Old School Barbecue Seasoning

Thanks, I agree with you on all counts. I know of recipes my grandmother made where the ingredients changed due to "new and improved," but her recipes didn't and the result was they didn't taste as good anymore. I expect the vinegar wasn't nearly as acidic and the mustard neither, so this sauce probably is very different if made now with current ingredients. That is a good idea to dilute the vinegar. I'll have to research and see if I can find some old mustard recipes. This is an interesting topic.

Yep, ingredients today are a bit different than those of 200 years ago. But,
I don't get into the nuances of the differences between ingredients today and centuries ago. As times changed, ingredients changed but recipes stayed the same.

I have no plans of making my own vinegar or other types of ingredients. Virginians used what they had on hand to season barbecue. That's what's in this recipe. The mustard I use is plain old yellow mustard. The old recipes didn't specify whether the mustard was hot English mustard or some kind of French mustard or German mustard. Sometimes recipes do specify dry mustard but most just call for mustard. So, whatever mustard you like is fair game. I use Heinz Apple Cider Vinegar, a store bought currant jelly and Morton's salt. I did grow the cayenne pepper flakes I use but nothing else.

As far as the vinegar goes, I would imagine that home made vinegar would be much less acidic than what we buy nowadays. I account for that in the recipe by adding a 1/4 cup of water.

One old version of this recipe calls for currant or "any acidic jelly." So, there was wiggle room based upon what was on hand.

As a history buff from Virginia myself, I really appreciate this thread! I have recipes from my great grandmother (early 1900s) that I want to go back through now. Can't wait to read your book!

Is this good to use right away? Or does it get better when it sits a while, like the Shack Attack sauce? Gonna make some this weekend. Thanks!

It's good to use after it's cooled down but also ages well after a day or two in the fridge.

Please follow up with a post about the mustard. I'd be interested in reading about it.

Thanks, I agree with you on all counts. I know of recipes my grandmother made where the ingredients changed due to "new and improved," but her recipes didn't and the result was they didn't taste as good anymore. I expect the vinegar wasn't nearly as acidic and the mustard neither, so this sauce probably is very different if made now with current ingredients. That is a good idea to dilute the vinegar. I'll have to research and see if I can find some old mustard recipes. This is an interesting topic.

Making this now. Found a little 8oz jar of Red Currant jelly at Walmart for $2.38 or something. I went to grab my peanut oil and after put in the measurements realized it was my oil i use for frying that I recycled. Still fresh but might have some interesting flavors lol

eta: I used spicey brown mustard as i was all out of prepared.

Also Boshizzle I really dug your shack sauce. Gonna have to make that again; been a couple of years.

Last edited:
Thanks!

I like mustard sauce and I WILL try this on my next BBQ cook to see if it is overpowering or not as one person in my family is not a fan of mustard on her food.

Got a batch cooling down. I assume this is a very thin sauce, yes? Cause that's how it turned out.

Thanks! I have just finished the first draft of a book manuscript on this subject. I am in negotiations with several publishers right now.

Besides Virginia barbecue, I also write about Georgia barbecue. Here is a short excerpt about Georgia -

"I have always admired the zeal and passion that Georgians have for southern barbecue and Brunswick stew. The Georgia barbecue passion has also existed for a long time. As far back as 1895, a newspaper writer observed, “The inner Georgia man longs for barbecue.”

This Georgian love of barbecue is reflected in the fact that some of the best accounts of nineteenth-century barbecues I have read are about barbecues in Georgia. Georgia’s barbecue tradition is a long and deeply held one, to be sure."

Very cool! I am looking forward to your announcement on being published!!!! I will definitely be in line for a first edition!

I like mustard sauce and I WILL try this on my next BBQ cook to see if it is overpowering or not as one person in my family is not a fan of mustard on her food.

I have seen recipes for this sauce that contained less mustard. So, toning that part down is still authentic.

Back