuing the proclamations, it does not seem fair to allow the Canadian contest teams who won to receive bungs for the draw, and not pursue the proclamations for the (one contest in Idaho?) US competitions that would qualify.

Hopefully at the beginning of next year it will be clarified for us all so that we are all in understand of the Jack draw rules. It would be nice if we were all in understanding of the rules BEFORE the season begins.

General Henry Robert, author of "Roberts Rules of Order," was in the US Army Engineers as a Lieutenant at the time, and designed the defenses of the American Camp during the Pig War.

Hopefully parliamentary procedure will rule the day to bring a peaceful end to this conundrum.

Oh wait, its the Jack, their rules and their contest, never clear as mud.

I agree with you Matt. However, many IBCA contests can be considered a one day cook also if a team uses a brisket flat. If I remember correctly, the JD rules only say beef, they do not specify what cut of beef. That makes tri-tip legal as long as the sanctioning body and team count are recognized by the JD. The change in language has to come from the JD folks otherwise this will become a regular type of contest just to get a bung. But you are correct, it doesn't seem right to all the other teams who cook all 4 meats.

Why drag IBCA in to this? Do you really think it takes longer to cook a pork butt than a brisket?

To show that the JD has been accepting 3 meat contests for years. Nothing more, nothing less.

Depends on the size of the meats. A flat will cook faster than a butt IMO. But that had nothing to do with my post.

The PNWBA BOD has invited me to voice my opinion on this matter at their meeting tomorrow evening. I do not get a vote...but if I did I would vote NO for pursuing proclamations for one day events in the USA!

Back