THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rubmybutt

Full Fledged Farker
Well we pulled it off, I was pooped big time by Sat. nite when all was said and done but the reward was everyone loved the food and that was all I needed to hear. Here's how it went. Got up at 4am and took this first pic, it's really pharkin dark at four and to prove it I took the towards the eastern sky.

This is fleet I was going to use for my day of ASH distruction:becky:
Twinsbirthdayparty002.jpg

Got the coals started, went through two bags of Kingsford, good thing I stocked up!
Twinsbirthdayparty003.jpg

Got the pork butts dryed after injecting three days earlier with apple juice brown sugar and Sweet Baby Rays and rubbed down with Plowboys Yardbird rub.
Twinsbirthdayparty004.jpg

Twinsbirthdayparty006.jpg

Next came the brisket, it got injected also but with Butchers brisket injection and gold dust. I did not dry this off I just hit it with Plowboys Bovine Bold and yes it is!
Twinsbirthdayparty007.jpg

Here we are at 5:45 AM, still dark as phark but this is where I want to thank the Brethren, get the fire going way in advance and put the meat on when the smoke turns blue. I can't believe the difference, it started smelling delish in about 10 minutes!
Twinsbirthdayparty009.jpg

After the sun was up a while I started cooking some breakfast, so grabbed the cast skillet and threw in some apple bacon, then some O'brian potatos and some scrambled eggs. With a Weber it don't take long!
Twinsbirthdayparty010.jpg

Twinsbirthdayparty011.jpg

Next we fried up some onions carrots mushrooms in a secret sauce and used a portion of this in my fatties
Twinsbirthdayparty012.jpg

Here's the build pic of the fatties.
Twinsbirthdayparty013.jpg

And here's where most of the food went after it got cooked:becky: Tony up front and my brother Kurt holding up the wall of the shop!
Twinsbirthdayparty014.jpg

I'm am sorry to say the camera took a er crap and thats all the pic's I got on Saturday. I will tell you I went 5 hours on the offset at 250 uncovered. I then double wrapped the brisket in foil and put the butts in a big aluminum turkey pan and hit everything with apple juice. I pulled the brisket in 3 hours and placed in a cooler, I ran the butts up to 203 degrees. Drained the juice into two seperate crock pots, sliced the brisket and pulled the pork and rang the dinner bell. I also cooked up some brisket moinks and for some reason the fatties just had to get finished in the oven but the brisket was spot azz on, there was non left, a little butt, the moinks were gone and what was left of the fatty we had with eggs Sunday morning. I got the camera fixed just in time Sunday morning to snap this shot of us making another 40 quarts of salsa. My wife said no pic's so don't tell her I posted this:becky:
Twinsbirthdayparty017.jpg

Now I know what folks mean when they say there glad to go back to work to rest up, whew what a weekend!:thumb:

Last edited:
Everyone was happy and that's what matters. 3 day injected pork butts? Is there a particular reason you did that? 4-6 hours should be plenty IMO unless you didn't have the time

Everyone was happy and that's what matters. 3 day injected pork butts? Is there a particular reason you did that? 4-6 hours should be plenty IMO unless you didn't have the time

That is a very good question that I don't have an answer for, at this time. My thought was the longer the injection is in the meat the better it would work PLUS your dealing with a guy that has so much to learn here, kinda like I'm half way through second grade:becky:! I've been injecting turkeys for 20 + years and if I have time I'll do them a week in advance and have always had good luck with poultry but thats just my 2 cents.

I do want to say it again and again that EVERYONE here is so helpful, if you don't see a post on a question you have just start a thread and walla you get not one but a whole handful of ideas that will make your Q better than you ever thought!:thumb:

Hey to each his own, if that worked for you go with it. In the future, just my opinion, 24 hours should be plenty of time to get all your injected goodness in those shoulders :becky:

That is a very good question that I don't have an answer for, at this time. My thought was the longer the injection is in the meat the better it would work PLUS your dealing with a guy that has so much to learn here, kinda like I'm half way through second grade:becky:! I've been injecting turkeys for 20 + years and if I have time I'll do them a week in advance and have always had good luck with poultry but thats just my 2 cents.

I do want to say it again and again that EVERYONE here is so helpful, if you don't see a post on a question you have just start a thread and walla you get not one but a whole handful of ideas that will make your Q better than you ever thought!:thumb:

Back