THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Many folks have reported that QA seems to be an issue, so be sure to go to the store and put your hands on the one you intend to buy. Dig through their stock and find the one with the best sealing doors.

Many folks have reported that QA seems to be an issue, so be sure to go to the store and put your hands on the one you intend to buy. Dig through their stock and find the one with the best sealing doors.
Exactly! I've looked at them a few times in different box stores and retail outlets and while they're made of sturdy construction (thick, welded steel) they tend to be a little loose around the doors with uneven cuts and gaps.
I agree with peeps, look em' over really good and find one that seals well or wouldn't be difficult to seal up with a thin bead of high heat silicon calk (which I might do anyway if I bought one). Apart from that issue they seem to be well made cookers at a decent price as I don't recall any major design flaws that would affect it's ability to cook, it's just the craftsmanship that went into them that is a little shaky.:wink::-D

For the price, they are excellent smokers. I have the Ranch Hand Coal Smoker and I absolutely love it. The firebox paint on the outside doesn't last long, so don't expose it to the elements, and while the firebox and cook chamber lids close pretty securely, there is a gap between the damper and the firebox side door, where the damper is, that is still there even 100 percent closed...the damper kinda flops. They gave me mine 50 dollars off because of those minor issues, so if you see something out of the blue that doesn't look quite right to you, see what they will knock off for you. Even with its minor quirks, I know my offset inside and out now, and once you learn how to make one run smoothly, it's easy sailing from there.

Now, you could opt for a heavier gauge smoker from a major manufacturer, but I didn't need one-this was a tax return gift to myself last year. The ONLY issues I have had with mine, other than rust on the firebox now that the outside paint has burned off, is the door on the firebox side, where the damper is, falls off-the weld broke that holds the hinge to the door, and you definitely want to get a better charcoal grate. It's a steel plate with 8 slits cut in it.

Speaking of that, the charcoal grate would make a GREAT diffuser plate in the cook chamber. There is already a baffle in place which was a plus for me.

I'm borrowing my stepdad's Pecos to learn stick burning, and it cooks really well. It's better than the really cheap offsets. My only real gripe is the fire grate--you really want to just pull out the fire grate it comes with and set the grill grate from the fire pit down as low as it will go and build your fire on that.

The firebox door on the one I'm using has gaps, but that doesn't seem to affect how it cooks. It still drafts well.

I do hot & fast cooks on it, using those mini-logs that come in a bag you can buy at the supermarket. I'm preheating sticks and putting one in about every half hour, and the cooker keeps a pretty solid 325F with a very clean fire burning. If you want even heat side-to-side you'll need to get tuning plates made. Recovery time is very quick--if you open the firebox or the cooking chamber door, it's back up to temp in a minute or two.

QC is iffy but pick the best one and add tunning plates and they're not bad. Best Deal on a New Smoker - keep it clean and it'll last 10-12 years -don't and it'll last 3 years.

Last edited:
I would say for the price, I would try to find a tech School, or even a High School that has a welding program, and Talk to the teacher, and see if you purchased the materials and provide a drawing of hat you want, if they could build it as a class project, Of Course waving them of any liabilty. Then as a thank you fire that pig up and cook a lunch for them.

Back