Ok. I'm hooked!

CUTigerQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Ok I'm in. I knew I wanted to compete. I knew I had and still have a LOT to learn but this weekend at Sip and Swine in Lawrenceville, Ga was amazing for me. I had the chance to help but most importantly LEARN from two awesome pit masters in a real live comp. Allen Tucker and Andy Bangs taught me SO MUCH about the game. I learned more in these two days that I could ever hope to learn in just reading about comps. Andy was awesome taking the time to show me things that he had learned the hard way...by making the mistakes it took to learn them. His knowledge of pork butts and competition cooling is phenomenal. Allen Tucker was no slouch either and I learned a TON from listening to him as he went about his business, all the while teaching me and telling me what I need to know. I learned a LOT, but I have so much more to learn from them. I loved every minute if this weekend and can't wait to do it all over again soon with Allen, Andy, and Chattahoochee Que!

Oh, and walking across that stage to get the 8th place pork ribbon with the team didn't hurt. :). Yeah. I'm hooked!

Ha ha, sounds like you been bit by the BBQ bug - welcome to the club brother!

Your experience with Andy Bangs sounds exactly like mine when I called for info on Backwoods. He never seems too busy to talk BBQ, and he really knows the products he recommends, far better than my local dealers do.

I have got so much to learn, it is pathetic! No way I could learn in just one competition where I really didn't do a whole lot BUT learn...which is exactly what I wanted and needed. I honestly couldn't have asked for two better teachers that Allen and Andy. I am just so grateful for everything that they did for me all weekend!

This journey is just starting!

Welcome indeed....
Just note when buying a new comp pit... It best to ask for forgiveness to the wife instead of permission....

Allen I didn't put 2 and 2 together in the morning on Saturday when I wandered over to see what was happening at chattahoochee's site :crazy:. I blame lack of sleep and being an idiot. So glad you got to see what was going on. There is a lot to learn and what works for one team doesn't always work for another so you just gotta keep at it and play around a lot. Good luck man!

I knew you were gonna be hooked. Great meeting you this weekend! Thanks again for emailing me the Chattahoochee Que Pork recipe :becky:

I kid, I kid!

Allen I didn't put 2 and 2 together in the morning on Saturday when I wandered over to see what was happening at chattahoochee's site :crazy:. I blame lack of sleep and being an idiot. So glad you got to see what was going on. There is a lot to learn and what works for one team doesn't always work for another so you just gotta keep at it and play around a lot. Good luck man!

It's all good man. I was freezing and sleep deprived myself. At that point, I was miserable but quickly got over it. Lol

I knew you were gonna be hooked. Great meeting you this weekend! Thanks again for emailing me the Chattahoochee Que Pork recipe :becky:

I kid, I kid!

OMG don't let Allen think that. Lol. Even though I have no clue about their recipes. Actually I don't even WANT to know the recipes. I want my own. I'll email you MINE if you want. Lol. Salt, pepper, PB2, a little foot powder, and some Gold Bond for that kick at the end. Yep. :wacko::thumb:

Best/worst thing that ever happened to me was a 2nd place call in ribs at an amateur comp. My sympathies.

Congrats man! My first chance will be the weekend of May 28th. I'm excited. Hope to hear more of your journey in the future!

Best/worst thing that ever happened to me was a 2nd place call in ribs at an amateur comp. My sympathies.

That's the truth, first contest I did was a KCBS full contest and we got a second place pork, talk about a bug that bites hard!

Welcome to the club!

I won sauce way back in 2003, hooked big time. Never quit learning -- there's no such thing as the "perfect" recipe.

Sip and Swine was a great contest. We had Dale from Pirates of Porkscents taking us under his wing this go round. That guy is an absolute pleasure, would pay money to cook next to him again. Nice guy and good taste in music. On our first outing at the National, we were next door to Checkered Pig. Tommy came by to welcome us and gave us a few tips. Part of the fun is hanging out with all the characters and learning a thing or two. We ended up taking 2nd in Backyard Division and are already chomping at the bit for our next comp. Hopefully will see you all out there. BBQ comp might be a sickness, but boy it sure does smell and taste wonderful.

Back