Oh man I joined the offset club

Yep...That's the last one on my list to get. When the money gets right, it's going to be mine.

Welcome to the club!! You're gonna love it.

You know what you need to obsess about next? Your wood rack and wood pile! Do you have one already?

Lol, I was figuring on a pork butt as my first cook. . .kinda treating it like my first ever bbq cook so I'm wanting some wiggle room.. .

It's funnt you ask txqguy, I was just on craigslist looking up wood . .. I don't have any right now but plan on having a nice pile of oak and hopefully some cherry by the time it gets here...I'll have to figure out how much I should keep on hand and how to identify oak when buying

Last edited:
You can’t start building up your wood stash soon enough - around here a lot of the wood sold as “firewood” is greener than I’d like for running in a smoker, so I usually have to buy some and sit on it a while before it’s ready. Every now and then I will get some that is just about right where I want it.

Last edited:
I use a moisture meter, and or go by heft/weight, or even hitting two pieces together to make just the right “crack” sound.

Unless you get in good with a regular supplier that you trust I would probably take whatever the seller tells you with a grain of salt...everyone has “seasoned 1 year+” wood when it’s quite obvious that is not the case. Isn’t making them any money just sitting there drying out.

Thanks, I was figuring I might need a moisture meter. . .I've still got a few months but will start getting some on next month, and if I can't source any that are dry enough hopefully I can get some from a friend that has a bunch for heating. . .great tips, thank you

Lol, I know. . .I've watched so many videos on them, visit the page every day, look up offset cooks all day. . .its turning into a thing. . .

You're hooked, and are being reeled in.
There are much worse things to get hooked on though... :wink:

Congratulations!

Now... go chop wood.
We expect at least 2 cords. Never mind fooling around on the Internet. :hand:
You've got a new master. :shocked:

Congrats!!! Right behind you. Ordered a 20x42. Just picked up a half cord of oak and hickory. The wait is going to be hard

Lol, I was figuring on a pork butt as my first cook. . .kinda treating it like my first ever bbq cook so I'm wanting some wiggle room.. .

It's funnt you ask txqguy, I was just on craigslist looking up wood . .. I don't have any right now but plan on having a nice pile of oak and hopefully some cherry by the time it gets here...I'll have to figure out how much I should keep on hand and how to identify oak when buying

If you don't wanna spend a lot on a heavy-duty rack, I recommend this one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0030T13F4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

I have one and it's held up perfectly over two years...just hit it with a couple coats of heavy-duty Rustoleum and make sure to use pressure-treated 2x4s.

You can sorta see it in the background here. I hit it with John Deere green paint. Mine holds 1/4 cord at full capacity. :-D

dMzhR5bh.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats on the new offset! The wait seems to take forever.......but it's worth it!! I recommend the single door with counter weight. It's money well spent IMO. Not just for the ability to do a whole hog, but it adds more flexibility and capacity to the smoker.

I'm sure there are benefits to both styles, but I haven't once regretted the initial investment on the single door.

I just received my LSG 24” cabinet offset a little over a week ago. I made my first cook this last weekend and it was all I expected it to be.

I have been able to use a borrowed offset a few times a year for a number of years. My wife and I have been making improvements to our yard and built an outdoor kitchen. I decided it was time to own my own offset.

I used mesquite for my first cook. It is ubiquitous around here. I use it in my wood oven as well. I have a cord of oak ordered. I'll see how it compares to the mesquite.

For the first cook I smoked a leg of lamb that I had in the freezer and two pork butts. I pulled them and took them to work for my coworkers. I also smoked a rack of spare ribs and some wings. That was a lot of food for just me and my wife but I wanted to "get to know" the cooker. People are always happy to help me eat excess food.

I now have this smoker in addition to my eggs and wood oven. Each cooker has properties and characteristics that make it shine. I think for smoked meats it's difficult to beat the flavor profile of a high airflow wood fire from an offset. I love the eggs - they are my idea of an all purpose grill/smoker. Not perfect at anything, but dang good for a lot of things. My wood oven gets a lot of use as well - not just for pizzas.

Back